Author Topic: Nested Quotes  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Nested Quotes
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:30:53 am »
While there was a limit of two at Proboards to avoid lengthy nested quotes in threads, I don't see anything like that here. I think it'd be handy. Cleans up the mess and makes it so we don't have to go through and individually delete third, fourth, fifth, etc., quotes.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

Re: Nested Quotes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 08:00:41 am »
I like the unlimited nested quotes. It reminds me of the pre-proboards forum. It helps make this place truly feel like a return to the good old days.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:58:29 am »
Too many nests quickly get messy. Especially on image threads. And cleaning them up in the markup can be a pain. I think I prefer nesting of at most two levels back.

If you are having trouble remembering the context of a particular quote, perhaps it is best if you use the backlink and re-read the particular post(s).
-A Pen Name

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:39:25 am »
Quote from: Keiro
Test
Test2
Test3
Test4
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 05:03:29 pm »
Proboards only quoted up to two levels if you hit the 'Quote' button on a post, but you could add more if you so desired, which is useful sometimes when you need more context. Could we have an arrangement like that? That way you don't have to clean the markup and most quotes would only preserve the immediately relevant, but you still have an option to add more if necessary.
Σא

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »
You should be able to do as many as you want... I dunno what the limit is.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »
You should be able to do as many as you want... I dunno what the limit is.
Well, the issue is that people don’t like that it is automatically quoted so deeply. For instance, if every reply on this thread quoted the previous thread, this post would automatically produce a 5-post deep quote block. So far, Sleepy, Sigmaleph, and I seem to consider it a better convenience to not have to clean up that sort of nest than it is to have to manually create such a nest the few times we need it.

As I mentioned, I am especially concerned about automated gratuitous mega-nesting on the image threads.
-A Pen Name