Community > Entertainment and Television

Let's Play Ultima VII [WARNING: Pic-heavy]

<< < (9/9)

RavynousHunter:
18. Dave visits Cove

So, there's a, uhm, nice little item I know of in a little hole-in-the-wall called Cove.  It is almost as powerful as Arcadion-

: "BULL.  SHIT."

I said almost!  It is also plot-critical.  So, let's head on down, shall we?

Hehe.  That's gonna be funny in a second, when you learn Cove's overall, ehm, "theme."

Either which way, we head north from here to the house of a gent that goes by the name of Rudyom.  In the days of yore (that is, Ultima VI), he was quite a useful chap and relatively well-spoken.  Unfortunately, only the former is really true, mostly due to one of the other two generators that remains non-exploded that is driving all mages everywhere stark, raving mad.

: "Who art thou?" Rudyom asks. "Oh -- I remember."
: "Who are you?  You kinda look like Rudyom, but the years have really not been kind to you."
: "Smooth."
: "That I know. My name is Rudyom."
: "Christ.  What do you even do, nowadays?"
: "I am not sure any more. I was a powerful mage at one time! Now nothing works. Magic is afoul! I suppose I could sell thee some reagents and spells if thou dost want. And mind the carpet -- it does not work!"
: "You mean the magic carpet?  Dude, we got that ages ago."
: "The big blue carpet. 'Tis a flying carpet. It does not work like it should." Rudyom looks around and scratches his head.
: "The hell are you on about?  We've literally flown it across the planet."
: "Funny. It was here a while ago. Oh! I remember now. Some adventurers borrowed my flying carpet a few weeks ago. When they returned they said they had lost it near Serpent's Spine. Somewhere in the vicinity of the Lost River. I suppose if thou didst want to go and find it, thou couldst keep it. It did not work very well. Perhaps thou canst make it work. I did not like the color, anyway!"
: "What's screwy with magic that's made you this loopy and senile?"
: "I do not understand what is wrong. My magic does not work so well any more."
: "So, I'm noticing that notebook near your...uhh, desk?  Dinner table?  I dunno.  What gives?"
: "I used it to record mine experiments with blackrock and the blackrock transmuter."
: "Blackrock?  Do tell."
: "Do not mention that foul mineral's name to me! It hast caused me much frustration! Before my mind lost me I was conducting experiments with the infernal material. But now I cannot for the life of me remember what it was I was trying to do."
: "And this transmuter?"
: "'Tis that wand-like thing. It was supposed to magnetize and magically transmute blackrock, but it doth not work correctly. Try pointing it at a piece of blackrock and thou wilt see what I mean. But do not stand too close! Thou art welcome to take it if thou dost want a piece of garbage!"
: "Dupre..."
: "I'll get his arms if he goes crazy."
: "Glee!"
: "That's my line!"
: "Leaving so soon? Deary me. I hope I remember thee if thou dost come back."
: "Uh huh."

In his notebook, Rudyom lays out what he was trying to do.  Long story short, blackrock is the phlebotinum on which Ultima VII's plot runs.  Its what made the Black Sword, it underpins a lot of the story, and it...well...

: "Okay, guys.  Stand back!"
: "HIT THE DECK!"

: "..."
: "MOTHER OF GOD!"
: "Holy crap!"
: "THAT WAS AWESOME!"
: "Sweet Jesus!"
: "Duuuuuuuuuuuude!"

: "..."
: "You okay?"
: "I think he's crying..."
: "its so beautiful."
: "Correction: he's openly weeping."

Yes, Rudyom's Wand is a fucking detonator for Ultima's answer to C4 plastic explosives.  The blast hits like a tank shell and it doesn't chain-react with other bits of C4 blackrock in the blast radius.  What's more, each piece weighs less than a powder keg and there are certain points that one can exploit to obtain literally unlimited stable, high-yield explosives.

Richard Garriott, you spoil me.

: "I...I need some fresh air."

: "Oh what the absolute FUCK?  That's NASTY."
: "I may vomit."
: "Way ahead of ya, kid."

