Author Topic: Stephen Colbert to take over Late Show with David Lettermen  (Read 1814 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Stephen Colbert to take over Late Show with David Lettermen
« on: April 10, 2014, 03:19:00 pm »
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=861719

Yes, it's a coveted position for television show hosts. It's also necessarily a much more tame style of comedy on Late Show, since it is a huge, general viewing audience compared to the Colbert Report's younger and/or more educated viewers. Color me grieving.

This means the Colbert Report will end next year. And with it, Colbert's maniacally funny conservative spokes unit persona, and unless CBS will let him do it, the end to all those priceless interviews conducted by talented comedian reporters, where bigots and sleazy pols, who have never seen the show before, make fools of themselves on camera. Colbert Nation, mourn. :'(
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Stephen Colbert to take over Late Show with David Lettermen
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:20:57 pm »
Hopefully there will be someone else to fill his shoes.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »
I've no doubt that he will soon after taking over end up on the Getting Crap Past the Radar TVTropes page.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:30:45 pm »
Hopefully there will be someone else to fill his shoes.
[looks around] Sigh, fine! [digs out black suit and red tie]
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 03:42:28 pm »
We live in a world where mocking someone's racism is more offensive than actuall racism.

I'm really mad and really depressed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:44:54 pm by I am lizard »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:53:37 pm »
Wait, what he needs to do is do the show except still play his character, he would have to downplay it and make It more a side feature though.

Also he hopefully won't dull himself down to much.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:41:50 pm »
We live in a world where mocking someone's racism is more offensive than actuall racism.

Is that your way of suggesting that #CancelColbert was the cause of him taking over from Letterman?

This means the Colbert Report will end next year. And with it, Colbert's maniacally funny conservative spokes unit persona, and unless CBS will let him do it, the end to all those priceless interviews conducted by talented comedian reporters, where bigots and sleazy pols, who have never seen the show before, make fools of themselves on camera. Colbert Nation, mourn. :'(

We still have The Daily Show.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:54:19 pm »
While many people responded to the news with pleasure and excitement, right-wing talk-radio king Rush Limbaugh was quick to offer his two cents, saying that Colbert’s hiring was a declaration of war on the American “heartland” by CBS.

And as a perusal of the right-wing Twitter community shows, Limbaugh was hardly the only conservative to greet Colbert’s promotion with anger and dismay. Indeed, the sentiment on the right in response to the news can be summarized like so: Stephen Colbert’s being chosen to succeed David Letterman shows that liberal media bias is real. And, also too, Colbert’s not funny, anyway.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/10/conservatives_on_twitter_are_very_unhappy_about_stephen_colberts_new_job/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:25:55 pm »
That's hilarious.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 10:00:40 pm »
I'm intrigued, honestly.  My only issue with the move is that I can no longer stay up to watch Colbert, then.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 10:01:14 pm »

Is that your way of suggesting that #CancelColbert was the cause of him taking over from Letterman?

We still have The Daily Show.
That was posted before I read the terms of the retirement.