Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 395788 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #3495 on: September 19, 2020, 04:13:42 pm »
McConnell's seat is also super safe. Regardless of what Twitter roses think, there is literally no one that the Democrats could put against him that has any significant chance of beating him. Republican voters don't vote for candidates or policy, they vote against Democrats. And Kentucky has Republican voters to spare.

McConnell is also not very popular in Kentucky, and just last year Andy Beshear toppled the unpopular incumbent Republican Governor of Kentucky, Matt Bevin. Admittedly by less than 0.4 percentage points, but he did win.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3496 on: September 19, 2020, 04:16:58 pm »
He's been unpopular for years. You'll forgive me if I don't have much expectation of him losing.
Who needs a signature?

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #3497 on: September 19, 2020, 04:56:32 pm »
McConnell won't let it get to that point. He's going to give Trump a win before the election.

EDIT: Here's how he'll do it:

1. Trump nominates someone.
2. McConnell moves that the nominee be considered by the full Senate without a recommendation from the Judiciary Committee.
3. The Democrats filibuster the motion.
4. McConnell moves to change the rules of the Senate to end the filibuster on motions to advance to a vote on a nominee without a positive recommendation from a committee.
5. This vote passes.
6. Trump gets a third Supreme Court Justice.

The webmaster of DailyKos posted a story today that I think correctly reads McConnell's motivations right now; the Republicans are staring at a complete wipeout electorally, and even having this seat available may not help them.  Since they're staring at a complete loss, McConnell wants to rush this through as fast as possible to avoid having to take risks during the lame duck, and then he's going to hope that the now conservative SC will stop the Dems from doing anything for the next couple of years, at which time the Repubs will pull out the 2010 playbook again...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3498 on: September 19, 2020, 05:55:59 pm »
He's been unpopular for years. You'll forgive me if I don't have much expectation of him losing.

I'm aware. I don't think there's that great a chance of the Democrats knocking McConnell off, but I also don't think it's impossible.

Of course, there's also the other option for the Democratic Party, which is to expand the courts (killing the legislative filibuster if necessary). Then put four or six more Justices on the Supreme Court, and also a good number on the circuit and district courts, given how many cases stop at those.

(What I'd actually advise them to do is change the filibuster rule to make it so that any vote must have the support of not only half of the Senate, but Senators representing half of the population of the states. The Democrats have had a majority in the Senate in the latter sense continually since at least 1985. Now granted such a rule change, even if only internal to the Senate, might be unconstitutional, since the US Constitution is explicit that each Senator has one vote. But it'd be worth exploring.)

EDIT: As for DailyKos' summary, sure, but, like I said, that could backfire if the Supreme Court makes a decision that sparks Dred Scott levels of outrage. That would enable the Democrats to run specifically on ignoring that decision, just as the Republicans did in 1860.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:08:54 pm by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #3499 on: October 02, 2020, 01:25:54 am »
Looks like Trump's probably got the plague. Best news I've heard since this whole nightmare started.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3500 on: October 02, 2020, 02:25:20 am »
If Trump dies of COVID, the US is probably going to explode into open warfare.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3501 on: October 02, 2020, 05:54:32 am »
Looks like Trump's probably got the plague. Best news I've heard since this whole nightmare started.

It's very poetic. I'm worried for Biden though. Biden was only a few feet away from that screaming monster a few days ago.

There's also rumors that this is a lie to get out of debating. Trump's lied so much it's hard to tell what the truth is anymore.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3502 on: October 02, 2020, 08:35:35 am »
You'll excuse me as I offer my thoughts and prayers at this time

Ironbite-*collapses into a singularity of giggling*

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3503 on: October 02, 2020, 09:12:54 am »
You'll excuse me as I offer my thoughts and prayers at this time

Ironbite-*collapses into a singularity of giggling*

Legit the first thing I did on learning the news.  Its just so...yup.  That's exactly the kind of laugh I needed, this is fucking gold.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3504 on: October 02, 2020, 11:13:12 am »
Apparently Trump has mild symptoms at the moment. I don't really know how the virus works. If it can start off mild and get increasingly worse as time goes on.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3505 on: October 02, 2020, 08:10:35 pm »
And then he got a huge ass fever and had to be rushed off to...

Walter Reed.

He's fucked.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3506 on: October 02, 2020, 08:19:31 pm »
And then so is the US, because Trump has primed his base to think that COVID is a hoax (or at least overblown), that it's a Democratic plot to defeat him, that he can't possibly lose unless the Democrats cheat...

In most democracies, since the system is flexible and can handle these sorts of things, the election would simply be delayed. (It happened in 2019 in PEI's provincial election.) In the rigid, inflexible US system?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #3507 on: October 02, 2020, 10:11:40 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Trump dies, the nomination falls to Pence. And Pence doesn't have Trump's appeal to white supremacists that helped him win in 2016. I don't want to argue that Biden would have an easier fight against him because dipshit swing voters would possibly see Pence as respectable, but the entire Republican platform this year is "trust dear leader," so he'd have less than a month to build an actual platform since their platform would literally be dead.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3508 on: October 03, 2020, 12:01:44 am »
If Trump dies, the Presidency falls to Pence, but the nomination goes to whomever the RNC's executive committee decides it does.

The thing is, can the states then be persuaded to reprint all the ballots?

And what about the millions of votes that have already been cast?

And, as I said, what about the Trump supporters who will see this as a Democratic hoax to deny Trump a second term? "They couldn't beat him and they knew it, so they killed him!"

EDIT: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/presidential-nominee-incapacitated-1.5747565
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:03:36 am by dpareja »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3509 on: October 03, 2020, 12:30:23 am »
Well, Repubs, this is what happens when you choose a candidate who thinks science and reason are Chinese hoaxes.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer