Author Topic: Why Is Sex Outside of Marriage A Sin?  (Read 79716 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: Why Is Sex Outside of Marriage A Sin?
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:00 pm »
And am I the only one who thought of Pastor Dave from That 70's Show?

Because he was pretty awesome.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2012, 07:13:16 pm »
The Bible promotes complete abstinence before marriage. Sex between a husband and his wife is the only form of sexual relations of which God approves. Just look at Hebrews 13:4
 "Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge" So why would one want to take part in immorality and risk their eternal soul. It is just not worth displeasing God for a bit of lustful fornication.

Frankly I don't mind having a different view on the subject--even though I totally disagree. Actually I think that leads to the most fun on this board.
Is a bit of hedonistic pleasure worth eternal damnation? God gave us a great big pineapple and He said don't touch it. He didn't say touch it once in a while; He didn't say take a nibble when you're hungry; He said don't touch it, period.
I didn't even see that you quoted what I said. Were you responding to me?

Okay, well, I'm pretty much neutral on sex. If you want to have it outside of marriage that's up to you. If you want to wait until you marry that's also fine. To me it comes down to what you and your partner are comfortable with. Though I'm an atheist so unfortunately any argument based on Biblical admonitions won't really convince me.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2012, 07:14:59 pm »
I'm atheist, but if I weren't, why worship a god who's enough of a jackhole to make sex feel so good, then ban it under many circumstances? That's just a dick move.

Yeah but you're just a walking baby incubator so your opin-*blows up*

Ironbite-*respawns*  That was way too much bullshit even for me.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2012, 07:36:42 pm »
Many things are pleasurable that should not be indulged in. Drinking and drugs are supposed to be pleasureable but lead to debaucherous behavior. Gambling is a worldly pleasure for though it leads to broken homes and tremendous loss. The Lord is testing us everyday with worldly pleasures. Unbridled lust, excess, licentiousness, wantonness, outrageousness, shamelessness, insolence, and drunkenness we must avoid like the plague. The Bible says that you “cannot serve two masters.” Either you are obeying God, doing what is right, or you are doing what the world does. Those who are seeking the pleasures in this world are honoring themselves, not God.

Drinking, drugs, and gambling aren't the same as sex. Each of those have clear negative consequences- drugs and alcohol are literally poisonous, for example.
I know where this is headed: Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

Had an abstinence-only Sex Ed. class in school so I'm used to all the arguments against premarital sex.

Ah, but I mentioned that it harms no one if done safely.

And my private Catholic high school taught Sex Ed the real way- encourage abstinence and good judgement, sure, but also explaining exactly how birth control and condoms work and how to be safe about it. The analogy they used was that "Telling you not to have sex is like telling you not to get acne— no matter how much your mind tries to resist, your body has other ideas."
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »
What if I choose to glorify God by jerking off with bacon grease? He should love me for who I am.

If you really wanted to glorify God with bacon grease, you would use it to fry up some eggs and hash browns with onions and peppers.

Anything else, while not necessarily a sin, is a waste of perfectly good bacon grease.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:50 pm »
Mod_ Reactor Activated____|

Pastor Dave, people here are generally comfortable with their current religious status.  If you want to preach here, take it to the Preaching and Worship section of these forums and debate and proselytize there.

Mod_Reactor Deactived___|
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:48 pm »
Many things are pleasurable that should not be indulged in. Drinking and drugs are supposed to be pleasureable but lead to debaucherous behavior. Gambling is a worldly pleasure for though it leads to broken homes and tremendous loss. The Lord is testing us everyday with worldly pleasures. Unbridled lust, excess, licentiousness, wantonness, outrageousness, shamelessness, insolence, and drunkenness we must avoid like the plague. The Bible says that you “cannot serve two masters.” Either you are obeying God, doing what is right, or you are doing what the world does. Those who are seeking the pleasures in this world are honoring themselves, not God.

Drinking, drugs, and gambling aren't the same as sex. Each of those have clear negative consequences- drugs and alcohol are literally poisonous, for example.
I know where this is headed: Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

Had an abstinence-only Sex Ed. class in school so I'm used to all the arguments against premarital sex.

Ah, but I mentioned that it harms no one if done safely.

And my private Catholic high school taught Sex Ed the real way- encourage abstinence and good judgement, sure, but also explaining exactly how birth control and condoms work and how to be safe about it. The analogy they used was that "Telling you not to have sex is like telling you not to get acne— no matter how much your mind tries to resist, your body has other ideas."

Same way. They referred to it as "Safer Sex" sort of how we refer to tasers as "Less-Lethal." It helps... but in some cases it still results in issues.

Which is true. "Safe-sex" isn't usually 100% fail-proof.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2012, 01:35:12 am »
Ok, Dave, you're gonna have to take a better route than the whole "the commandment said none of this, so none of this ever", especially when you're dealing with a god that commanded no killing/murder, then ordered a whole lot of genocides (Before having his army stomped by some bumpkins with iron chariots).

EDIT: Might as well have some more fun with this, seeing as Rinella is making some more reasonable posts as compared to Dave.

Just curious about something, the definition of adultery according to most Christians is sex outside of marriage in any form. Be it pre-marriage, an extra-marital affair, or a widow remarrying (according to the Bible at any rate). Now, based on this, how can someone say that Jesus isn't the result of adultery. Last I checked, Mary wasn't married to Yahweh. Or does it not count since apparently "because God"?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:55:39 am by Mechtaur »

QueenofHearts

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2012, 02:05:22 am »
And am I the only one who thought of Pastor Dave from That 70's Show?
Because he was pretty awesome.

I knew that name was familiar

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2012, 03:40:43 am »
EDIT: Might as well have some more fun with this, seeing as Rinella is making some more reasonable posts as compared to Dave.

I hope that's a good thing.

Just curious about something, the definition of adultery according to most Christians is sex outside of marriage in any form. Be it pre-marriage, an extra-marital affair, or a widow remarrying (according to the Bible at any rate). Now, based on this, how can someone say that Jesus isn't the result of adultery. Last I checked, Mary wasn't married to Yahweh. Or does it not count since apparently "because God"?

I can't speak for all Christians, but I don't think of Christ as being "conceived" in the normal sense. He simply appeared in Mary's womb. God and Mary didn't literally have sex.

And adultery, to my knowledge, means cheating in a married relationship. Sex before marriage is "fornication".
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2012, 08:18:49 am »
The Bible promotes complete abstinence before marriage. Sex between a husband and his wife is the only form of sexual relations of which God approves. Just look at Hebrews 13:4
 "Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge" So why would one want to take part in immorality and risk their eternal soul. It is just not worth displeasing God for a bit of lustful fornication.

OK, here's the thing: only 2 forms of sex are really condemned in the Bible.  Prostitution, and adultery.  And the only way to have adultery is if one or both of the people having sex are married to other people.

So if neither of you are married, it's not adultery.  Words have meanings.

By the way, Dave?  Here are a lot of hedonistic pleasures I enjoy, that are not considered sinful by any definition:

- Sewing.
- Playing video games.
- Singing silly songs.
- Quoting Doctor Who and Star Wars back and forth with my boyfriend.
- Crochet.
- Making Jell-O gummies.
- Playing tug-of-war and fetch with my dog.
- Reading.
- Walking in the fresh air and sunshine.
- Trying new foods.
- Dressing up for Renaissance Faires.

It just seems silly and wrong to equate all pleasure with sin the way you're doing.  There are so many pleasurable things in life that don't hurt anyone and are not against any religion.  Why would any loving deity not want our lives to have any fun in them at all?  Sure there's suffering, but there is also joy.  To ignore the joy will sap the life out of you if you let it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:29:16 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2012, 09:24:26 am »
Many things are pleasurable that should not be indulged in. Drinking and drugs are supposed to be pleasureable but lead to debaucherous behavior. Gambling is a worldly pleasure for though it leads to broken homes and tremendous loss.

You forgot something here. Drinking and drugs can lead to debaucherous behavior. And gambling has potential to lead to broken homes and tremendous loss. Not will, but may.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline PastorDave

• Neonate
  • Blessed in our Lord Jesus Christ
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2012, 09:57:57 am »

You forgot something here. Drinking and drugs can lead to debaucherous behavior. And gambling has potential to lead to broken homes and tremendous loss. Not will, but may.
  Why risk it? Not to mention the fact that you are sacrificing your eternal soul for worldly pleasures. 
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you" Exodus 20:12

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2012, 10:05:26 am »

Why risk it? Not to mention the fact that you are sacrificing your eternal soul for worldly pleasures.

Because my belief structure differs from yours, the risk is very different. And again, differing beliefs, I tend to view my eternal soul differently along with the role of worldly pleasures. But really, none of that makes your argument that what you said about drinking, gambling, and drugs factually incorrect. It's really dishonest to say gambling, drinking, or drugs will lead to a broken home or anything else you've said.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:12 am »
Sorry for the double post. For some reason, I couldn't get the modify button working.

Anyways, Pastor Dave, I have a question for you. You brought up Hebrews 13:4, which says "Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge" Awesome! But the problem is it does little to address the original question. See, being a whore means trading some sort of goods or services in exchange for sex. And adultery means at least one person in the relationship is married. But what the original question is talking about is premarital and (I'm assuming) with no thought to any kind of payment. Your verse did mention marriage is honorable, but it said nothing at all about premarriage. If you could address that, please, I'd like to hear your thoughts.