Author Topic: National Elections Thread  (Read 78549 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: National Elections Thread
« Reply #645 on: November 09, 2016, 08:45:04 pm »
Just a wee point on Republican presidents. The nuttiness in Reagan and Bush jr were emergent properites that became known after they got their claws stuck into power. Bush has displayed vengefulness, meglomania and an ability to make huge financial fuckups before getting anywhere near the White House.

So there's that!

Well, both Reagan and Bush Jr had records as state Governors. I'm not too familiar with those records, but they had them.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #646 on: November 09, 2016, 09:08:26 pm »
Sorry meant to say Trump not Bush my bad. 

But yeah Reagan was fond of using the National Guard to cosh protesters and Bush was very execution happy so there were hints.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:19:26 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #647 on: November 10, 2016, 02:45:14 am »
Not part of what everyone was just talking about but I thought this might amuse people as much as it amuses me - Donald Trump's opinion of the electoral college back in 2012:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266038556504494082

I wonder if he still feels that way 4 years later, after losing the popular vote?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #648 on: November 10, 2016, 04:48:36 am »
I'll admit I laugh a little thinking of all those companies who gave Clinton $ for future favors that she can't do now.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #649 on: November 10, 2016, 05:28:24 am »
I'll admit I laugh a little thinking of all those companies who gave Clinton $ for future favors that she can't do now.

Don't worry about them, I'm sure there are plenty of Congressional Republicans they gave money to as well.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #650 on: November 10, 2016, 06:51:23 am »
Hey guys remember me I've been away at university so I thought I'd check in and see what I missed....

Oh. Shit. I don't think I'm comfortable living in a reality where meme magic can influence elections...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #651 on: November 10, 2016, 07:17:08 am »
Here is why MOST people who voted for Trump, voted for him:

The average working American is tired of Washington DC. They tired of them making the politician lives better and theirs worse. They are tired of paying for every other fuck out there (whether thats in state or out of the country). They are tired of stupid laws and rules, taxes and insurances, this and that. They are simple tired of the same old bullshit lies that isnt going to change anything, other than line the politician pockets with more cash.

If you dont think Hillary is one of them, you are blind. The DNC rigged the Dem vote. If theyd of had Sanders (even tho technically he was Independent), they would have won. A vote for Hillary was saying "Sure, continue to rip my ass a new one. I dont mind!" So a lot of us Sanders voters who werent trying to save the world with peace, love, and happiness turned on them.

Now is Trump going to fix this, no, but there is at least a good chance some stuff is going to shake up. Obamacare (while the intent is good) will get off the fucking table and maybe get fixed, or at worst, lower insurance costs because its nullified.

In the end, if you think the POTUS is some all savior thats going to lift the American people and rise, think again. We havent had that since FDR. The POTUS is an American Mascot who parades around to other countries and you get to put a face to something.

Maybe, with Trump the American people will finally raise up and revolt and finally do something. We are pissed at Washington and want stuff fixed.

Now, there is still a large portion of bigots, sexists, racists, gun humping (I like guns too, but I mean gun lovers to tenth power), and just sad/weird people who voted for him, but that can be said about Hillary as well. She isnt a saint and if you think she is better than Trump, then youre telling me again, youre good with the way the current political system is, and you cant possibly feel that way.

In the end though, now we have an orange baboon with a funny hair piece as a mascot, and we can all laugh at that.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #652 on: November 10, 2016, 07:31:56 am »
What really makes me nervous guns wise is the aim of these rust-belt Americans.

I mean they wanted to hurl a brick through the window of the elites and managed instead to hurl one of the more talentless, silver spoon degenerate, full of shit elite class mouthbreathers to the highest office in the land.

They...do know which end of a firearm they're supposed to aim with, right?

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #653 on: November 10, 2016, 08:02:27 am »
Here is why MOST people who voted for Trump, voted for him:

The average working American is tired of Washington DC. They tired of them making the politician lives better and theirs worse. They are tired of paying for every other fuck out there (whether thats in state or out of the country). They are tired of stupid laws and rules, taxes and insurances, this and that. They are simple tired of the same old bullshit lies that isnt going to change anything, other than line the politician pockets with more cash.

If you dont think Hillary is one of them, you are blind. The DNC rigged the Dem vote. If theyd of had Sanders (even tho technically he was Independent), they would have won. A vote for Hillary was saying "Sure, continue to rip my ass a new one. I dont mind!" So a lot of us Sanders voters who werent trying to save the world with peace, love, and happiness turned on them.

