Author Topic: Sentenced to 10 years of Church  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: Sentenced to 10 years of Church
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »
The judge may have something here: going to church is punishment.
It was when I was a kid.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »
That's how I started to view it, after a while.

Also, if he didn't want to send the kid to juvie or jail...why not send him to drug counseling?  If he was boozed up, underage I might add, then one wouldn't be stepping too far to have them attend mandatory drug counseling.  That, and considering its his friend that got killed, the poor kid probably needs grief counseling, too.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 10:41:09 pm »
Then again, Republican platforms in Oklahoma and Texas are Christian Dominions.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 10:57:53 pm »
Yeah someone might wanna inform the ACLU

Ironbite-this smacks of all sorts of violations.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 11:43:50 pm »
The worst part is that he probably won't fight it because he could be sent to prison.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 12:08:24 am »
Going to church is boring, but can you imagine 10 YEARS of MANDATORY church attendance? I'd rather punch my dick off.

I wouldn't go that far. But I get where you're coming from.

Mechataur, you have a point about it doesn't have to be a christian church. But I do want to remind you they are in Muskogee, Oklahoma. Unless I'm wrong, it sounds like one of those towns where your church choices are Episcopalian, Baptist, Lutheran, or Methodist.

Yeah, like I said, I know they are wanting him to hit a Christian church. That is why I mentioned he could try to appeal to solitude and just say he is being a Buddhist.

On the flip side, I've heard people refer to every religious institution as a church.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 07:12:08 am »
I am honestly conflicted.
First off, this is completely unconstitutional which is a huge problem in and of itself.
However, the judge is actually trying to give the kid a second chance. He has to attend rehabilitation and counseling and has to pass high school. Both of those will help that kid through life far more than jail time ever will. I feel that the judge is being quite empathic and trying to be lenient and help the boy, unfortunately he is doing that through the only worldview he knows which is a religious one.

If I was that kid, I am not sure I would bother to fight this. 10 years of church sermons beats 10 years of jail time any day. Given that he was pretty much responsible for the death of his friend, any other judge including the appeal judge would likely just hand him the 10 year jail sentence.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 11:23:32 am »
If I was that kid, I am not sure I would bother to fight this. 10 years of church sermons beats 10 years of jail time any day. Given that he was pretty much responsible for the death of his friend, any other judge including the appeal judge would likely just hand him the 10 year jail sentence.

Not necessarily. Judges have wide powers. It's possible another judge would give the kid the same chance, but without the church requirement.

What worries me is the length of time the kid has to attend church, and the impression he cannot miss. Sick? Too bad. Traveling for a job? Too bad. Out of town for a family event? Too bad.

I am also wondering how this will be verified. Does he have to get the preacher/pastor/priest/whatever to sign a slip every time he is there? What if he is there, but cannot get the slip signed? What if he goes to an out-of-town church (see above) and gets the officiant to sign it? How is the court going to verify that the person who signed is a real church leader (and not someone the kid was partying with, thinking no one would know the difference)?
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 11:41:55 am »
Let me get this straight, if you're busted for drinking in that part of OK, you get sentenced to go to church . . . where they encourage you to drink wine?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:04 am »

Not necessarily. Judges have wide powers. It's possible another judge would give the kid the same chance, but without the church requirement.

What worries me is the length of time the kid has to attend church, and the impression he cannot miss. Sick? Too bad. Traveling for a job? Too bad. Out of town for a family event? Too bad.

I am also wondering how this will be verified. Does he have to get the preacher/pastor/priest/whatever to sign a slip every time he is there? What if he is there, but cannot get the slip signed? What if he goes to an out-of-town church (see above) and gets the officiant to sign it? How is the court going to verify that the person who signed is a real church leader (and not someone the kid was partying with, thinking no one would know the difference)?
Still better then Juvie. 

Offline NonProphet

• Apprentice
  • Bowties are cool.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 05:10:13 pm »
...I guess they've never heard of the First Amendment in Oklahoma.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 08:32:30 pm »
I would say, "Home state, I am disappoint." But that would imply I expect better than this, and I sure as all fuck don't.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov