Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 63360 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2015, 10:47:15 pm »
So this happened to me on Saturday. I felt I had to subject the offending d20 to public humiliation.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2015, 11:11:55 pm »
I've shattered dice with a hammer for less. The next d4 killed a Troll on the damage roll from a cantrip.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2015, 01:50:03 am »
I'm in 3 tabletop campaigns.

Mythic Finland / Praedor campaign which has been going on for two years.

Traveller campaign which has been going for a year at least.

And now a 2300AD campaign for which we made characters BEFORE the Traveller campaign, but we never got to play and the campaign should be starting next week.

Except that due to my new job my schedule is a mess and I'm not sure if I have the time to play AND for my other hobbies. I am already missing SCA fighting training because most of my days are on evening shift (which makes it really hard to have the time for any hobbies) and I am seriously wondering what RPG campaign(s) I am going to end. I like all of them (and the 2300AD one won't have enough players without me) but I simply don't have the time.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2015, 02:27:15 am »
I just recently started gaming again after work and time management issues forced a hiatus over the summer. After moving back to the USA and settling in Arizona, I discovered that there's a local chapter of the Pathfinder Society here. I managed to jump right in as I had a couple of active characters from back when I was playing in the Virginia chapter of it.

By the way, my ranger did survive Saturday's game, though he had to drop 380 gp on a Restoration spell to get his Wisdom back.

I also found a Meetup group that's trying to put together a D&D 3.5 campaign starting Thursday, which ought to be interesting.

Even Then

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2015, 06:45:53 pm »
What's this Mythic Finland campaign? Sounds neat :3

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2015, 02:23:30 am »
We are using the rules from Praedor but the setting is homebrew. The GM is a historian and we started with an extremely realistic campaign. We play a clan (well "suku" but clan is the best translation for this purpose) and the game has politics action and a surprising amount of "daily life" things as well. For example, we calculate things like how much our crops and hunting produce food and so on.

Then after the game had been going for over a year the clan was visited by an elf. And a troll. And then things started happening as more and more mythological things were included in the game. Now one of the characters is actually engaged to a local god...

Now that was a funny story, two characters were lost in the spirit world and couldn't find a way back so they had to bargain with a creature that they met there. Which turned out to be one of the lake gods. After missing several hints at a much better solution to their predicament one of them was offered to become the wife of that god. I actually had trouble keeping from metagaming as my character wasn't there but the players kept making things worse for themselves...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2015, 03:27:01 pm »
Years ago, I started collecting Star Wars Miniatures, but I never played the game since it didn't seem to have rules for solitaire play.  Well, recently, I downloaded the updated Chain Reaction rules and used those to run some SW games.  Here's the first:

http://shonsgamecorner.blogspot.com/2015/08/cr3-and-star-wars.html
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2015, 07:00:50 pm »
i have a group of friends, and between us five created a post-apocalyptic world. two years ago to the day, i started telling the story. 350-odd days later, it ended. one of my friends had a story to tell, so he became game-master, and i a player. our second campaign ended in a very shakespearean tragedy kind of ending. now, the two past game-masters are briefing the new (and third) game-master. once all five players will have told their story, we will begin the cycle anew.

and maybe, just maybe one day, i'll write down the stories, and what stories, my friends.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2015, 02:13:14 am »

You thought this thread was practically dead, that it was just circling down the drain and we couldn't do a thing to save it...

But we here at OCP can fix it. We can make it better. New and improved, more horsepower, more weapons, internal cooling systems and ribbed for her pleasure with an external clit vibrator installed for free.

...Anyway, in a current campaign our team of Space pirates and venture capitalists were hired to clear out a space station. We had already gotten friendly with the port crew but since the job demanded that the station will be completely empty of life our captain decided to simply kill everyone...

The station itself was described to be massive, closer in scale to the Omega from Mass effect than ISS. The population on the station was divided. The harbour is controlled by a group that came in fairly recently but the station is thousands of years old, built by unknown alien species before humans got here. And humans also got here centuries ago but after a strange disease killed most of the occupants and turned the rest into madmen the station is in a rather strange state.

Harbour as I said is controlled by one group (few thousand strong), they have locked the doors outside the harbour and occasionally have to fight off the lunatics who try to drive them off the station. The lunatics are divided into several tribes that live far from each other and always react violently when they meet an outsider. The disease they suffer from has little physical effects but it means that they can not communicate with anyone who does not have the same strain of disease... This means that there are hundreds of thousands of people on the station living in a approx 20k person tribes that are seemingly cultured and peaceful but turn into violent maniacs who kill people on sight if they are not suffering from the exact same strain of disease...

Since we only have 20 or so people on our ship and didn't want to waste time getting an army here we move in small infiltration teams and move across the station sabotaging life support systems (The station is needed intact so we'll leave the parts to the new owners so that they can fix it) and this is forcing the tribes to fight each other and pretty soon they have to swarm and attack the harbour.

Naturally there is also a very high chance that we fuck up something and get caught in crossfire and killed. It was easy in the beginning when we were taking them by surprise and sent a surgical strike team to the life support system control room, now that the remaining groups are all fighting each other already and the harbour control is probably expecting something things are going to get really tough.

Also, our marines and my character are getting PTSD from this. It's not everyday that you have to personally shoot hundreds of frothing maniacs who charge at you fearlessly while screaming incomprehensibly. (Personally I would have gone for a more diplomatic solution but I'm not in charge of the team.)

...In lighter news, once this campaign is over I am going to run an Only War military campaign. After trying to figure out how I would do the maps I decided to use Google maps and some aerial pictures from the World wars.

"Here is your target and the map you get form Munitorium." *Hands the players a map of Dresden in 1940s.*

"It is slightly out of date..." *The players enter a city not completely unlike Dresden after the bombings*

I will also use Hiroshima at some point.

Then again I am a horrible person.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2015, 08:56:17 am »
...In lighter news, once this campaign is over I am going to run an Only War military campaign. After trying to figure out how I would do the maps I decided to use Google maps and some aerial pictures from the World wars.

"Here is your target and the map you get form Munitorium." *Hands the players a map of Dresden in 1940s.*

"It is slightly out of date..." *The players enter a city not completely unlike Dresden after the bombings*

I will also use Hiroshima at some point.

Then again I am a horrible person.

you're talking to someone who played a cross between the joker and bugs bunny. after 3 small-yield atom bombs went off because of her (as in, she rigged them herself), she was considered too dangerous to live for the sake of the roleplaying universe and we unanimously put her down. she was in the span of 3 in-game months responsible for over 3.500 deaths. serial killer doesn't begin to cut it.

the worst of it all? she was chaotic neutral, and quite affable (if completely unhinged and amoral). that's right. she did it all for shits and giggles. as a side note, i'm not allowed to play sociopaths anymore.

also, completely envious, i'd love to try out some only war at one point.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2015, 09:32:14 am »
Didn't you live in France? IF the game is over roll 20, Skype or something we might even be able to play together.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2015, 09:38:22 am »
Didn't you live in France? IF the game is over roll 20, Skype or something we might even be able to play together.

only war is d100, like dark heresy, rogue trader, and black crusade. best case scenario would be i show you my dice rolls. i'd love to, but keep in mind when i role-play i tend to do it for the better (or funnier) story. i'm not a power-gamer unless it generates copious amounts of lulz, like for instance old man henderson. after that, i'm very well versed in warhammer 40k, i used to play guard too.  wouldn't it be tough for you guys to speak a whole session in english rather than finnish?

... confession: i'd love to play a drop-storm-trooper armed with an autocannon. death from above meets almost enough dakka. with an odd habit, like painting planets from above when in transit.

also, for the lulz, pretty relevant.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:48:17 am by guizonde »

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2015, 10:03:17 am »
Speaking English is not an issue to us and Roll20 can do 1d100 I think. Anyway, rolling the dice is the smallest problem, if nothing else works we could just count on you telling your dice results and not cheating since that is just stupid.

Still, if the campaign is happening it won't be until January. We'll end this current campaign by the end of the year even if it means dropping rocks on people. (Well, actually the Imperial navy and the Aslan "space lions" would wage a war and glass the planets in the region.)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2015, 10:31:38 am »
Speaking English is not an issue to us and Roll20 can do 1d100 I think. Anyway, rolling the dice is the smallest problem, if nothing else works we could just count on you telling your dice results and not cheating since that is just stupid.

Still, if the campaign is happening it won't be until January. We'll end this current campaign by the end of the year even if it means dropping rocks on people. (Well, actually the Imperial navy and the Aslan "space lions" would wage a war and glass the planets in the region.)

how will you guys determine the regiment? as a group or appointed by the gm? do you guys already have an idea for the feel and the vibe of the campaign? beyond grimdark, i mean.

also, is it cheating to willingly botch your rolls for comic/story value? after much debate with my band of lunatics, we determined that technically it is cheating, even though we accept the new result when the scenario and the incident favor logically failing. for example, the first time my sociopath detonated a cold fusion generator, i aced my willpower check. i thought it would be funnier for her to get a few more screws loose, so i said i'd botched it. i got caught by my teammate, and we talked about it. at the end of the discussion, it made sense for her to laugh maniacally and lose grip with reality a bit more. it made for a better story, after all, and we don't play to win, but to tell a story. a classic case of roleplaying vs roll-playing.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2015, 10:58:11 am »
a) Lying about your rolls is cheating even if you do it for the sake of humour.

b) If you succeed in your willpower check it means that your character can act based on what you want instead of having some primal fear reaction or something else that the GM declares. You can still have him/her/it decide to go crazy or at least pretend to do so. Panicking is also possible, I've seen more than one character succeed in fear tests and have the player still decided that they will RUN AWAY! rather than stand and fight against the dragon/whatever.

c) The first session will be regiment & character creation with input from all the players. I am going to veto some of the options right from the start, for example it won't be an artillery or tank regiment. Some of the "cheesy" options will also be vetoed if the players attempt them. (Like the Grenadier regiment where everyone is wearing light-carapace armour and carrying plasmaguns with underslung grenade launchers...)

I have a bunch of random ideas and scenes I would like to try but until I see what kind of regiment and squad the players make I can't make proper plans. I may end up running campaigns from the OW books either starting with one or moving into them after the first mission.