Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 640005 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #2520 on: January 28, 2014, 04:21:12 pm »
I just realized that the next episode is Weird Al episode, hyped as fuck! Apart from a few clunkers, the episode quality in this season so far has been great!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2521 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:43 pm »
Best.  Episode.  Of the season.

Calling it now.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2522 on: January 28, 2014, 06:41:39 pm »
As much as it'll be cool to see Weird Al as a pony, I really don't want to help push the hype train too far.  Then again, I don't like to have too big of an impression of an episode before I see it, period.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #2523 on: January 30, 2014, 11:18:06 pm »
Great critique of Equestria Girls

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0GINI5IhFw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0GINI5IhFw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIzl0dXF3qI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIzl0dXF3qI</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-O0eI4n1yY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-O0eI4n1yY</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TKcLreIrco" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TKcLreIrco</a>
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2524 on: January 31, 2014, 04:16:26 am »
Couldn't really get through the whole video, the fake RedLetterMedia voice got kind of annoying.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2525 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:42 am »
So uh... for those that either don't want to wait for the episode to air or those that want to add to their collection early, the new ep is on Itunes and the Google Play store already.

Details here:  http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/01/pinkie-pride-listing-on-google-play.html
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

• The Beast
« Reply #2526 on: January 31, 2014, 04:45:14 pm »
Couldn't really get through the whole video, the fake RedLetterMedia voice got kind of annoying.

Yeah, between that and the apparent bitchfest that the "critique" is setting itself up to be, I'm really having a hard time getting into it or taking it seriously.  Seriously, I've heard enough "Let's take this way too seriously!" ranting and whining about this movie from the fandom already.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2527 on: January 31, 2014, 07:54:18 pm »
Same.

I have little patience for rants (I refuse to dignify it by calling it a "critique") of this nature in the first place.  5 minutes is generally the most I give it.  The fact that this rant has been separated across four videos means that I don't even have the patience to watch 5 seconds of it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2528 on: January 31, 2014, 08:47:26 pm »
There's only one analyst I like, and that's Mr. Enter. His analysis and defense of "Magical Mystery Cure" is one of my favorites of his. Silver Quill's pretty good too. But the "big ones" are pretty bitchy.

Mr. Enter sounds like someone I'd like.

Magical Mystery Cure is one of the most bashed episodes ever for no good reason.  It was a damn good episode... I think bronies were just embarrassed that a rumor they had dismissed turned out to be true.  And then proceeded to blame it on marketing.  And then started twisting Faust's words out of context to make it seem like she hated it, too.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #2529 on: February 01, 2014, 12:19:11 am »
Same.

I have little patience for rants (I refuse to dignify it by calling it a "critique") of this nature in the first place.  5 minutes is generally the most I give it.  The fact that this rant has been separated across four videos means that I don't even have the patience to watch 5 seconds of it.

Well, given that you haven't even seen it, you wouldn't know if it's just a rant. It brings up a lot of valid points, and EQG is full of flaws which is why the review is so long.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2530 on: February 01, 2014, 01:21:37 am »
It's four videos long.  That's long enough for me to know it's a rant.

If he can't be bothered to succinctly sum it up, I can't be bothered to watch it.  Simple as that.

• The Beast
« Reply #2531 on: February 01, 2014, 01:27:53 am »
Same.

Well, given that you haven't even seen it, you wouldn't know if it's just a rant. It brings up a lot of valid points, and EQG is full of flaws which is why the review is so long.

I saw the first video before I went to work today.  Yeah, the tone seems to remain pretty consistently condescending to not only the movie, but to the people watching.  It's snarky to the point that I can't tell if the tone is supposed to be genuine or not.

Hell, even the "compliment" to the premise is used to bitch about things like "Why don't we see very much of the human world?" and "Why doesn't Twilight make a remark about how different Equestria is than the alternate world on destiny?" and "Well why doesn't she stay with one of the mane 6?"  Personally, I think that while it could be interesting to see these ideas, I don't see how they detract from what the movie is.

Yeah, I'm aware that the review points out other perceived flaws.  I'd argue against them more, but I only watched the review once.  The thing is, other than complimenting the premise (which is just an excuse to bash the movie for being different than how the reviewer would write/imagine scenes), the "critique" doesn't really give the movie much credit for...anything.

Oh yeah, there was something along the lines of "Twilight concealed her true motive in the beginning, and that makes the reveal to the alternate friends invalid."  Oh yeah, because concealing truth has NEVER been used to drive or justify a story/conflict on MLP (or in TV/movies in general).

I dunno, I haven't seen the entire set of videos, but so far the tone (and arguments themselves) aren't really compelling me to watch the rest.  Shit, the only reason I think I might watch them (if I do) is out of curiosity.

Actually, if I recall the first video snidely says "But we still have dolls to sell." after bashing the idea that the movie gives itself a reason to have a story.  I have a hard time believing/accepting that it actually used that argument on a franchise that's merchandise driven.  It was one of the bigger things that made me wonder if this was supposed to be a parody of snobby fans or not.  If it was genuine, I think it's a good indication to the reviewer's likely attitude to the movie before it was even released.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:31:44 am by Captain Jack Harkness »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2532 on: February 01, 2014, 02:02:56 pm »
Well that was certainly a FUN episode XD

• The Beast
« Reply #2533 on: February 01, 2014, 02:25:27 pm »
You know, as much as I enjoyed the wackiness, I gotta say that the parts of the episode meant to tug at your heartstrings were my favorites.

Also, this is only the second episode ever to

(click to show/hide)

Oh, that reminds me.  Next week is a medley of shows for a "friendship marathon" thing they're doing.  I don't recall any mention of a new episode either, so...

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2534 on: February 01, 2014, 02:32:18 pm »
So, presumably, we have three keys down... we just need three more keys.  (Assuming the objects with rainbow sheens are keys)

I wonder what the reward for all of this is going to be.

I'm hoping it's not rainbow hair.  *side-eyes the Pinkie Pie toy with rainbow hair*