This is Lock Lake.  People have been discarding every bit of used tissue, fish guts, and used condom they can find into it and turning it into a disgusting shit-pool.  Seriously, this is some of the grossest shit I've seen in gaming and this is in 320x240 2D graphics from the early 90s.

: "Let's get the hell out of here before I heave."

Heading south, we find the shrine of Compassion.  Of the shrines in Ultima VII, it is easily the most well-preserved.  A lot of that has to do with the young lady here, Nastassia.

: She looks up as you introduce yourself.
: "And who might you be?"
: "I am Nastassia."
: "You the one in charge of this place?  Because it actually looks kinda nice.  Then again, compared to Feculence Lake, a dry dog turd would look nice, but still."
: She thinks a moment. "I suppose my job is to keep the Shrine of Compassion pristine, though it is not an official position."
: "It really ought to be, ya know.  Why would LB create them then just leave them to the elements?  Seems kinda shitty."
: "The Shrine of Compassion has been here for many generations, as have all the shrines in Britannia. My great-great-grandmother Ariana made a request in her will that her family line take care of this particular shrine."
: "Ariana?  Why does that name sound familiar?"
: "Yes, she was my great-great-grandmother. I understand that she actually met the Avatar and he made a profound impact on her life. It is odd, but thou dost resemble the portraits I have seen of the Avatar."
: "Oh.  Oh my god."
: "That's..."
: "Awkward in a way never before thought possible?"
: "Yeah, that's about right."
: "I...I, uh, kind of am the Avatar."
: Nastassia studies your features. "Somehow I knew it. It hath been said that thou wouldst return."
: "I really should pay respects, at some point.  I feel kinda bad.  But, I mean, why take care of the shrine?"
: "I... I'd rather not say. Please do not ask."
: "Hm."

And that's about all we can get out of Nastassia regarding her story until we talk to someone in town.  Which we will do because, hey, its a subplot and she's a nice enough person.

Back in town, we find the local watering hole.  Alas, the name isn't a double entendre like the inn, but it is actually useful for figuring out what's going down with Nastassia and some of the townsfolk.  The gent we want is the local bard, a fellow by the name of De Maria.

: "I have sung about thee in many a song! And here thou art in the flesh! I recognized thee immediately." The man bows. "Welcome, Avatar!"
: "Nice to get a little respect now and then.  What's your name, sport?"
: "I am De Maria, the Bard."
: "Oh, so kinda like Iolo, except you don't spend all day killing pirates with a crossbow."
: "If only I were so lucky to have such a consistent outlet."
: "I spin tales and sing songs! I also know a good deal about the folks in Cove."
: "A tale, huh?  Hell, I got time on my hands, let's hear it."
: "What if I combine all three? Shall I sing a song which is a tale about the people of Cove?"
: "Hell, why not?"
: "Grab a seat, this is gonna take a while."
: "I shall tell thee the story of the only unhappy person in Cove -- Nastassia. She is the only person in town without a lover. Not that she does not have suitors -- she is quite beautiful! All she thinks about is the Shrine of Compassion, which is where thou wouldst probably find her at this moment." De Maria strums his lute and sings: "There once was a maid Ariana  Who held the shrine so dear.  She asked that her offspring do likewise  And keep it so year after year."
: "I am getting more depressed by the second."
: "Her son Mikhail became mayor  With a goal to keep in fashion  The towne's old, belov'd reputation  As the city of love and passion! Mikhail's oldest child was Magda;  She built Lovers' Walk, a fine park,  Where Cove's lovers, both young and old,  Could court outdoors in the dark!"
: "I'm feeling kinda uncomfortable hearing this, what with Spark around."
: "Ssh, he's getting somewhere!"
: "Ah, but the clouds of misfortune do hide  Where the sun's brightness seemeth most fair.  And poor Nadia, Magda's daughter,  Of misfortune had more than her share! It began when Nadia did wed one day  To Julius, a not-so-wealthy young lad.  He left her with child and went far away.  As for Nadia's poor heart, 'twas sad."
: "Anyone want a drink?  I got extras."
: "YOU ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR."
: "One day from Yew the fateful news came  That Julius by a beast was killed;  The child came early, 'twas a difficult birth;  And Nadia's soul became chilled. With dagger in hand and child in arm  To the Shrine did Nadia run.  She plunged the dagger into her own breast;  Never again would she see the sun."
: "Save me a few...dozen pints."
: "Nastassia grew up an orphan, you see,  Unloved and unwanted by all;  Today she walks cloaked in solitude  Awaiting her destiny's call. And that is poor Nastassia's tale. Perhaps thou canst cheer her. Find her, I beseech thee!"
: "Jesus god damned Christ.  Do you fuckers have anything stronger than ale?  Like rubbing alcohol?"

