Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549106 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6300 on: May 31, 2015, 11:17:39 am »

And yes, it's legit:

https://archive.is/l5aby

Yeah, this is actually true. And this shouldn't be in the thread, as she is merely stating a fact (that some studies state X) instead of arguing for that end (racial segregation is good).

Now, if you really want to get mad, read Justice Thomas' dissent in Parents Involved v. First Seattle School District, 551 U.S. 701. There he actually argues that point.

Yeah, why don't you ask Linda Brown how wonderful racially segregated schools are?  Or better yet, ask a student at an inner-city school. 

In all seriousness, though, I’d be interested to know if these studies took into account how many of those gender/ethnically segregated schools are well-funded private institutions.  That might have something to do with it.  Besides, isn’t the whole point of going to school with people who are the opposite gender and a different race from you to, you know, LEARN how to get along with people who aren’t the same as you?

And why shouldn't Anita be held to the same standards as everyone else?  If, say, Ann Coulter said this, you'd be calling for her head.  Besides, Anita doesn't bother to cite the studies she mentioned.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6301 on: May 31, 2015, 11:33:23 am »
In all seriousness, though, I’d be interested to know if these studies took into account how many of those gender/ethnically segregated schools are well-funded private institutions.  That might have something to do with it.
I would be surprised if professional researchers have ignored such a basic thing.

Besides, isn’t the whole point of going to school with people who are the opposite gender and a different race from you to, you know, LEARN how to get along with people who aren’t the same as you?

The discussion isn't about socialization, it's about grades. The point you are making is precisely why I disagree with the idea of segregation even if it would raise average grades. The long-term negative influences on the social skills and attitudes about other groups would be much worse.

And why shouldn't Anita be held to the same standards as everyone else?  If, say, Ann Coulter said this, you'd be calling for her head.  Besides, Anita doesn't bother to cite the studies she mentioned.
Anita hasn't got the history of racist comments Coulter has. Taking a person's history into account when analyzing what they mean with a short comment is just basic communication skills. Twitter isn't a place where you make full arguments, 140 letters limit the user to simplistic statements.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6302 on: May 31, 2015, 11:44:54 am »
In all seriousness, though, I’d be interested to know if these studies took into account how many of those gender/ethnically segregated schools are well-funded private institutions.  That might have something to do with it.
I would be surprised if professional researchers have ignored such a basic thing.

"Professional" doesn't mean "infallible".  And this wouldn't be the first time a professional made such an idiotic mistake.  George Custer was a professional.  So was Edward Smith.

Besides, isn’t the whole point of going to school with people who are the opposite gender and a different race from you to, you know, LEARN how to get along with people who aren’t the same as you?

The discussion isn't about socialization, it's about grades. The point you are making is precisely why I disagree with the idea of segregation even if it would raise average grades. The long-term negative influences on the social skills and attitudes about other groups would be much worse.

And I agree.

Anita hasn't got the history of racist comments Coulter has.

Yeah, about that:

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6303 on: May 31, 2015, 12:11:45 pm »

"Professional" doesn't mean "infallible".  And this wouldn't be the first time a professional made such an idiotic mistake.  George Custer was a professional.  So was Edward Smith.
Peer. Review.

Yeah, about that:

The statement about bombing is stupid. That said, this isn't racist. She is criticizing Japanese culture for having strongly patriarchal values. This is different from saying the culture as a whole is or Japanese people are inferior.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6304 on: May 31, 2015, 12:16:52 pm »

Peer. Review.

Again, she didn't link to these studies, so I don't know if they're peer-reviewed.

Yeah, about that:

The statement about bombing is stupid. That said, this isn't racist. She is criticizing Japanese culture for having strongly patriarchal values. This is different from saying the culture as a whole is or Japanese people are inferior.

It's certainly eyebrow-raising, though.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6305 on: May 31, 2015, 12:27:15 pm »
Again, she didn't link to these studies, so I don't know if they're peer-reviewed.

Twitter. 140 letters. A place for superficial discussion; if you want full argumentation, read blogs instead of twitter.

How should a feminist criticize Japanese culture's patriarchy, then? Remember that the quote is an impromptu answer given as a response to an audience question.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6306 on: May 31, 2015, 12:39:53 pm »

Twitter. 140 letters. A place for superficial discussion; if you want full argumentation, read blogs instead of twitter.

"Adios Barbie" was able to post a link. 

How should a feminist criticize Japanese culture's patriarchy, then? Remember that the quote is an impromptu answer given as a response to an audience question.

She could start by actually learning about Japanese culture.  You know, instead of saying that feminism hasn’t caught on in Glorious Nippon because of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6307 on: May 31, 2015, 12:59:37 pm »

"Adios Barbie" was able to post a link. 

She asked a question and gave the context. Sarkeesian answered in the casual way that's appropriate for a Twitter conversation. It's not impossible to give sources in Twitter but it's a platform for casual chat. If someone asks a specifying or suspicious question then it becomes more pertinent to present precise sources.

