Author Topic: Jim Henson Company severs relationship with Chik-Fil-A  (Read 8665 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Jim Henson Company severs relationship with Chik-Fil-A
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:53:41 pm »
So recently, Chick-Fil-A's CEO came out and said what we all know.  That he, and by extension his company, endorses the biblical definition of marriage.  Or at least the one idiots think is the biblical definition of marriage.  One woman, one man.  Because I'm like that.  Most recently is that their kid's toys were provided by the Jim Henson Company.  And after that little announcment, JHC decided it didn't want to play anymore with a fast food joint that endorses discrimination

Kermit and Miss Piggy won't be chomping down on Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches any longer.

The Jim Henson Company will stop providing toys for the fast food chains kids meals because of Chick-fil-A's anti-gay marriage stance.

On Facebook, the company said that CEO Lisa Henson is a strong supporter of  marriage equality and decided to end the relationship with the food-maker. The company behind the Muppets will donate the money it received from Chick-fil-A to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD).

"The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years and we have notified Chick-fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors," the statement reads.[/url]

So Chik-Fil-A then sent out a store-wide sign to all their franchises detailing just how to proceed when a customer asks why they can't get a little finger puppet for their kid's to play with for the time it takes to get home from the drive-in.  And here's the sign.

Ironbite-they sure do practice "Christian" values don't they?

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Re: Jim Henson Company severs relationship with Chik-Fil-A
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:35:57 pm »
I cannot for the life of me understand why corporations are involving themselves in the same-sex marriage debate on either side.  I'm not really sure what they gain from it.  Invariably they end up drawing one consumer base while alienating another.  Remember the whole hullabaloo over the multicolored Oreo cookie?  Well this is the opposite of that.

I mean seriously, these people are selling cookies, chicken sandwiches, and other consumer products.  Why should anyone give a shit what the upper management or board of directors of this company or that one thinks about the issue?

(unless, of course, it is all an insidious plot to allow corporations to legally marry each other, in which case God/Allah/Buddha/whatever help us all)
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 05:38:42 pm »
Yeah, Chik-Fil-A's coming out as homophobic isn't going over well at all.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:41:26 pm »
Well, lying about the whole thing and making the toys look unsafe.

These people sure practice Christian values, alright.

...They fail biblical studies forever.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:34:28 pm »
I'm still trying to find that biblical definition of marriage.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:06:31 pm »
Now we just need to get the info out that Dominos Pizza is a fundie company.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:14:44 pm »
Feel that Christian love. And proper values.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:21:58 pm »
I cannot for the life of me understand why corporations are involving themselves in the same-sex marriage debate on either side.  I'm not really sure what they gain from it.  Invariably they end up drawing one consumer base while alienating another.  Remember the whole hullabaloo over the multicolored Oreo cookie?  Well this is the opposite of that.

I mean seriously, these people are selling cookies, chicken sandwiches, and other consumer products.  Why should anyone give a shit what the upper management or board of directors of this company or that one thinks about the issue?

(unless, of course, it is all an insidious plot to allow corporations to legally marry each other, in which case God/Allah/Buddha/whatever help us all)

Mostly, it comes down to the sense of consumer pride. People on both sides of the issue want the companies they support to in turn support them. For bigots, that means they don't want companies who "cater to the faggots". For reasonable people, they don't want to be lining the pockets of bigots.

I never have and never will eat Chik-fil-A. Their stance on gay marriage is the primary factor in that. Why would I spend my money at a place that will donate my money to causes that will try to negatively impact my life?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 07:30:38 pm »
So Chik-fil-a supports the biblical definition of marriage. Which one?

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »
Gonna go with Genesis 2:24 there Alex.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 08:35:39 pm »
The Daily show covered this rather nicely. And hilariously.

Seriously. Watch it.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 09:45:00 pm »

Hey, I worked for Domino's, I still like them.  One of the best jobs I had (for exercise, since I was going door-to-door and hanging promo tags off of doorknobs)
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Lachrymose

• Neonate
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 10:09:54 pm »
I'm still trying to find that biblical definition of marriage.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw</a>

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »

Hey, I worked for Domino's, I still like them.  One of the best jobs I had (for exercise, since I was going door-to-door and hanging promo tags off of doorknobs)

Well, Domino's founder is notoriously anti-choice, and gives a shit load of money to anti-choice groups like Operation Rescue
http://www.alternet.org/economy/156405/5_food_companies_run_by_radical_right-wingers/

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »

Mostly, it comes down to the sense of consumer pride. People on both sides of the issue want the companies they support to in turn support them. For bigots, that means they don't want companies who "cater to the faggots". For reasonable people, they don't want to be lining the pockets of bigots.

I never have and never will eat Chik-fil-A. Their stance on gay marriage is the primary factor in that. Why would I spend my money at a place that will donate my money to causes that will try to negatively impact my life?
That and you simply don't want to alienate a chunk of your clients.

Chick-Fil-A's case is different though, since it is IIRC family-owned, and not publicly listed as these other companies are. Meaning Casey, the CEO, has no one to answer to but himself. In most companies usually its a combination of customer demand and investor pressure that determines what the employees, especially the CEO, does. In private companies the investor pressure is gone, in the hands of a CEO who decided losing a few customers may be worth clarifying his stance. Customer pressure may also be less significant for them compared to Jim Henson, or Starbucks, because their customer base consists mostly of the same bunch who would probably vote against gay marriage anyway.