After drinking themselves half to death, or wishing they could at any rate, the crew returns to Nastassia to ask her about her family life in more detail.  Yes, because that could in no possible way backfire horribly.

: "I, uh...heard about your parents."
: "...Oh."
: "Yeah."
: "Oh well, might as well grab a seat.  Thou dost know of my father? I suppose the townsfolk have been talking again. I wish I had known him. There is something within me that yearns for some news of him. Anything at all."
: "I'm...gonna go lie down.  'Scuse me."
: "My mother. She died horribly, and by her own hand. That is the true reason I pay homage to this Shrine. I hope someday to provide her with the means to rest in peace."
: "Jesus Christ."
: "Art thou perhaps travelling to Yew?"
: "After hearing all this?  Fuck, its the least I could do."
: "Bless thee! I shall be waiting here for thee." Unexpectedly, Nastassia pulls your head down to hers and kisses you on the mouth.

:
: "Hey, Spark, let's go check out that bench that suddenly became EXTREMELY INTERESTING."
: ???

: "CHARGE!"

: "Don't worry, Nastassia.  I'll find out what happened to your pops.  Gimmie, like, a day.  Tops."
: "Goodbye." She kisses you again, and then turns so that she will not see you leave.

Yeah, you can basically make out with Nastassia as often as you want by this point, given you're male.  If you're female, she experiences a feeling of sisterhood with you; unlike some other "encounters" in both this game and the sequel, Nastassia's is much more sincere and strictly heterosexual.

So, Dave got magical C4 and a girlfriend!  All in all, its been quite productive!  So, let's see if we can't solve this little mystery with Dave's new squeeze -

: "There's kids present!"
: "A kid."

And that kid's killed bandits with a shotgun.  I think a little admittedly healthy (if somewhat sappy) romance would actually do the poor little bugger some good, in the long-term.

: "Fine."

- and maybe, possibly do a few ancillary things that may, or may not, be related to the actual plot of the game in any way.

RavynousHunter:
19. In which Dave solves Nastassia's mystery

So, we've been given a quest.  Nastassia's probably one of the most decent people on this rock and, besides, its a quest.  Quests mean XP, XP means levels, levels mean we can more efficiently stove people's heads in and take their shit.

: "Let's head on to Yew and see what we can find, crew."
: "Shouldn't we be solving that murder...?"
: "Or at least going to Bucaneer's Den and getting shithoused?"
: "Or any of the other myriad subquests you've likely started by complete accident since coming here?"
: "...Ya know, just for all that back-chat, no.  We're going straight to Yew, because I'm the only one that can drive the flying carpet."
: "Heh.  'Drive.'"

So, we park the carpet over at Yew.  I parked at the graveyard since its nice and memorable, and there's plenty of space.  Besides, its not like they're gonna come out of their graves to exact their vengeance upon the living.

Heading to the right a bit, we come across Empath Abbey proper.  This is a good place to stock up on food, if you don't mind stealing it.  A lot of the barrels in here are loaded to the gills with grapes (don't fill very much, but there's a LOT of the little bastards) because the monks are serious winos.  Its here that we meet a gentleman by the name of Kreg.

: "Howdy, Kreg.  What do you do around here?"
: "I am a monk here at the Abbey. I am working on an alchemical mixture."
: "A mixture?  ...That's not a by-word for 'steroids' is it?"
: "...Nooooooo?  We here at the Abbey will soon be taking a vow of silence. However, it will take some time for all of us to become accustomed to the sound of silence. Therefore, I am creating a potion that enables the imbiber to become temporarily silent. The concept is very similar to a potion of invisibility."
: "A vow of silence?  That's a new one on me."
: "Well," he looks embarrassed, "after reading a book on how we compare to our predecessors, we learned that most people expect us to take a vow of silence. "So," he shrugs, "we have chosen to do so, once I can make that potion. I realize that it sounds foolish, but I truly believe it will help us produce more wine."
: "Are you an idiot?  Communication is key during the brewing process!"
: "And why a potion of invisibility?  That seems...oddly specific."
: "As a matter of fact, my research has reached an impasse, for I cannot determine the nature of some critical reagents. What I need is a potion of invisibility to analyze. Then I could progress from there." He looks at you, hopefully. "Wouldst thou be willing to obtain a potion for my studies? It is likely that thou couldst find one easily at the mage, Nicodemus'."
: "I'll pass, for now.  I have more pressing matters that need my attention than a guy that wants to shut up but never learned the fine art of just shitting his damn mouth."
: "Art thou sure? I will give thee information in return."
: "What kind of information?"
: "I will tell thee about Lord British, The Fellowship, or Buccaneer's Den if thou bringest me the potion of invisibility."
: "The liege everyone knows, the Scientologists I distrusted from the word 'go,' and Whore Island.  Not exactly tantalizing me, dude.  Later."
: He nods farewell to you.

Well, that was suitably un-fucking-helpful.  Kreg's got no info regarding Nastassia's dad and he seems to want everyone to shut up.  Apparently, he's not heard of the miracle new invention called a "gag."  Whatever, let's see if any of the other monks can help.

Nearby, we find this gent.  Also a monk of the Abbey, maybe he will be useful.

: "Glorious day, Avatar." Perrin grins.
: "Calm down there, Sparky.  You know anything about the Abbey or the surrounding area?"
: "This is a pleasant location. I like the privacy, which gives me a chance to study when I need to. The Brotherhood is across the road, and I am near a healer. Also, I have begun a study on the effects of dealing with death for undertakers. I am using Tiery as a case study."
: "I'll admit, I never thought of studying morticians.  You know anything about a dude named Julius?"
: "Nope."
: "Thank you for not wasting my time like that asshole, Kreg.  Later."
: "Goodbye, Avatar. Best of luck in thy journeys."

Yet more completely unhelpful people.  Come on!  Surely someone's gotta know about this guy.

: "Hello, Avatar," says Reyna.
: "You a monk or...?"
: "I am a healer. I have chosen to set up shop here near the forest."
: "Why, though?"
: "I wanted to live and work here because the land is very beautiful. I have found many things to do and see. Unfortunately, the forest is so spread out that I have yet to meet many of the others who live in this area. I do know that the Abbey is just across the way from mine house."And somewhere nearby is a scholar." She appears thoughtful for a moment. "Also, I believe there is a prison just east of the Abbey.
: "Fair enough.  I guess its not terrible around here.  You wouldn't happen to know about a feller by the name of Julius, would ya?"
: "I do not."
: "SON OF A BITCH!  Okay, I'll catch ya later.  On to the next unhelpful bellend!"

Shit, even I'm starting to get frustrated, by this point.  Thankfully, Yew doesn't have very many people in it, so we can narrow the list of persons who know anything down readily enough.  Still, though.

: "Greetings, Avatar. I hope thy days are full of beauty."
: "Are you...hitting on me...?"
: "She's a monk, so I'd imagine not."
: "Getting 'Kreg from the Abbey' vibes here.  Again."
: "I am afraid I do not know of such a person."
: "Wait...what?"
: "What he said."
: "There's nobody named Kreg at the Abbey."
: "I guess, being a monk, she'd know."
: "Hm.  You know anything about Julius?"
: "Someone else might, but I don't."
: "Fine.  Let's find the NEXT useless person."

: "You're oddly stuck on this."
: "I will get fucking un-stuck.  Just you wait."
: "That sounds vaguely threatening..."
: "I'm not gonna kill anyone.  Probably."
: "So not helping."