She could start by actually learning about Japanese culture.  You know, instead of saying that feminism hasn’t caught on in Glorious Nippon because of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

She isn't presenting herself as an expert of Japanese culture. Someone asked her a question about an issue she isn't an expert on and she gave an impromptu, flawed answer. There is no evidence about racism here.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #6308 on: May 31, 2015, 01:04:34 pm »

And yes, it's legit:

Yeah, this is actually true. And this shouldn't be in the thread, as she is merely stating a fact (that some studies state X) instead of arguing for that end (racial segregation is good).

Now, if you really want to get mad, read Justice Thomas' dissent in Parents Involved v. First Seattle School District, 551 U.S. 701. There he actually argues that point.

Yeah, why don't you ask Linda Brown how wonderful racially segregated schools are?  Or better yet, ask a student at an inner-city school. 

Mother of fuck, do you miss the points sometimes. The studies are done with all things being equal. Do you think schools were equally funded during segregation? The answer is no, white schools got 3:1 to 10:1 what black schools got. Do you think inner-city schools are funded the same? Of course not.

And even then, I specifically said that this is a statement of fact: some studies do indicate that all-black schools provide a better environment for black students and that all-female schools provide women with better education. Further, I specifically said "instead of arguing for that end (racial segregation is good)." But that is what this is, it is a giant straw-man because instead of arguing with the results of the tests, you're strawmanning it with segregation. Instead of noticing that all-black or all-female educational institutions can provide better education to some students through minimizing social privileges that can adversely affect education (which spits in the face of your kumbaya beliefs), you opt to argue against segregation, which nobody is even defending.

In all seriousness, though, I’d be interested to know if these studies took into account how many of those gender/ethnically segregated schools are well-funded private institutions.  That might have something to do with it.  Besides, isn’t the whole point of going to school with people who are the opposite gender and a different race from you to, you know, LEARN how to get along with people who aren’t the same as you?

This is just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure women and black people are around enough white-guys in the course of their day to day lives to learn about white-men in this country. The belief, at least to my understanding, is that all-female schools allow women to speak up and participate in leadership roles in a manner that co-ed schools often do not and that all-black school's provide education devoid of white-bias that primarily white schools cannot.

Because again this is a fucking strawman that you're presenting so that you can justify Anita-hate, because of that thing that shall not be mentioned. Anita isn't arguing for segregation, she is merely saying what studies show. In essence, just because you acknowledge benefits of all-black or all-female schools does not mean that you support segregation. To quote John Stewart in a clip about Glenn Beck, "because if you adhere to an aspect of an ideology, then you clearly believe in that ideology when taken to an absurd extreme." That is what you're doing, taking the notion that all-black or all-female schools have benefits, and conflating that with segregation--which is just bad form.

Peer. Review.

Ask, and ye shall receive.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:06:54 pm by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6309 on: May 31, 2015, 01:27:45 pm »

And yes, it's legit:

Mother of fuck, do you miss the points sometimes. The studies are done with all things being equal. Do you think schools were equally funded during segregation? The answer is no, white schools got 3:1 to 10:1 what black schools got. Do you think inner-city schools are funded the same? Of course not.

And even then, I specifically said that this is a statement of fact: some studies do indicate that all-black schools provide a better environment for black students and that all-female schools provide women with better education. Further, I specifically said "instead of arguing for that end (racial segregation is good)." But that is what this is, it is a giant straw-man because instead of arguing with the results of the tests, you're strawmanning it with segregation. Instead of noticing that all-black or all-female educational institutions can provide better education to some students through minimizing social privileges that can adversely affect education (which spits in the face of your kumbaya beliefs), you opt to argue against segregation, which nobody is even defending.

You want me to argue about the tests?  Fine:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/single-sex-schools-negative-kids-study/story?id=14581023

This is just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure women and black people are around enough white-guys in the course of their day to day lives to learn about white-men in this country. The belief, at least to my understanding, is that all-female schools allow women to speak up and participate in leadership roles in a manner that co-ed schools often do not and that all-black school's provide education devoid of white-bias that primarily white schools cannot.

With all due respect, you might have a point about women.  But there are still a lot of neighborhoods that are mostly one race.  There are a lot of African-Americans who live in mostly black neighborhoods, a lot of whites who live in mostly white neighborhoods, a lot of Asian-Americans who mostly live in Asian neighborhoods, etc.  There are a lot of white kids who grow up without Latino neighbors, a lot of black kids who grow up without Asian neighbors, etc.

And what do you mean "education devoid of white bias"?  Don't tell me you actually believe that nonsense about African-Americans being confused by tests that say "behind the sofa" instead of "in back of the couch". 

Because again this is a fucking strawman that you're presenting so that you can justify Anita-hate, because of that thing that shall not be mentioned. Anita isn't arguing for segregation, she is merely saying what studies show. In essence, just because you acknowledge benefits of all-black or all-female schools does not mean that you support segregation. To quote John Stewart in a clip about Glenn Beck, "because if you adhere to an aspect of an ideology, then you clearly believe in that ideology when taken to an absurd extreme." That is what you're doing, taking the notion that all-black or all-female schools have benefits, and conflating that with segregation--which is just bad form.

Alrighty then.  Pretend Anita's a conservative.  Would you still be defending her?  Be honest with yourself.

Peer. Review.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Do you have any other sources?  That study's over fifteen years old, and only talks about African-Americans.  Furthermore, it says nothing about women.

Besides, that's about historically black colleges.  Not everybody goes to college.  I'm talking about pre-college education.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6310 on: May 31, 2015, 01:30:08 pm »
I'm pretty sure women and black people are around enough white-guys in the course of their day to day lives to learn about white-men in this country. The belief, at least to my understanding, is that all-female schools allow women to speak up and participate in leadership roles in a manner that co-ed schools often do not and that all-black school's provide education devoid of white-bias that primarily white schools cannot.
This is something I don't fully agree with. The regular, daily contact with individual members of other groups and the friendships children have in a non-segregated school has is different from more superficial contacts they have outside it. Another important contribution of non-segregated schools is that it puts the majority group in contact with the minority groups and influences how the members of the majority learn to interact with them.

Edit:

I'm going to stay away from the debate on this issue after this for now. No energy at the moment to start hunting for sources and analyzing them. The reason I didn't bother looking for them was that I felt the real issue UP had was with Sarkeesian and her actions, not the argument itself. This doesn't mean that I won't follow this discussion with interest.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:36:25 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6311 on: May 31, 2015, 02:32:22 pm »
Ultimate Paragon, I just want to chime in and say that as someone who can't stand Anita Sarkeesian, you're really raising a mountain out of literally nothing here. She didn't say anything objectionable, and this doesn't belong in worst of social justice or worst of anything, for that matter. You're just trying desperately to try to find (non-Gamergate related, because that topic is banned) things she says that will make the forum not like her, and it's really showing in how hard you're trying.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #6312 on: May 31, 2015, 02:39:21 pm »

And yes, it's legit:

You want me to argue about the tests?  Fine:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/single-sex-schools-negative-kids-study/story?id=14581023

Do you have any other sources?  That study's over fifteen years old, and only talks about African-Americans.  Furthermore, it says nothing about women.

Besides, that's about historically black colleges.  Not everybody goes to college.  I'm talking about pre-college education.

Goal post shift. You initially attacked Anita for saying that some studies show that all-black schools have benefits, likening it to a call for segregation. I presented a study that shows the exact thing stated. I've meet my burden of proof on the issue of whether studies supporting the benefits of all-black schools exist, and I do not plan to get into a debate as to which side is right. As for women, I can't be fucked to read through more peer reviewed studies on my day off, but a simple google search showed me this.

Second, when you say "Not everybody goes to college.  I'm talking about pre-college education." It is just another goal-post shift. Nothing Anita says limits it to college or pre-college education. You only add that disclaimer after I presented a study about the benefits of historically black universities.

With all due respect, you might have a point about women.  But there are still a lot of neighborhoods that are mostly one race.  There are a lot of African-Americans who live in mostly black neighborhoods, a lot of whites who live in mostly white neighborhoods, a lot of Asian-Americans who mostly live in Asian neighborhoods, etc.  There are a lot of white kids who grow up without Latino neighbors, a lot of black kids who grow up without Asian neighbors, etc.

And what do you mean "education devoid of white bias"?  Don't tell me you actually believe that nonsense about African-Americans being confused by tests that say "behind the sofa" instead of "in back of the couch".

First off, that is a mischaracterization of an actual problem with educational testing, which is again tangential to the issue we're debating.

The real point of the sentence is how racial bias can be internalized. For example, teachers and professors are more likely to call on and give additional help to white, male students. Often, at primarily white universities, white students look down their noses at black students as "affirmative action acceptances" (read some of Clarence Thomas' experience). Black students may internalize these things, and countless others I don't feel like looking up or arguing, and do worse than their peers academically. In contrast, a lot of these social privileges are erased at all-black or all-female schools. Not all, but a lot nonetheless.

Second, as the simmons link I posted highlights, these schools provide a good opportunity for students to see other students and faculty that is like them. So often in media, women and black people are portray as the girlfriend or the "sidekick," in contrast to being the leader or the hero. At these schools, black and female students can see leadership roles satisfied by other black and female students--they are placed in an environment in which they are surrounded by other young and ambitious students, which can help reduce the effects of internalized bias.

Alrighty then.  Pretend Anita's a conservative.  Would you still be defending her?  Be honest with yourself.

You just ignored everything I said to shift this into an argument about partisan politics...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:42:10 pm by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6313 on: May 31, 2015, 04:48:39 pm »
Might be beneficial for all to give this it's own thread.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6314 on: May 31, 2015, 05:01:06 pm »
I'm betting Anita could tweet about how the sky is blue and it's a wonderful days and her detractors would find something wrong with such a statement.

Ironbite-how is it that one woman has threatened such a vast amount of people simply by stating a viewpoint?