Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463454 times)

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1005 on: September 07, 2012, 03:38:18 pm »
Apparently Old Rebuplic is going to become free to play! I am downloading the trial version to get an early look at the game.

Seriously though, I expect to see the same problems that all MMORPG's have. Namely, you have to play with other people. People who behave like the average online player...

Still, I am going to try it.
Let me know how it is. I've been tempted to try it since it's going free, but I have the same apprehensions you do. Plus they can be a real time suck.

Saturn500

« Reply #1006 on: September 07, 2012, 03:43:27 pm »
Wait, I'm dumb, what's wrong with Alienware? Are you talking about laptops only?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1007 on: September 07, 2012, 04:31:46 pm »
Wait, I'm dumb, what's wrong with Alienware? Are you talking about laptops only?

I think it's that Alienware claims to make gaming-quality computers, but they take a lot of shortcuts and use less powerful components, then jack up the price heavily for the brand name.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Saturn500

« Reply #1008 on: September 07, 2012, 05:40:08 pm »

I think it's that Alienware claims to make gaming-quality computers, but they take a lot of shortcuts and use less powerful components, then jack up the price heavily for the brand name.

(Looking at my Alienware PC)...well, shit. Note to self: Never trust Dell to give me good advice for buying computers again. Well, at least it works.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1009 on: September 07, 2012, 05:49:25 pm »
Generally speaking, if you're going to make a gaming rig, its better and cheaper to just make it yourself with parts you buy offa Newegg or somesuch.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Saturn500

« Reply #1010 on: September 07, 2012, 06:32:58 pm »
Well, it's too late for me to do that now. By about a few months.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1011 on: September 07, 2012, 06:53:45 pm »
Well, it's too late for me to do that now. By about a few months.

Bootstraps!

But, in all seriousness, tis something worth considering if you're into PC gaming.  If ya buy right, a good gaming computer (that will last ya a while) should run ya half, perhaps even less, of what you'd pay for a decent pre-built machine.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1012 on: September 07, 2012, 07:12:44 pm »
I'm eager to build a gaming PC once I have more hardware knowledge and money. My current laptop was a gift to me for schoolwork, so it's not like I feel particularly ripped or anything. I'm thankful to have a machine to use, especially since it'll play a lot of good stuff like GW, Minecraft, Sims 3, etc.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #1013 on: September 07, 2012, 08:03:58 pm »
Apparently Old Rebuplic is going to become free to play! I am downloading the trial version to get an early look at the game.

Seriously though, I expect to see the same problems that all MMORPG's have. Namely, you have to play with other people. People who behave like the average online player...

Still, I am going to try it.
Let me know how it is. I've been tempted to try it since it's going free, but I have the same apprehensions you do. Plus they can be a real time suck.

I played when it first came out.

No, you do not have to play with other people (until end game). You can quest solo, and even run the flashpoints solo once you outlevel them. (It's a way to get moddable armor.) As I understand the F2P, you are limited on how much you can PvP in Warzones, but open world PvP is unlimited. (I believe the limit is 1 WZ a day.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #1014 on: September 07, 2012, 08:52:56 pm »
Sounds promising. What are flashpoints?

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #1015 on: September 07, 2012, 09:04:41 pm »
I am in literal shock and disbelief at just how poorly designed that laptop is. I mean it is at Alienware level bad. It’s not like they can claim ignorance, they specifically had an OEM license with Microsoft. Microsoft had to give them the specifications for running and bust practice guidelines for compatibility.

This is not Sleepy’s fault either, as it is my opinion that Sleepy was burned by whoever made and sold that laptop.

I am baffled.  Not every laptop is made to exploit the power of a given operating system and/or hardware configuration.  Many, if not most of them, are made for your everyday consumer, and your everyday consumer isn't going to need too much in the way of hardware horsepower, including RAM.

Unless you get an expensive fucking laptop, chances are, you're not getting a whole hell of a lot of horsepower.  Case in point, I spent ~$400 on mine.  Yeah, it was cheap, but it works, plays games relatively well, and does what I need it to do.  I don't need Alienware-level horsepower, I'm not going to be playing Skyrim or Crysis on my laptop, and I never expected as much when I got it.

So, don't even blame the manufacturer, they make the cheaper laptops for the people who generally buy them, people who don't need much horsepower.  If you want that, you get a desktop.

Just because you're not a power user doesn't mean the manufacturer shouldn't take into consideration which components work the best.  To put it another way, whether the budget is $400 or $4000, there's always a reason to make it the best possible system within that budget.  RAM upgrades are very cheap and easy, so it makes no sense not to have that capability.  That is, unless the manufacturer wants customers to repeatedly buy cheap throwaway laptops every time they need an upgrade, which is a distinct possibility.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1016 on: September 07, 2012, 09:22:04 pm »
That's just it, though, the RAM works just fine.  There's a cost vs. benefit thing there, too, on the manufacturer's side.  RAM costs money, the more of it you plunk in, the more it'll cost to make, and the shorter the battery life on the resulting laptop will be.

Your typical consumer wants good battery life from a laptop, and the more serious hardware you put into it, the less that will be, and the less likely Joe Average will be to buy it.  Sure, you'll appeal more to the ever-growing gamer populace, but the Joe Average consumer will always outnumber us, and his dollar will always be the first dollar they seek.

[ETA]

After playing GW2, I can honestly say that I am in love with the Engineer.  However, I'm also taking a liking to my Sylvari Thief...I've always loved stealth.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:20:14 am by RavynousHunter »

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #1017 on: September 08, 2012, 03:57:50 am »
I getting really tired of the concept of hype. Yes, it's a good thing to get your game out there, showing the positives etc. But at the same time, it launches and basically it stabs you in the back.

"SWTOR isn't the WOW-killer I was expecting! It's now a failure in everyway to me!"
"GW2 isn't the WOW-killer I was expecting! It's now a failure in everyway to me!"

Massively Comments make my head hurt sometimes.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1018 on: September 08, 2012, 04:41:19 am »
I getting really tired of the concept of hype. Yes, it's a good thing to get your game out there, showing the positives etc. But at the same time, it launches and basically it stabs you in the back.

"SWTOR isn't the WOW-killer I was expecting! It's now a failure in everyway to me!"
"GW2 isn't the WOW-killer I was expecting! It's now a failure in everyway to me!"

Massively Comments make my head hurt sometimes.

At least they didn't pull a Peter Molyneux, and go "THIS GAME WILL LITERALLY MAKE YOU CUM IN YOUR PANTS, ITS THAT FUCKING AWESOME."

Seriously, of all the hype machines I've seen, that man has got to be the worst offender of them all.  Peter, brother...shut up!  Stop signing checks your games can't cash.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #1019 on: September 08, 2012, 07:33:47 am »
Sounds promising. What are flashpoints?

4 player "dungeons" that take about 60-90 minutes to run. You enter them from your fleet's space station.

Forgot earlier, there are also "Heroic" missions on the planets that are designed to be done in a group. However, like flashpoints, you can either skip them or come back when you are overlevel and run them with just your NPC companion.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg