Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551540 times)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #3555 on: May 08, 2014, 05:54:45 pm »
Yeah, their type especially piss me off. Hey jerks, I've got Asperger's Syndrome, and it's no joke. It's the main reason I'm 23 and still living with my parents, never had a job, socially inept, etc. It is NOT an excuse to be an arrogant asshole.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #3556 on: May 08, 2014, 08:49:27 pm »
In my experience, it's often been used as an excuse to be an arrogant asshole to me.
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3557 on: May 08, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »
So, to some degree, s/he has a point. Psychology, at worst, can involve the imposition of quite severe and compulsory invasive medical treatment without any proper grounding in, you know, evidence. It HAS been used by dictators. The psychological project DOES flirt with a sort-of make-everyone-the-same conformity in the name of science that Kurt Vonnegut and Ken Kesey were so fucking scared about. Those are legitimate criticisms. It can ludicrously over-diagnose people who are actually just a little strange or unlike you. It can turn the doctor's inability to empathise with a perfectly healthy difference of opinion into a false diagnosis (Liberalism is a mental illness, hur hur). But it's not enough to just say - it does this, make it stop. WHY does it do that?

The simple problem is that brain science is really, really hard. It's made even harder by the fact that they're, arguably, working from the wrong end. Basically, psychologists look at symptoms and try to find cures for the symptoms of broken cognition, while psychiatrists try to analyse the cause of broken cognition. Probably the psychiatric project has more promise, in my opinion, because you can actually quantify an MRI scan properly.

BUT! There have been some successes - talk therapy is a relatively goodish idea in lieu of any alternative, for instance. The problem with working with symptoms, though, is that symptoms are super-hard to classify systematically without being so broad that essentially everyone has them.

However, this is obviously a rational critique of psychology and reason isn't what these people are about.

#BanPsychology
  • It is completely arbitrary.

At worst, not always. Is it arbitrary to want to help people not to kill themselves?

• It seeks to benefit oppressors, especially cishet white men.

Arguably - this is half-assed Foucault. But, to Foucault, all language helps white men and there is nothing strange about psychological language in this respect.

• It promotes “normal” behavior which is defined by oppressors.

Again, not an illegitimate argument except if you try to apply it in all circumstances which you have.

• It marks people as “sick” when they aren’t necessarily sick.  Being gay used to be a “mental illness”

This is THE argument against psychology.

• It has a racist history.

So does higher education. So do railways. Are we going to get rid of all the railways?

• It colonizes the minds/bodies of people and gives that agency to their “doctors” (who are almost always white cishet men)

Better argument - it completely denies all agency. Every decision you make is just a symptom.

• It benefits the educated and privileged with a career choice that makes lots of money, feeding off more vulnerable oppressed people

This is silly.

• "Mental illnesses" are not illnesses, they are mutations and probably the next step in evolution.  People with so-called mental illnesses are almost always more talented and skilled than those without them.

Special snowflakes uber alles. This is straight supremicism.

• It places unnecessary emphasis on traits like empathy, intelligence and “relating to others”

!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:36:39 pm by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3558 on: May 08, 2014, 09:10:09 pm »
Incidentally, a lot of symptoms associated with ADHD are also asperger-LIKE symptoms.  Same with OCD and Tourrette's Syndrome.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3559 on: May 08, 2014, 11:20:57 pm »
#BanPsychology

I’ve mentioned my hatred of psychology a few times here, but I never fully went into detail.  Here are the reasons I am against psychology as a practice and a study:

• It marks people as “sick” when they aren’t necessarily sick.  Being gay used to be a “mental illness”
  • It colonizes the minds/bodies of people and gives that agency to their “doctors” (who are almost always white cishet men)
  • It benefits the educated and privileged with a career choice that makes lots of money, feeding off more vulnerable oppressed people
  • "Mental illnesses" are not illnesses, they are mutations and probably the next step in evolution.  People with so-called mental illnesses are almost always more talented and skilled than those without them.
  • It places unnecessary emphasis on traits like empathy, intelligence and “relating to others”
  • It’s total bullshit.

"Mental illness" is the next step in evolution? I don't think schizophrenia is a useful power to have in the X-Men.
The "AUTISMTICS R SPESHUL SNOWFLAEKS!" stereotype is ableist as fuck.

