Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551106 times)

Even Then

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6840 on: September 02, 2015, 08:17:45 am »
Honestly, most of these don't qualify as "Worst of Social Justice". And anyway, the nature of triggers as things that trigger a mental problem means that practically anything does have the potential to be a trigger.

But "non-vanilla shaming" in the same category as racism, sexism and ableism? Granted, kinksters are looked at askance quite often, but fuck you for comparing people looking at you weird for bringing up your BDSM fantasies to being systemically dehumanized and shat upon by the privileged class. And I'm pretty sure "sex positive shaming" is less actual shaming and more pointing out legit issues with the sex positivity movement.

Also, that post just makes me think that OP is one of those people who believe that "cisphobia" and "heterophobia" are actual issues that people actually need to be concerned about.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:23:06 am by Even Then »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6841 on: September 02, 2015, 11:59:25 am »
And now The Mary Sue is claiming Samus Aran is trans.

https://archive.is/1hIKH

Mini rant incoming.

I have to say that in general I have no problem with people interpreting a piece of fiction differently than me, it can often lead to a good discussion and you can wind up learning a lot more about the work of fiction and the people you're talking to in the process. 

But as soon as I saw "deal with it" in the title, I knew where this shit was going.  They aimed to say something controversial (dare I say, incendiary) to get people wound up so they could accuse them of transphobia.  It's become a pattern.

And it's really, really pathetic.  Fiction is INHERENTLY DESIGNED to be supplemented by the reader/consumer's imagination - which inevitably means there will be multiple interpretations of different scenes, characters, environments etc.  To act like some sort of authority and state that your interpretation is canon law is simply disrespectful and you should expect people to get upset.

Radflakes need to stop hiding behind accusations of hatred and charged words like "racism" (or in this case, "transphobia") in order to bully/stigmatize people for daring to disagree with them.  Even if you could force someone into feeling bad for believing something or disagreeing with you in some sort of psychological blackmail - is it worth it just to make that person mimic what you are saying?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6842 on: September 02, 2015, 12:35:48 pm »
I just ignore difficult people like that. It's the only response they merit.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6843 on: September 02, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »

Yes, how dare people have community norms. The bastards.
Σא

Online ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6844 on: September 02, 2015, 04:38:09 pm »
Triggers are so overused on tumblr they've lost all meaning in the real world.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6845 on: September 02, 2015, 06:42:42 pm »
That's... not how meaning works. If there are parts of Tumblr that use the concept of trigger warnings wrongly, that doesn't somehow pollute every utterance of the phrase "trigger warning" into being useless and worthy of derision.

Used correctly, trigger warnings harm nobody and can be a lot of help to some.  By all means, object to incorrect use, but pointing at a list and saying "ha ha, they think trigger warnings are a thing" is not doing that. It's just mocking a useful tool.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6846 on: September 02, 2015, 07:53:40 pm »

...I got nothing.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6847 on: September 02, 2015, 10:08:19 pm »
Put her and a Polish Neo-Nazi in a room.

It'll result in either a death battle or the hottest hate sex ever.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6848 on: September 02, 2015, 10:28:03 pm »
Didn't you know? Europe used to be a paradise, in which herds of wild People of Colour with all kinds of non-binary genders and sexualities roamed free and lived in peace and harmony with one another. That is until the evil white people arrived in the 1930's, systematically erased the poor, helpless, neuro-atypical People of Colour and replaced their once free and happy society with the racist and generally highly problematic dystopia we see today.

It's all 100% true, I read about it from a 14 year old white American on Tumblr.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6849 on: September 03, 2015, 02:20:24 am »
^ I cannot believe you resisted the urge to say; "And then everything changed when the white people attacked."

Then again, that Avatar meme is getting pretty old.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Even Then

« Reply #6850 on: September 03, 2015, 02:36:43 am »
I mean, it's not like Poland had notable Jewish (the ethnic group, not the religion) and Roma communities that were affected by the Holocaust because of racism. Nope. Just white people, all day errday.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #6851 on: September 03, 2015, 03:11:44 am »
That is true, but they were both still minorities, and Poland has always been one of the pale countries.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6852 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:43 am »
^ I cannot believe you resisted the urge to say; "And then everything changed when the white people attacked."

Then again, that Avatar meme is getting pretty old.
I'm not an Avatar fan, so it was rather easy. In fact, it never even crossed my mind until you mentioned it.

Even Then

« Reply #6853 on: September 03, 2015, 04:17:54 am »
That is true, but they were both still minorities, and Poland has always been one of the pale countries.

Fair. Poland's definitely whiter than, say, the USA. Still, claiming that a game's about historical Poland when it's 1) nigh-completely homogenic, 2) not even set in Poland and 3) has fucking sirens and mummies in it is a poor argument.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #6854 on: September 03, 2015, 04:43:18 am »

Fair. Poland's definitely whiter than, say, the USA. Still, claiming that a game's about historical Poland when it's 1) nigh-completely homogenic, 2) not even set in Poland and 3) has fucking sirens and mummies in it is a poor argument.

Wait, there are mummies!? Where do I fight one of those!? <missing the point>

In all seriousness, though, the game is based of a Polish novel series, and was developed in Poland. It's gonna be rather Polish in appearance. Also the primary area it takes place in is called The Northern Realms, so a pale appearance is expected In the populace. An area like, say, Zerrikania, the games Arabia equivalent, might be darker.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:54:30 pm by lord gibbon »
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!