Author Topic: Defund Affordable Care Act Or We'll Shut Down Government  (Read 58473 times)

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Defund Affordable Care Act Or We'll Shut Down Government
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2013, 08:25:07 pm »
On the other hand, if it fails, because of its origins from conservative groups, it may discredit all their ideas.
I highly doubt that. Most people don't realize the origins of the ACA.

Didn't they try this once already?
Republicans have tried several times to repeal/defund ACA and haven't been successful. This is the first time they've used the debt ceiling as a bargaining chip.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 08:30:41 pm »
Their entire scam over the last thirty years has been "Government doesn't work!!!"   A government program that has a chance of actually working, of actually making things better for people who aren't rich and white, undercuts the entire message they sell to their base of knuckledragging bigots to keep them voting.

Yup.  That's why they fucked with the USPS so much over the last few years.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 11:12:28 pm »
Their entire scam over the last thirty years has been "Government doesn't work!!!"   A government program that has a chance of actually working, of actually making things better for people who aren't rich and white, undercuts the entire message they sell to their base of knuckledragging bigots to keep them voting.

Yup.  That's why they fucked with the USPS so much over the last few years.

OMG the rape of USPS via a 75 year pre-need pension funding claw back. Let's watch the GOP destroy what was once a profit making semi privatized postal system to rake back a few billion dollars...to waste on what? Pet home state pork barrel projects? The Never Ending War on Terrorism? W/E. Gad I hate them so.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 07:27:35 am »
Not even that.  It was all to prove that a public corporation can't run successfully.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 01:26:31 pm »
Snidely Whiplash is twirling his mustache ends with pride.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 02:17:53 pm »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/22/cruz-announces-plan-b-for-defunding-obamacare-shut-down-the-military/

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) on Sunday warned Senate Republicans that refusing to filibuster a bill that defunds President Barack Obama’s health care reform law “is a vote for Obamacare,” and he also advised House Republicans to “shut down the military” if they had to.

“If Harry Reid kills the bill in the Senate, the House should hold its ground, and should begin passing smaller continuing resolutions, one department at a time,” Cruz explained. “It should start with a continuing resolution focused on the military.”

“Send it over, see if Harry Reid is willing to shut down the military,” he quipped.

I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 03:09:54 pm »
Hee...hehehehehehehe....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ironbite-no please...try this.  I really want you to see how much backlash you get from this.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 04:07:08 pm »
O that is so tasty to contemplate! The Base; "Hurrr?!?! 'Murica layed off our hee-roes in yoon'form?!?! Gawd dammit frikkin' RINOs. Whars mah shotty? Is thar gas inna truck, hunny? Gotta go an' guard the fuckin' Mex'can border!"

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 06:19:15 pm »
It looks like some House Republicans are turning against Ted Cruz for saying the obvious...the Senate is not going to let any bill that defunds ObamaCare pass. The House GOP isn't happy with Cruz now.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2013/09/22/ted-cruz-voice-of-reason/

My favorite part is where someone claims that Ted Cruz is part of a secret cabal of leftists that are seeking control of the conservative movement.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 07:19:37 pm »
It looks like some House Republicans are turning against Ted Cruz for saying the obvious...the Senate is not going to let any bill that defunds ObamaCare pass. The House GOP isn't happy with Cruz now.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2013/09/22/ted-cruz-voice-of-reason/

My favorite part is where someone claims that Ted Cruz is part of a secret cabal of leftists that are seeking control of the conservative movement.

This is why "You're either with us or against us" mentality has no basis in reality.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 11:03:39 pm »
Neil MacDonald has an interesting article about the whole affair.

It's been asked before, but it's worth asking again: If Democrats and Republicans share the blame for Congress's stupendous incompetence, which is a widespread and rather facile presumption here, then what is the Democratic Party's equivalent of the Tea Party caucus?

Is there, for example, anywhere in Barack Obama's party a bloc whose anti-gay and pro-gun views are so extreme that one of its leading members compares enacting any restrictions on gun ownership to allowing gay marriage and bestiality? (Louie Gohmert, Republican, Texas)

Or, whose members would travel to Egypt shortly after its generals arrested a democratically elected president, and then killed at least 1,000 of his protesting supporters, to declare on television that "We're here as members of Congress to say 'We're with you. And we encourage you.'" (Michele Bachmann, Republican, Minnesota).

Or, who would proclaim that 99 per cent of illegal migrants in America spend their time hauling marijuana around, that immigrants should be chosen the way you choose a good dog, and that the border fence with Mexico should be electrified, because "we do that with livestock all the time." (Steve King, Republican, Iowa).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 12:53:31 am »
It's hilarious how the Rhinos are now trying to distance themselves from Ted Cruz. And because of this fallout with the shut down, Sarah Palin has decided that Fox News isn't conservative enough.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 02:33:48 am »
I LOVE reading about the big Tealiban implosion! Pure ambrosia!

Ah....Now THIS is how I interpret Revelation 18!

All that jazz about the Rapture is a bunch of hooey but I always felt that Revelation was an allegorical illustration of the rise & fall of corrupt regimes in general.

Bye bye, Babylon! Your days are numbered!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 04:04:59 am »
No. Members of Congress don't receive free healthcare. Their employer being the federal government part of their health insurance is tax payer funded. But like everyone else they make individual contributions to their health insurance.

But if ACA is defunded, do they lose theirs as well?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 11:11:10 am »
And now for a message brought to you by ....the Koch Brothers, from their usual one degree of separation.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cRsfW0Jv8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cRsfW0Jv8</a>

Unfortunately for one self-described "free-thinking" group, it's created nightmare-inducing commercials that aim to persuade young people to skip signing up for health-care coverage via Obamacare.

While the staff of the group, Generation Opportunity, mostly appears to be in their 20s, it's bankrolled by brothers David and Charles Koch, who are both in their 70s and known for their ultra-conservative views.

In one spot, a leering Uncle Sam pops up between the legs of a young woman seeking an gynecological exam, while in a second ad a young man is accosted by the same Uncle Sam figure, this time snapping on a latex glove to give him a rectal exam.

The tagline is "Don't let government play doctor." But the commercials are so bad that they may backfire, causing young viewers to shrug them off as the worst kind of fear-mongering.
http://money.msn.com/now/post--do-creepy-anti-obamacare-ads-defile-an-icon