So, here's the skinny.  We got one more monk to hit up.  Bad news!  He's ass-deep in the fucking woods!  It took me forever to find this son of a bitch.  In fact, I had to find him in Exult's cheat menu and teleport my happy ass to him.  Yes, he was that irritating to fucking find.

He was here, for future reference.

: "Yes, Avatar," Taylor asks. "May I assist thee?"
: "JULIUS."
: "Did I do something?"
: "No, he's just frustrated."
: "In more ways than one."
: "I'd suggest answering the implied question all the same, though.  Just to be safe."
: "The giant, daemonic sword isn't for show."
: *gulp* "Julius? I cannot be certain, but 'tis possible he may be someone who now resides in the... cemetery. I have heard that name mentioned as someone who was brought to the Abbey to be buried, though I know not who brought him and I do not remember from whom I heard it. I do hope he was not a friend of thine," he says, apologetically.
: "So, he died, then?  Any leads?"
: "Ah, the Emps. I have not been able to glean much information about them."They live on the eastern edge of the deep forest, not too terribly far from here."They resemble apes, but only slightly. They are exceedingly shy, and will rarely feel comfortable enough to approach a human. "The only way I was able to view an Emp closely occurred when I happened to have honey in my pack which I had just picked up from Bee Cave. The creature appeared, stared at me for a few minutes, and then asked -- asked, I say -- for mine honey. I believe they are empathic, hence their name. "Quite an interesting species, dost thou not agree?"
: "Huh, okay.  So, fetch some honey and give it to some little woodland dudes?"
: "The honey from the caves is quite tasty, but rarely can one get it without a fight. The Bee Caves can be a rather dangerous place."
: "Ya know, I think I might know what he's talking about."
: "Killer.  Hey, Taylor, one last question."
: "Shoot."
: "Aimi didn't seem to know anything about the Kreg guy hanging out in the Abbey.  You know him?"
: "That name does not sound familiar, Avatar. Perhaps he is not from this area."
: "I'm a kid, and even I find that suspicious."
: "You're catching on quick, Robin.  The guy's probably a con artist or something."
: "Dealt with some of them in the past, you see."
: "If by 'dealt with' you mean 'perforated,' then yes."
: "Cool!"
: "Later, Taylor."
: "May thy knowledge increase with thine encounters with nature, Avatar."
: "You're some kinda hippie."

Okay, so we know that Nastassia's dad is no longer of this world.  That's...unfortunate.  But, we did get a roundabout lead in the form of the Emps.  Emps are basically little ape-dudes that live in the forest east of Yew.  They're alright little fellows, mostly harmless.  But, they happen to know a lot about things in the woods.  In fact, they're plot critical, but more on that later.  For now, we've got a suspicious character to investigate.

Heading to the jail, we find a book on the warden's desk...

: "Ooooooooohhhhhhhhh, someone's in trou-ble!"

Indeed!  Turns out that Kreg's a liar and a career criminal whose real name is Kellin.  Let's go beat him over the head with a pipe see what he has to say for himself!

: "You're really doing this?  Six heavily armed men...well, five heavily armed men and one kid with a shotgun."
: "He's swinging at me with a magic, transforming dagger."
: "He seems quite intent on killing you, Iolo."
: "MUST SHANK OLD MAN!"
: "Arcadion?"
: "On it, boss."

: "Leaving now."
: "Are we just gonna leave his carcass rotting on the roof of Empath Abbey?"
: "Someone will tell the undertaker, its cool."
: *sigh*

Thus, we began our journey to the Bee Caves, which are just south of Yew.  We come to a gent's shack, which is suspiciously empty.  Curious, maybe he knows how to get the bees to not attack us...given our semi-ghetto armour situation, that would be helpful.

Yatta!  This dude is Tseramed.  He's a cool guy: makes sleep arrows for free (which have a chance to temporarily KO anyone they hit) and has a way to pacify the bees.  Plus: party member potential!

: "Yo.  Who're you?"
: "I am called Tseramed. Art thou Fellowship members? How art thou called?"
: "In order: no and Dave."
: "Well met, Dave. Thy demeanor is noble. Perhaps thou couldst introduce me to thy companions?"
: "I do suppose introductions are in order...we got Iolo."
: "I do my damndest to keep this idiot on the story path."
: "Thus far, you have failed miserably."
: "I dunno, that thing with the Cube generator was pretty important."
: "...Point."
: "Yeah, but that was all me.  Next up is Shamino."
: "Yo."
: "I found him sitting buck naked in a bar in Britain."
: "Hey!"
: "Got Sentri-"
: "Who caught me before I'd even had time for breakfast."
: "Unless you have breakfast at, like, noon, then you were just home alone, pantsless, and didn't expect visitors, ya fuckin liar.  Next up is Dupre."
: "I singlehandedly keep the liquor industry afloat in this god-forsaken country."
: "And last, but not least: Spark."
: "He calls me 'Robin,' for some reason.  But, he gave me a gun and taught me to shoot bad guys, so I'm not gonna complain."
: "And that about sums it up.  Say, you know anything about those bees?"
: "Such bees as thou hast never seen! Large as a wolf they are, with wings stretching over a span in length. A creature stung by them will pass into a deep, death-like sleep."
: "Metal."
: "I have hunted them on many occasions, for I use their poison on my arrows. And I like their honey. Perhaps together we might journey into the cave for some?"
: "You offerin to join the crew?  Hell, why not.  The more firepower, the better!"
: "I would be honored, Dave."
: "Let's rock!"
: "Thy pardon, Dave, but thy visage brings to my mind a statue that I once saw.  'Twas a likeness of the ancient hero known as the Avatar. Art thou not that same honorable soul?"
: "Someone that fucking recognizes me?  Holy shit, I'm floored.  To answer you directly: yes."
: "Noble hero, it is an honor to make thine aquaintance."
: "Suck up."
: "So far up his ass, you could tell what he had for breakfast..."
: "Hmm?"
: "Yes, 'hmm'?"
: "Nothing!"

Tseramed's got okay stats, being slightly above average in strength and dexterity.  Alas, he's also got slightly below average combat rating, but that can be readily fixed.

: "Why the hell are none of you people wearing pants?!"
: "Not answering that."

: "Go in here, and put some fucking clothes on!"

Thankfully, Tseramed's got some pants in his house, as well as a shirt.  I don't think the regular shirts add any armour value, but at least he's not going to go around killing bandits while flashing his man-nipples to everyone.  Our armour and kit situation's still a little janky, but at least we can get Tseramed a gorget, magic shield, and magic axe.  That should tide him over, for the time being.

Making our way into the Bee Caves, the bees are surprisingly docile.  They won't attack you unless you take their honey, which is amazingly nice for bees that are literally the size of wolves.  During the course of our conversation, Tseramed popped a smokebomb into our inventory.  This is handy as hell, but only works for a limited time.  We'll use it now, so we can nick the honey and scarper off before the bees are any the wiser.

RavynousHunter:

: "Leg it!"

Escaping from the Bee Cave, we head east on the carpet, into the forest.  You'll know you've found the Emps' village when you see a cluster of blue-leaved, white-barked trees.  These are Silverleaf trees, and its where the Emps make their homes.  You can park just south of them, but come across...

A bandit camp!  Unfortunately, the dogs are as hostile as the people, and attack you on sight.  Thankfully, they're not hard to dispatch, and we begin rifling through their shit.  Hidden in the trees next to the bedrolls is a set of magic armour, which I've pulled out from its hidey-hole.  All told, we get a couple extra bits of chainmail, some more gold (I forgot to tally how much), a set of plate leggings, and a boost to our food reserves.

This helps to fix our completely shit armour situation.  Tseramed, Iolo, Shamino, and Sentri get the various bits of chain and plate we've found lying about, with Tseramed getting the magic armour-

: "Brown noser..."

-because he's currently behind the rest of the party in experience and combat ability.

Moving north, we find the Emp village!  Emps can be hard as all fuck to spot, considering they're little, brown dudes in a sea of brown god damned trees and mounds of equally brown dirt.  In order to talk to the Emps, you need one pot of honey.  I got the others because, fuck it, why not?