Now is Trump going to fix this, no, but there is at least a good chance some stuff is going to shake up. Obamacare (while the intent is good) will get off the fucking table and maybe get fixed, or at worst, lower insurance costs because its nullified.

In the end, if you think the POTUS is some all savior thats going to lift the American people and rise, think again. We havent had that since FDR. The POTUS is an American Mascot who parades around to other countries and you get to put a face to something.

Maybe, with Trump the American people will finally raise up and revolt and finally do something. We are pissed at Washington and want stuff fixed.

Now, there is still a large portion of bigots, sexists, racists, gun humping (I like guns too, but I mean gun lovers to tenth power), and just sad/weird people who voted for him, but that can be said about Hillary as well. She isnt a saint and if you think she is better than Trump, then youre telling me again, youre good with the way the current political system is, and you cant possibly feel that way.

In the end though, now we have an orange baboon with a funny hair piece as a mascot, and we can all laugh at that.
Holy fuck that is ignorant. I don't care what the person's ethnicity is they are a privileged fucking cunt. The US health system lets people die due to lack of insurance and while Obamacare reaches only some of them it still means thousands of lives saved each year in long term. Thinking that Trump or the Republicans care enough to to do anything about it is delusional.

"Worst case scenario is that the insurance rates go down." Yeah, and around 5000 - 10 000 people will die preventable deaths each year.* That doesn't matter, though, as long as the person can feel good about shaking the system up a bit and laugh at an orange clown.

A quick estimation based on data in http://obamacarefacts.com/facts-on-deaths-due-to-lack-of-health-insurance-in-us/. Obamacare reached about 25% of the previously uninsured people and the estimations about deaths due to lack of insurance are between 20 000 and 45 000.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #654 on: November 10, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »
There is still a chance. December 17 the electors vote in finality, and select the next President. If there are some defections, we could still have President Clinton.

Sure, its un-democratic. But those disgusting piglets and cretins do not deserve democracy. There is no circumstance in which the un-educated deserve to tell the educated how to run a country.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #655 on: November 10, 2016, 02:29:06 pm »
There is still a chance. December 17 the electors vote in finality, and select the next President. If there are some defections, we could still have President Clinton.

Sure, its un-democratic. But those disgusting piglets and cretins do not deserve democracy. There is no circumstance in which the un-educated deserve to tell the educated how to run a country.

And you were calling me a Nazi?

Lol.  Nice of you to show off your own fascist credentials there.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #656 on: November 10, 2016, 03:08:16 pm »
Is this shit actually happening? Tell me this is some sort of sick joke?
https://twitter.com/i/moments/796417517157830656

G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #657 on: November 10, 2016, 03:14:29 pm »

That depends on how the electors are chosen:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G16/EC-Appointed.phtml

Faithless electors can be subject to some stiff penalties: fines (North Carolina, Oklahoma, Washington), or even criminal prosecutions (New Mexico, South Carolina). In Utah, you're outright disqualified as an elector and the other electors vote for you.

I can't see enough electors having been chosen by groups other than Trump loyalists who are willing to go against the results in their state, especially since conservatives tend to fall in line behind a leader, especially someone like Trump who portrays himself like a strongman. Much more likely that we'd see faithless electors in Clinton-won states, like those two in Washington.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #658 on: November 10, 2016, 03:20:07 pm »

Well Fascism is the combination of right wing, and nationalistic with authoritarian. This is why not every authoritarian is a "Fascist", Vlad the Impaler and Emperor Caligula were not Fascists. While I don't agree with niam he's not calling for the mobilization of all citizens to form a one party state in a nation that draws it's power from a merger of state and corporate control.

Neither are you, though you certainly fit the "authoritarian", "right wing" and "nationalist" parts.

But then being precise with words you throw around was never really your thing!

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #659 on: November 10, 2016, 04:05:07 pm »

Well Fascism is the combination of right wing, and nationalistic with authoritarian. This is why not every authoritarian is a "Fascist", Vlad the Impaler and Emperor Caligula were not Fascists. While I don't agree with niam he's not calling for the mobilization of all citizens to form a one party state in a nation that draws it's power from a merger of state and corporate control.

Neither are you, though you certainly fit the "authoritarian", "right wing" and "nationalist" parts.

But then being precise with words you throw around was never really your thing!

If you support ignoring the will of the electorate and just going with what you wanted regardless, it's YOU that's authoritarian, not me.

Personally, I think Democrats should take the advice they levelled at Trump before the election and accept the result without shenanigans...

...or riots.

Lol.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."