Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551387 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #5370 on: January 21, 2015, 08:37:39 am »
Clickbait? On Buzzfeed!? Surely, you jest!

Though as I recall, Hermione was by far the most competent of the trio. Ron was a bumbling idiot, and Harry was a much luckier and slightly more competent bumbling idiot. More often than not, Hermoine was the only one who actually had her shit together.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5371 on: January 21, 2015, 08:39:19 am »
If Hermione were the Girl Who Lived, then...she wouldn't HAVE parents, and she'd likely be at least a half-blood instead of a Muggle-born.  Yes, Hermione has always struck me as a feminist character since she pursues the unladylike sport of being god damned intelligent, was raised in 80s-90s Britain (which may not be a feminist haven, but its a hell of a lot better than other options), and was basically forced into a world that seems to be stuck in at least the 19th century.  That image gallery (each picture only has about two sentences to 'em), however, is nothing more than moronic, click-bait bullshit.

Buzzfeed as usual, then?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5372 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:49 am »
If Hermione were the Girl Who Lived, then...she wouldn't HAVE parents, and she'd likely be at least a half-blood instead of a Muggle-born.  Yes, Hermione has always struck me as a feminist character since she pursues the unladylike sport of being god damned intelligent, was raised in 80s-90s Britain (which may not be a feminist haven, but its a hell of a lot better than other options), and was basically forced into a world that seems to be stuck in at least the 19th century.  That image gallery (each picture only has about two sentences to 'em), however, is nothing more than moronic, click-bait bullshit.
If you read the thing (and survive the brain damage from it) you will notice that the writer did not imply that she was "The girl who lived" in this version Harry is just a stupid boy and needs Hermione to save the day from Patriarchy.

She also sets "bitches" on fire in her struggle against structural misogyny and apparently kills Draco. (Also Draco is making sexist comments at her and apparently flirting with her at the age of 11.)

That whole text is just a trainwreck but the commmenters considered it the best thing ever.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5373 on: January 21, 2015, 10:43:43 am »
Though as I recall, Hermione was by far the most competent of the trio. Ron was a bumbling idiot, and Harry was a much luckier and slightly more competent bumbling idiot. More often than not, Hermoine was the only one who actually had her shit together.

This is why I like Hermione.  Ron had, like...three moments in the entire series where he was anywhere NEAR useful: the chess puzzle in Philosopher's Stone, saving Harry's dumb ass when he jumped into a fucking frozen lake to get a sword, and formulating the plan to get a basilisk fang from the Chamber of Secrets in Deathly Hallows.  Other than that, he's been completely, utterly fucking useless.  Hell, I think Rowling had the right idea when she wanted to kill off Ron...maybe give Neville a chance to be awesome then we could have BOTH boys of the prophecy working together to wreck Voldemort's shit.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5374 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:39 am »
Ron was also a racist for a good portion of the series.

Ironbite-what?  It's true.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5375 on: January 21, 2015, 11:43:12 am »
And Hermione is a Mary Sue.

...If we agree that there are a few definitions and degrees of Mary Sue. She was written as a self insert and Rowling said herself that things like the awkwardness and acting like a miss know-it-all were things from her youth and she did them due to her family moving and being placed in a strange school where she had no friends. She also was not liked first due to her behaviour though she wanted to fit in. So, Hermione is a self insert certainly.

She does not have all the qualities of a Mary Sue (like being 100% perfect snowflake that everyone loves and adores, kinda like whatshername in Twilight.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5376 on: January 21, 2015, 11:58:17 am »
You mean Bella "I hate all my mortal friends" Swann?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5377 on: January 21, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »
No he means Bella "I shouldn't have any blood after meeting Edward" Swann.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5378 on: January 21, 2015, 12:10:37 pm »
Bella "KISS ME CONTROLLING PAEDOWOLF" Swann?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5379 on: January 21, 2015, 01:36:26 pm »
That thing's pretty hilarious in its own idiotic way.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5380 on: January 21, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »

...If we agree that there are a few definitions and degrees of Mary Sue. She was written as a self insert and Rowling said herself that things like the awkwardness and acting like a miss know-it-all were things from her youth and she did them due to her family moving and being placed in a strange school where she had no friends. She also was not liked first due to her behaviour though she wanted to fit in. So, Hermione is a self insert certainly.

She does not have all the qualities of a Mary Sue (like being 100% perfect snowflake that everyone loves and adores, kinda like whatshername in Twilight.)

Yeah, self-insertion does not a Mary Sue make.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5381 on: January 21, 2015, 03:18:32 pm »

Yeah, self-insertion does not a Mary Sue make.
Like I said, depends on whose definition you go by. Plenty of people complain that any "self insert" is a Mary Sue.

Or that any "snowflake" character in a rpg is a Mary Sue.

Or that any character that they do not like is a Mary Sue.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5382 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:06 pm »

This could also probably qualify as Fandumb.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5383 on: January 21, 2015, 04:43:53 pm »
These headcanons continue to utterly annoy me.

Why do I get the feeling this person is yet another fangirl who thinks "I can cure that psychopath with MAI LURV!"

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5384 on: January 21, 2015, 05:28:11 pm »
So, uh, would an aromantic bisexual sociopath see everyone around them as a potential fuck buddy?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.