Author Topic: Neil Macdonald's commentary on US politics is worth a look  (Read 2005 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Neil Macdonald's commentary on US politics is worth a look
« on: December 06, 2012, 06:15:43 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/04/f-rfa-macdonald-fiscal-cliff.html

America's fiscal cliff is one of those things that would be just about impossible to explain to aliens if they landed tomorrow and asked about it.

An acquaintance of mine described one of his columns as the best take on the American political dialogue he'd ever read. (I think it was this one, with the line, "Sure. And then release the flying pigs.")
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
Re: Neil Macdonald's commentary on US politics is worth a look
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »
I understand why they did it, but it was made apparently before tea party level lunacy.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:50:48 am »
John Boehner: TAXES AHH UNNAKCEPTAHBEL!

Lindsey Graham: EVILOLOLOLOLOLZ

Alien: What the fuck is wrong with you people?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:32 am »

I'd just point them in the direction of Grover Norquist.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Agni

• Bishop
  • Prōcrāstinātorum Prōcrāstinātricumque Rex
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:59:42 am »
Repubs once again do something boneheaded. Why am I not surprised?

What's worse is that I may be leaving my family's house for the real world right as we go over this cliff. Great, I'll be struggling fiscally right out of high school!

Ugh. I hope there's a solution to this.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:29:51 pm »

I like taxes, because I like functioning roads and schools, among other things.

Why do people think taxes are some evil thing?
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Agni

• Bishop
  • Prōcrāstinātorum Prōcrāstinātricumque Rex
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »
Republicans believe that they're somehow "stealing" your hard work. The GOP ascribes to a selfish idealogy where people "deserve" all the money they earn, and the thought of the government taking money from them repulses them.

In addtion, they also have that whole flawed Reaganomics economic policy where cuttig taxes will make the rich wealthier, and somehow this will trickle-down to the lower classes. It DOES make the rich wealthier...but that's it.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:47:48 pm »
Republicans believe that they're somehow "stealing" your hard work. The GOP ascribes to a selfish idealogy where people "deserve" all the money they earn, and the thought of the government taking money from them repulses them.

In addtion, they also have that whole flawed Reaganomics economic policy where cuttig taxes will make the rich wealthier, and somehow this will trickle-down to the lower classes. It DOES make the rich wealthier...but that's it.

The funny thing is that I think that notion (cutting taxes leads to higher tax revenues) can work, because the lower marginal rate encourages people to earn more, but only if the initial rate is high enough, and so there is some optimum. (Basically, at 0% there is no tax revenue, and at 100% there is no revenue because it's not worth it to anyone to earn anything, so in between there is an optimum.) Reagan's advisors, however, thought the rate at the time was above the optimum, when in fact it was below, and thus by cutting taxes they cut revenue.

Trickle-down, however, is just stupid.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:00:48 pm »

I like taxes, because I like functioning roads and schools, among other things.

Why do people think taxes are some evil thing?

Sometimes I wonder if it's because people look at the Boston Tea Party and Taxation Without Representation as history lessons about how taxes in general are bad, and not, you know, how being taxed without any input in the government is bad.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 06:19:22 pm »
The only thing Laffer added to his theoretical curve- which has been understood for centuries- was the political argument he made that revenue always curved a little south of whatever the rate was right now. As some wit once pointed out, to extent that Laffer was novel, he was wrong and to the extent he was right he was not novel.

Taxes curve at about 70%.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 06:51:06 pm »
Is it just the income tax that is the bone of contention, or is it all taxes?

I shudder to think how high a goods and services tax would have to be, but you could always go that route to generate revenue.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 07:04:15 pm »
Is it just the income tax that is the bone of contention, or is it all taxes?

I shudder to think how high a goods and services tax would have to be, but you could always go that route to generate revenue.

These guys claim it would have to be (depending on how you calculate it) 23% or 30%. (The former figure is how much of each dollar spent is tax, the latter figure is how much tax is added on to each pre-tax dollar spent.) This takes into account a yearly credit issued to each family in the amount of the tax that the poverty-line basket of goods would be charged (so that people living at the poverty line would pay no tax--there would be no exemptions from the tax to avoid manipulation of such for special interests). This would be in lieu of income and payroll taxes, and would include a repeal of the 16th Amendment coupled with a constitutional amendment banning income taxes.

They would also encourage states to abolish their income taxes and instead impose such a sales tax piggybacking on the federal one (i.e. charged on all goods and services, coupled with the poverty-line rebate).