Author Topic: ComicCon stuntmen save suicide jumper  (Read 4949 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
ComicCon stuntmen save suicide jumper
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:10:20 pm »
In San Diego setting up a "Kick-Ass 2" promotion at Comic-Con, three stuntmen came to the rescue of a distressed, suicidal woman threatening to jump from a 14-story apartment balcony.
The woman's green shorts get-up was originally mistaken for an attempt at guerilla marketing to promote "Kick-Ass 2", a movie that features it's hero wearing a similar ensemble. But when the woman, described as drunk and distraught over a breakup, climbed over the railing sans harness, bystanders and neighbors realized she intended to kill herself.
"Don't do it! Don't jump!" they yelled to the woman as police and firefighters responded to the scene.
Before cops could get there, the three stuntmen scaled a fence and entered the apartment complex where they got the OK to head upstairs. They found the unidentified woman's apartment unlocked, and sneaked through so the woman wouldn't hear them. As they approached, "she was hanging on [THE BALCONY]with one hand, and had one foot off the ledge," Carver told ABC.
"She was ready to go," Gregg Sargeant told KERO-TV.
The team made it out on the balcony and Sargeant wrapped her in a bear hug as Carver and Scott Schecter secured her in a harness. The crowd below burst into applause and cheers as she was pulled in safely.
"She just kept saying, 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry,' over and over again," Carver said. "She was very distraught."
Apparently she had just had a breakup and was drunk, which may have been what pushed her to climb out there in the first place.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/watch-real-life-superheroes-save-day-comic-con-article-1.1405450

Video of the actual rescue:
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Re: ComicCon stuntmen save suicide jumper
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:51:51 pm »
Glad that woman was saved, I think I would want that if I was suicidal like her.

Annnnnd... some of the comments on youtube are straight up ignorant.

I have no sympathy for people that try to kill themselves. Such a selfish act.

If she wanted to end it she would have just jumped. Clearly it was just a "Cry for help"

The Kick Ass producers should be ashamed of themselves for staging a suicide attempt as a publicity stunt

Publicity stunt? Really? What company in their right mind would want to stage something like this and terrify people? It would be a disaster for that crew's business.

1:07 i wonder if they guy got turned on from having his hands so close to her boobs. His arms are literally right under them !!!

She was hanging of the damn railing! How else were they going to grab her and yeah what you said was perverted.

Gah! Some people are just so damn insensitive, but what really gets me is how some of them are mocking this suicide attempt. Apparently some think it's funny or something.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:12:06 pm »
It's the internet. Jerks are one of the main inhabitants. I've kinda become inured by now.

On the other hand, those guys who saved her are awesome.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:55 pm »
I'm still not gonna see Kick-Ass 2.

Offline Potenatae Argyros

• Neonate
  • Sorry to pop in unannounced.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:20:46 am »
Glad that woman was saved, I think I would want that if I was suicidal like her.

Annnnnd... some of the comments on youtube are straight up ignorant.

I have no sympathy for people that try to kill themselves. Such a selfish act.

If she wanted to end it she would have just jumped. Clearly it was just a "Cry for help"

The Kick Ass producers should be ashamed of themselves for staging a suicide attempt as a publicity stunt

Publicity stunt? Really? What company in their right mind would want to stage something like this and terrify people? It would be a disaster for that crew's business.

1:07 i wonder if they guy got turned on from having his hands so close to her boobs. His arms are literally right under them !!!

She was hanging of the damn railing! How else were they going to grab her and yeah what you said was perverted.

Gah! Some people are just so damn insensitive, but what really gets me is how some of them are mocking this suicide attempt. Apparently some think it's funny or something.

Because it's YouTube, they have the second largest population of assholes living by the GIFT.
I came up with this signature all by myself.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:33:41 am »
Of all works, how fitting. Can't wait to see the film.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:36:13 am »
Because it's YouTube, they have the second largest population of assholes living by the GIFT.

GIFT?

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:40:04 am »

GIFT?

Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:06:31 am »

GIFT?

Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Ah. Makes a lot of sense, actually. Thanks.

Back on topic: these stuntmen all deserve medals!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 02:11:12 am »
Considering the ComicCon focuses on general nerdom instead of just comic book fandom, combined with the act of valor expressed there:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 03:38:37 am »
I am truly glad that ended well. Congratulations to the men who rescued her.
It makes me angry that the people who write those comments don't understand what being suicidal is all about. The one that annoys me the most is the people who say that committing suicide is the cowards way out or the easy way out. They don't understand that to try and commit suicide is one of the hardest things to do ever, every instinct in our bodies is for self preservation and to be hurting so much to actually even try and overcome that is a feat in its own right.

I wonder what the guy who was on the balcony below was saying. It looked like he was trying to persuade her to get back inside, but I would like to know his version of the story. It could be interesting.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 09:11:45 am »
I am truly glad that ended well. Congratulations to the men who rescued her.
It makes me angry that the people who write those comments don't understand what being suicidal is all about. The one that annoys me the most is the people who say that committing suicide is the cowards way out or the easy way out. They don't understand that to try and commit suicide is one of the hardest things to do ever, every instinct in our bodies is for self preservation and to be hurting so much to actually even try and overcome that is a feat in its own right.

I wonder what the guy who was on the balcony below was saying. It looked like he was trying to persuade her to get back inside, but I would like to know his version of the story. It could be interesting.
Agreed. I mean, I've been there. I've been talked out of it several times. Anyone who thinks it's the coward's way out deserves some kind of trauma.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:45 am »
been there too, and despite all my friends believing me when i say i'm not suicidal, they do think it's the coward's way out. a cry for help is usually calculated to at worst land you in the hospital, not full-blown critical existence failure. although i don't think they deserve physical trauma, i do believe that they should experience a controlled suicide attempt, to see how it feels to actually take your own life. i know that i was lucky, but the mix of emotions i felt is simply undescribable to regular people (my gf has been in combat, and oddly enough, relates to that feeling of detached calm regarding your own life). it's not something a coward would do.

actually, i can draw a parallel here between the jumper and the stuntmen: one was taking calculated risks and ignoring basic personnal safety to save a soul, the other was taking uncalculated risks and ignoring basic personnal safety because she was out of her head due to psychological and emotionnal distress. the difference? one wanted to save (and screw my life), the other said "screw my life", and was happily saved. the difference between heros and nutters, perhaps?

anywho, back to lurking  :)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