I bet those kind of people are the "self-diagnosed" people (as in, not actually autistic or mentally ill but think it's fuckin' fashionable)
BUT THEY'RE QUIRKY, THAT IS THE SAME THING AS AUTISM U ABLIEST LITERAL TRASH!

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #3560 on: May 08, 2014, 11:33:11 pm »
Psychology and psychiatry are relatively new sciences, so misdiagnoses are bound to happen, but that doesn't mean they should be dismissed. Without these sciences there would be no way to treat depression, and I, along with many others, would probably be dead by now.

Are autism spectrum disorders over-diagnosed? Certainly. But does it plain not exist? Absolutely not.

I mean, you can have a few symptoms of a disorder without actually having it.

tl;dr, the anti-psychology movement is bullshit.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:03:13 pm by solar. »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #3561 on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:04 am »
Psychology and psychiatry are relatively new sciences, so misdiagnoses are bound of happen, but that doesn't mean they should be dismissed. Without these sciences there would be no way to treat depression, and I, along with many others, would probably be dead by now.

It's also silly to suggest that autism isn't a disorder.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #3562 on: May 09, 2014, 03:33:35 am »

I got nothin'.
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3563 on: May 09, 2014, 04:53:34 am »

I got nothin'.

I desperately want to mark this person's papers. (Well, not really want to mark the papers themselves, just cross out every instance of "persyn".)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #3564 on: May 09, 2014, 07:49:26 am »
The etymology is complete shit of course. Lose five grades for stupidity.

-FDR

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3565 on: May 09, 2014, 09:36:13 am »
Good on her for putting the disclaimer at the beginning, now the professor knows she's a complete idiot.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3566 on: May 09, 2014, 02:18:09 pm »
Good on her for putting the disclaimer at the beginning, now the professor knows she's a complete idiot.

Its just sad you can't automatically flunk someone out of a class once you find that out...they have to actually fail assignments.  If nothing else, its just plain inefficient.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3567 on: May 09, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »

Its just sad you can't automatically flunk someone out of a class once you find that out...they have to actually fail assignments.  If nothing else, its just plain inefficient.

If I could automatically fail people who said one really, really stupid thing on stuff I've marked, my TA record would be littered with classes with very high failure rates.

(For instance, if I could do this, anyone who writes anything that appears to assume the conclusion would get an automatic 0 in the course.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #3568 on: May 09, 2014, 07:45:53 pm »
#BanPsychology

I’ve mentioned my hatred of psychology a few times here, but I never fully went into detail.  Here are the reasons I am against psychology as a practice and a study:

• It’s total bullshit.
My quick break down:
(click to show/hide)

Here is another post form super duper edgy tumblrina's blog:

The first way that men systematically bring women into the idea of male penetration and loss of agency is by introducing tampons.  Is it any coincidence that girls start using tampons AS SOON AS they become physically capable of procreating?  It is form of “grooming”.  The girl start out with “junior slim” (just. gross.) and eventually go up to “overnight” (yeah, we get the sexual connotations there, thanks…)

By the time girls have matured into the regular-sized tampons or super tampons (which are stil smaller than most penises) they are ready to be penetrated by an actual penis in the eyes of men.  There are just SO. MANY. THINGS. made to groom women for heterosexuality.  If PiV were natural/normal/healthy for women it wouldn’t take this much effort to warm them up to it!

Of course trans men are also encouraged to use tampons through their childhood but this is no different- society tries to undermine them and denies their masculinity, and in doing so, makes them “penetrated” repeatedly.  This is a way to “trick” them into enjoying the idea of PiV and the idea of being “less”, as a woman.

The "junior/slim" sizes are for very light blood flows (usually six grams or less) while the "ultra/overnight" is meant for heavy flows (15+ grams). They have nothing to do with penetration and even the largest of tampons are smaller than the average penis.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3569 on: May 09, 2014, 08:07:06 pm »
OMG, thank you jebus! I needed a good laugh!

So, let's answer idiot pomposity with an equally stupid/funny counterpoint...https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120623165917AAkj5GH

Slightly NSFW

(click to show/hide)

There's actually much more wisdom and compassion in the Yahoo drivel than that Tumblrina can ever manage.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.