Author Topic: Excel 2013 Question  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Excel 2013 Question
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:12:19 pm »
Is anyone here familair with Excel 2013?  I know you can 'program' it to count the cells with numbers but can it do the same with cells with words and phrases, like a word count in MS Word?

This company that makes wargames has me making a bestiary for one of their fantasy games, and I was trying to use Excel to help me list each monster as I come up with them.  I'm using each cell to list each monster, with each column representing a group (animal, humanoid, etc.).

I was hoping to use Excel to count each cell so I knew how many monsters I had listed, since I was figuring it was easier than counting each time (as i'm trying to come up with about 200).  For example, I could click some and it'd tell me, I have about 160 monsters listed by that point.

Is this possible to do in Excel, or does it only count numbers and I'll have to count as I go?

Thanks in advance.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Excel 2013 Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:56 pm »
Not Excel, but OpenOffice Calc counts the number of non-empty entries in a range with the COUNTA() function (Ex. COUNTA(A1:A1048576) for column A. You can use COUNTIF() to count the number of entries that meet a specific condition.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:00:56 pm »
Thanks.  Excel has Countif as well.  I just can't figure out how to make it count all.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »
Have you tried COUNTIF(A1:A1048576,"*")
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:45:06 pm »
No, but I will.  Thanks.