Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549438 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #4080 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:03 pm »
I have some safe, good outlets for my odd impulses, and I can safely say Joff is definitely a sexual sadist. He looked like he was LOVING that whore vs. whore combat.

Definitely aromantic - he really could not care less for romance.

(click to show/hide)
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4081 on: July 07, 2014, 08:43:53 pm »

Literally all of Westeros is queer.

....oh my god.  They're right about the Tyrells though.  That whole fucking family is queer.  But everyone else?  Oh gods just...stop.

Ironbite-please.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4082 on: July 07, 2014, 08:47:39 pm »
Well to me, Joffrey watching Ros torture Daisy with that stag-head mace seemed more like a sports fan watching his favorite team repeatedly score on the opposition than a sadomasochistic voyeur getting turned on by the violence.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4083 on: July 07, 2014, 10:03:15 pm »
I have some safe, good outlets for my odd impulses, and I can safely say Joff is definitely a sexual sadist. He looked like he was LOVING that whore vs. whore combat.

He's definitely a sadist, though it's debatable whether it's sexual. He never seemed particular interested in sex or physically pleasuring himself, just causing pain to others. Calling that "asexual", however, feels a bit like calling otherwise straight dudes who rape other dudes in prison "bisexual".

Definitely aromantic - he really could not care less for romance.

Eh, he's a sadistic psychopath. A lack of romance is just the tip of the iceberg.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4084 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:02 am »
I've started to grow tired of the headcanon thing. It's already a bit iffy to try and declare an author's interpretation of their own work invalid because you don't want to believe it, but fans (surprise surprise, especially the ones on Tumblr) are starting to try and turn their headcanon into actual canon in their own view. They make their own interpretation, declare it official as far as they're concerned, and become upset when it's not true.

Take the Destiel fandom. Shipping Dean Winchester and Castiel is okay on its own, but a lot of Destiel shippers have been crying foul and claiming that the show is "queer baiting" for intentionally incorporating homoerotic subtext recently and not acting on it.

Guys, they're making fun of you. The writers are totally aware of the Destiel ship and how nutty its fanbase is, and are intentionally throwing in references to the ship to screw with the shippers. But the headcanon-loving fans don't get it because in their minds, Dean and Castiel are canonically in love and the writers are afraid to incorporate homosexual or bisexual protagonists.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4085 on: July 08, 2014, 01:06:59 am »
It's fine to have a personal interpretation of a show though.
You just have to accept that it will always be fairly silly.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #4086 on: July 08, 2014, 02:07:42 am »
I've started to grow tired of the headcanon thing. It's already a bit iffy to try and declare an author's interpretation of their own work invalid because you don't want to believe it, but fans (surprise surprise, especially the ones on Tumblr) are starting to try and turn their headcanon into actual canon in their own view. They make their own interpretation, declare it official as far as they're concerned, and become upset when it's not true.

Take the Destiel fandom. Shipping Dean Winchester and Castiel is okay on its own, but a lot of Destiel shippers have been crying foul and claiming that the show is "queer baiting" for intentionally incorporating homoerotic subtext recently and not acting on it.

Guys, they're making fun of you. The writers are totally aware of the Destiel ship and how nutty its fanbase is, and are intentionally throwing in references to the ship to screw with the shippers. But the headcanon-loving fans don't get it because in their minds, Dean and Castiel are canonically in love and the writers are afraid to incorporate homosexual or bisexual protagonists.

It gets even worse when you come across essays dedicated to saying "all of your headcanons are valid because fiction isn't real, so you can't argue against something because it goes against the rules, because there are no rules".  I've seen exactly this done in response to people trying to justify problematic elements in fiction using canon, so they're basically the opposite of the extreme: "Oh, you say Zelda can't be the hero ever because canon says she always has to be the damsel?  Well, canon doesn't matter at all, at any point, for anything, so fuck you, purist!"  And for those curious, yes, it was somebody claiming that Zelda canon dictates that Zelda can never be the hero that set off this anti-canon rant.

Yeah, I'm against people using canon to justify sexism or whatever, but I strongly disagree with "canon isn't real so it's impossible to go against it". 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:12:38 am by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4087 on: July 08, 2014, 02:25:56 am »
To be fair, the canon never even said THAT.  Somebody remembered Demise's dying curse wrong.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4088 on: July 08, 2014, 02:28:53 am »
They made fun of the shippers in Sherlock too. Yet people claimed it was a nod to them
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4089 on: July 08, 2014, 03:16:21 am »
What do words like biromantic or demiromantic mean?  If it's different from sexual attraction what's the difference from a biromantic relationship and a close friendship?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4090 on: July 08, 2014, 03:17:33 am »
What do words like biromantic or demiromantic mean?
It means you're the specialest little snowflake on Tumblr.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4091 on: July 08, 2014, 03:30:48 am »
I'm a way specialier snowflake then them.  I'm only attracted to an asexual's gay headmate's pansexual headmate's demisexual headmate.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4092 on: July 08, 2014, 03:58:33 am »
What do words like biromantic or demiromantic mean?  If it's different from sexual attraction what's the difference from a biromantic relationship and a close friendship?

Biromantic means you have a romantic attraction to people of either gender.

Demiromantic means that you can only be romantic towards people you know really well.  ... *shrug*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #4093 on: July 08, 2014, 06:26:44 am »
Demiromantic means that you can only be romantic towards people you know really well.  ... *shrug*
So... like anyone ever?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4094 on: July 08, 2014, 06:30:38 am »
So... like anyone ever?

Hence the shrug.