: "You are greeted by me, human." Tavenor slowly approaches.
: "So, what's your job around these parts?"
: "The meaning of `job' is not understood."
: "Its what you do to make money or help your community...in a nutshell."
: "`Job' now understood by me. No job is had by me. Food is gathered by me and my family." He watches you carefully. "Your job is to cut down Silverleaf trees, yes?"
: "The only things I cut down are monsters and bandits, little Emp dude."
: "The truth is known to me, but, belief is hard for me."
: "The truth is spoken by the human," Trellek says to the other Emp. "He is to be trusted. His good will was felt by me."
: The Emp eyes you a little longer. "Your good intentions are known to me. You are asked to be the messenger. Humans will not be destroyers, please."
: "Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.  If you don't mind, I'm gonna talk to your mouthy little friend, now."
: "You are told `goodbye.'"

: "Dave.  What do you do around here, Trellek?"
: "I am a gatherer of food."
: "Gatherer, but not hunter, I take it?"
: "All Emps are food-gatherers. Mainly fruits are sought by us."
: "I've been known to enjoy the odd apple, myself."
: "Fruits are pleasant-tasting, like the honey you gave us!"
: "Any time, little buddy.  Say, total shot in the dark, but you know anything about a chap named Julius?"

Well, that's...actually a lot happier than I'd expected.  Well, when I first played this, at any rate.  Julius wasn't a deadbeat that ran out on his wife and daughter, just a good dude that died doing the right thing.

: "Thanks, Trellek.  I'll see ya again."
: "Good luck is hoped for you."

Trellek's cool for a little monkey-dude.  Plus, he's helpful for more than just figuring out what happened to Nastassia's dad.  Eventually, he will become plot critical.  But, for now, we should return to Cove.  Nastassia's waited long enough.

: The woman raises her arms to the sky and cries out, "Didst thou hear that, mother? Thine husband was only trying to provide for his family! And he died... a hero! He was not a vagabond! Dost thou hear? Thou canst rest thy tortured soul now. Please, mother, forgive him. Do so, so that I can now forgive thee." She wipes the tears from her face and looks at you. She kisses you once lightly. "Thank thee, Avatar. Thou hast made me very happy. Shouldst thou become weary of adventuring, I shall be waiting here for thee. Thou art welcome to live and share thy life with me. Go now. Finish the job thou must needs do. But keep me in thy thoughts."

: *sighs* "Nastassia, I gave this a lot of thought while I was running around trying to find this out and killing random criminals in the process..."
: ???
: "I'm the Avatar.  I've been doing this gig for most of my life, now.  With it comes certain...expectations.  Certain dangers.  I don't have anyone back home-"
: "Jesus."
: "Zip it."

: "I live alone in the middle of the nowhere in fucking Texas.  I get called here to go on some grand adventure or other, suss out the problems this world's got...then, I get sent back home.  Nobody ever asks if I wanted to go back, I'm practically shoved through the fucking moongate every time."
: "The last time was kinda warranted, though..."
: "Be that as it may, I never wanted to go back.  I just always thought that I had to, that once my job was done, I'd leave Britannia and it'd be peaceful, for god damned once.  But, I've been proven wrong time and time again.  Honestly, I'm fucking sick of it.  So...eh..."
: "Take your time."
: "I'm not going anywhere."
: "Fuck it.  Look, Nastassia-"
: "Yes?"
: "Once this Guardian shit's dealt with, I'm done.  Lord British can find a new fucking Avatar, for all I care.  I'll settle here, with you, and become another regular jackass. But, I have no idea how dangerous getting rid of this current problem's gonna be.  I could die.  I could get shunted to another fucking dimension or trapped in blackrock or sent through time or something."
: "Its okay.  I accepted that the moment I said what I said."
: *sigh*  "Shit.  Well, in for a penny...  I'll be back, Nastassia.  That's a promise."
: "Goodbye." She kisses you again, and then turns so that she will not see you leave.

: "Gentlemen, let's take a walk."

Yes, let's.  That's Nastassia's quest ticked off the list!  We got a new member of the crew and Dave's come to an important conclusion.  I'm still deciding where I'll go next, and who will be the crew's last member.  I should get around to fixing our shit kit situation, too, actually.  Damn, I've got crap to do!  Til next time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version