Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549816 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7620 on: November 13, 2015, 05:09:51 pm »
This is how many sociologists define the term racism, yes... in their papers, explicitly said such. Usually the text is something like "for the purposes of this paper, the term 'racism' will be defined as x y and z", which is all well and good as long as you're talking about that paper. But here in the world outside of that paper, we use the dictionary definition, thank you.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7621 on: November 13, 2015, 06:55:39 pm »
The problem I sort of have with "racism=power+prejudice" is that it seems to view racism as "whites vs everyone else".  This ignores racial relations and problems between different poc.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7622 on: November 13, 2015, 08:24:33 pm »
The problem I sort of have with "racism=power+prejudice" is that it seems to view racism as "whites vs everyone else".  This ignores racial relations and problems between different poc.

And that white-majority societies are not the only ones in the world, and that "power" is a complex concept that doesn't strictly reduce to structural power, and probably other stuff as well.

I mean, I totally get why it's a thing. I know why people cringe preemptively every time "reverse racism" comes up, and I cringe with them. But the definition is, let's say... problematic.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7623 on: November 13, 2015, 09:46:39 pm »
I was eating people before it was cool.  Hell, I was eating people before there were people!
So what you're saying is that you swallow?

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #7624 on: November 15, 2015, 02:03:08 am »

I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #7625 on: November 15, 2015, 02:09:20 am »
What is Mizzou, exactly?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7626 on: November 15, 2015, 02:13:20 am »
The University of Missouri... where I cannot remember a terrorist attack happening.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7627 on: November 15, 2015, 02:35:36 am »
Regarding the Mizzou hashtag: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/13/heres-how-the-university-of-missouri-confrontation-got-so-extreme/

Oh the horror... Someone called black person "N-word" a swastika had been made from feces and people had to resign to appease the protesters.

People on the net are already claiming that Paris attacks getting to the front page in newspapers is racist because it is meant to drown out the grievances of the black people who suffer from discrimination in USA.

...For the record, I'm not saying that the minorities in Missouri don't have real problems. It's just that this is not a contest and media making a terrorist attack that kills over a hundred people into a bigger news story than a week long hunger strike that forced someone to resign is not a sign of conspiracy to keep "POCs" out of news. (I would say that the media being so quiet about the other targets for these terrorist attacks is a sign of media preferring to talk about white/european victims and ignoring the violence in the middle east. Which is a shame because the attacks are clearly linked.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7628 on: November 15, 2015, 09:15:59 am »
Worse then that actually.  There were arrests made of people who made credible death threats.  So yeah the protests there have been overshadowed by Paris but that's how it goes in the news media.

Ironbite-nothing racist about it.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7629 on: November 15, 2015, 09:50:08 am »
Also, unless I'm confusing this with another incident, one of the protesters is from a rich family so some people are using it as proof that this protest is over nothing. Apparently the logic is: "If you are rich you can't suffer from discrimination and if you aren't a victim then you are not allowed to protest against inequality and any protest you are part of is obviously fake."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7630 on: November 15, 2015, 10:11:30 am »
The plot thickens:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/12/payton-head-mizzou-student-body-president-apologiz/

Turns out the Mizzou student body president was spreading false rumors about a KKK threat.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7631 on: November 15, 2015, 10:31:35 am »
Also, unless I'm confusing this with another incident, one of the protesters is from a rich family so some people are using it as proof that this protest is over nothing. Apparently the logic is: "If you are rich you can't suffer from discrimination and if you aren't a victim then you are not allowed to protest against inequality and any protest you are part of is obviously fake."

Reminds me of a Russell Brand quote.

Ironbite-sums it up don't it?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #7632 on: November 15, 2015, 11:50:28 am »
[sarcasm]Well, he's British. What does he know about economic injustice in America? [/sarcasm]
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7633 on: November 15, 2015, 12:07:54 pm »
[sarcasm]Well, he's British. What does he know about economic injustice in America? [/sarcasm]

Use blue text for sarcasm.

Even Then

« Reply #7634 on: November 15, 2015, 12:17:31 pm »
That's... not actually a rule, is it?