Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551637 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #2805 on: March 02, 2014, 12:50:07 am »
There is a difference in saying "you're a useless freak because you're overweight" versus"here are opportunities in which you can improve your health". Thisisthinprivilege does not seem to understand that difference.

(Ironically, tea-bigots hate Michelle Obama's Move campaign. Actually, they just seem to hate everything about Michelle Obama.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:53:19 am by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #2806 on: March 02, 2014, 01:12:23 am »
Nice to know you can be part of one of the most marginalized groups in the west and still be a sexist bigoted pig.  I wonder what would happen is that lesbian lady who's a transphobe (forgot her name) got a hold of this.

Also, I found the tumblr post, and looking through the notes, one of them claims that trans communities are mostly filled with trans men.  That sounds very dubious to me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:14:10 am by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2807 on: March 02, 2014, 02:12:53 am »

Miley Cyrus likes fried chicken and waffles; tumblr has an aneurysm.

Also, I find it interesting that fried chicken was invented in Scotland.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2808 on: March 02, 2014, 02:15:48 am »
Can someone help us non-Americans out by explaining chicken and waffles? I gather it's common in black communities?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2809 on: March 02, 2014, 02:19:05 am »
Can someone help us non-Americans out by explaining chicken and waffles? I gather it's common in black communities?

Yes, but it's also very common in the Southern United States in general. Never mind that fried chicken dates back to medieval Scotland and waffles are from Europe (so accusing the combination of being distinctly black is kind of silly), it was never even exclusively associated with the black community in the first place. Many restaurants that specialize in southern cuisine serve it. Miley Cyrus is still a southern girl who just happens to be really, really weird and probably badly warped from years of Disney control. It's completely normal for her to be eating chicken and waffles.

Maybe they'd have a point if she was also eating a big slice of watermelon and had a glass of grape Kool-Aid with her.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2810 on: March 02, 2014, 02:33:31 am »

Yes, but it's also very common in the Southern United States in general. Never mind that fried chicken dates back to medieval Scotland and waffles are from Europe (so accusing the combination of being distinctly black is kind of silly), it was never even exclusively associated with the black community in the first place. Many restaurants that specialize in southern cuisine serve it. Miley Cyrus is still a southern girl who just happens to be really, really weird and probably badly warped from years of Disney control. It's completely normal for her to be eating chicken and waffles.

Maybe they'd have a point if she was also eating a big slice of watermelon and had a glass of grape Kool-Aid with her.

Ah, thank you. I only starting hearing about chicken and waffles recently, mostly in relation to foods common in black communities, so I was ready to give them the "trying too hard" point (between the obsessive twerking, saying she wants her albums to have a "black sound", etc. it does seem like she and her publicists are desperately trying to push an "urban hip hop" image and falling completely flat), but it sounds like this is just a Tennessean enjoying the food she grew up with.

Calling it appropriation is idiotic in any case. It's food.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2811 on: March 02, 2014, 02:45:09 am »

Ah, thank you. I only starting hearing about chicken and waffles recently, mostly in relation to foods common in black communities, so I was ready to give them the "trying too hard" point (between the obsessive twerking, saying she wants her albums to have a "black sound", etc. it does seem like she and her publicists are desperately trying to push an "urban hip hop" image and falling completely flat), but it sounds like this is just a Tennessean enjoying the food she grew up with.

Calling it appropriation is idiotic in any case. It's food.

Poor Black Americans in the South made fried chicken and waffle one of their dietary habits because it was relatively inexpensive to make. Eventually it evolved into our concept of "soul food". The thing is "soul food" is different things to different groups of Black American and since the South is rather rich in culinary traditions it's more of blend of different culture. I watched a documentary in which it explain that fried chicken and other such soul food were actually pushed on Black people because the rich White Southerners wanted the better food for themselves (relative). In fact, the first Black Panther movement advocated moving away from such foods since it was unhealthy for black people.

In any case, other culture also created fried chicken (try the Indonesian one, it's good).
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2812 on: March 02, 2014, 02:56:57 am »
I watched a documentary in which it explain that fried chicken and other such soul food were actually pushed on Black people because the rich White Southerners wanted the better food for themselves (relative). In fact, the first Black Panther movement advocated moving away from such foods since it was unhealthy for black people.

Which documentary was this? I'm interested in watching it.

(try the Indonesian one, it's good).

Looked it up, and damn, that looks delicious. Apparently it has less grease than American-style fried chicken too. I'll have to try it some time.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2813 on: March 02, 2014, 03:04:39 am »
I watched a documentary in which it explain that fried chicken and other such soul food were actually pushed on Black people because the rich White Southerners wanted the better food for themselves (relative). In fact, the first Black Panther movement advocated moving away from such foods since it was unhealthy for black people.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/soul-food-junkies/

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2814 on: March 02, 2014, 03:06:58 am »
A ton of cultures around the world have fried chicken. American-style fried chicken (which most of us are familiar with) likely originated in Scotland and came about in its modern form in the 19th century when Southerners were able to keep pigs as cheap food sources and use the now-inexpensive lard to fry up just about anything. That's also why the South is stereotyped as loving fried foods: it was cheap and easy to fry up anything when pig farming was so common. Asian and African cultures both have fried chicken as well, and all around the world you'll find fried foods.

That's why squawking about "cultural appropriation" often gets ridiculous. Modern culture is often a mish-mash of centuries of intermingling and "appropriation" that's been long since forgotten or handwaved by SJWs, and some aspects are common in multiple cultures. If twerking is "cultural appropriation", is it appropriation from Africans, American blacks, or Brazilians?

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2815 on: March 02, 2014, 03:24:11 am »
If twerking is "cultural appropriation", is it appropriation from Africans, American blacks, or Brazilians?

I wasn't saying that it's appropriation, just that I sort of agree with the bit about her coming across as a try hard (in regard to the twerking, et al.). Not that it's entirely her fault -- her publicists and managers are almost certainly the driving force behind the attempt to change her image.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/soul-food-junkies/

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2816 on: March 02, 2014, 03:41:46 am »
It's utterly hilarious that the people who're supposedly against racism are basically saying "only black people can eat fried chicken and waffles".

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2817 on: March 02, 2014, 04:15:18 am »
Anybody on here hear about the Nash Grier stuff going on over a YouTube video?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2818 on: March 02, 2014, 04:19:19 am »
It's utterly hilarious that the people who're supposedly against racism are basically saying "only black people can eat fried chicken and waffles".

People are weird.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2819 on: March 02, 2014, 01:28:07 pm »
If twerking is "cultural appropriation", is it appropriation from Africans, American blacks, or Brazilians?

I wasn't saying that it's appropriation, just that I sort of agree with the bit about her coming across as a try hard (in regard to the twerking, et al.). Not that it's entirely her fault -- her publicists and managers are almost certainly the driving force behind the attempt to change her image.

Oh, I know. I brought it up because the entire outcry against Miley from SJWs has been accusing her of trying to "appropriate black culture." My point is that with all of the mish-mash that modern culture is today, and with how so many specific aspects of a culture are present in various forms in other cultures, screaming "APPROPRIATION!" is utterly ridiculous.

Just about every culture that exists nowadays only exists in its current form because of appropriation that took place over centuries past, but no SJW would ever talk about that. They'll gladly eat pizza, burgers, and hot dogs when all of these "American" foods come from other cultures (hamburgers in particular are confusing, as they're believed to have originated all the way back with the Mongols and spread to Germany from there). Maybe they've said "c'est la vie" or other phrases from a foreign language, all while decrying white people who use terminology repeated from black rappers.

On top of their almost definite hypocrisy in talking about appropriation, the entire idea of "cultural appropriation" is ridiculous in more ways than one. It treats culture essentially like a sacred cow, something to be viewed carefully from afar and harshly restricted to very specific people. I'm not talking about genuinely offensive things, like Halloween costumes of racist stereotypes or turning sacred items like Native American war bonnets into cheap fashion statements. I'm talking about any attempt to prevent the intermingling of cultures, and trying to ban people from taking aspects that they enjoy and trying to incorporate them into their lives. It ironically ends up being racist in its own way: only certain people are allowed to do certain things, and another race doing it "just ain't right."

Anybody on here hear about the Nash Grier stuff going on over a YouTube video?

Fuck that kid. Long story short, he and his friends put up a video talking about "what guys want in girls". They were basically setting their ideal standard for a girl and saying that girls should change themselves to follow it if they wanted to get a boyfriend, which included things like:

* Being petite and having a cute smile.

* Shaving all facial and body hair.

* Playing "hard to get" without being too easy, because that makes you a whore. But don't play too hard to get, or guys think you don't like them and they won't care about you.

* You can never be better at video games than a guy. Period.

The video lasted five days before backlash resulted in it being deleted.

Inspired by this, people looked up more about him. Turns out he's got a downright obscene amount of homophobic statements on his Twitter.