Author Topic: Crazy insurance policies!  (Read 3255 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Crazy insurance policies!
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:20:55 am »
Let's start with the world record for life insurance, at $201,000,000:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/unnamed-billionaire-buys-record-breaking-201-million-life-insurance-policy-1.2574440

An unnamed Silicon Valley billionaire has purchased the world's most valuable life insurance policy.

A Southern California financial services company who helped put the deal together declined to identify the buyer for safety reasons.

"We don't want hit men running around Palo Alto trying to find him — or members of his own estate," quipped Dovi Frances of the Santa Barbara-based SG LLC financial services company.

It's actually a bunch of policies with different firms since no one firm could afford to pay the money when the billionaire dies.

And why did he do it?

Frances said the billionaire purchased the policy to help his heirs avoid paying a 45 percent inheritance tax.

Yep, tax evasion.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Crazy insurance policies!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:14:37 pm »
No insurance company will cover Jackie Chan... for obvious reasons.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:06:15 pm »

I don't think Jackie Chan much CARES! From what I hear, he's giving most of his estate to Chinese kids charities if he bites it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:25:30 pm »
Lloyds of London would insure Chan, no prob.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:06:09 pm »

I don't think Jackie Chan much CARES! From what I hear, he's giving most of his estate to Chinese kids charities if he bites it.

He fell out of a tree and cracked his skull, I don't think he needs life insurance, he's pretty much un-killable.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:20:53 am »
Life insurance is pure scam. It's just a bank account with crappy rate of return.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:36:33 am »
Life insurance is pure scam. It's just a bank account with crappy rate of return.
Certain kinds like whole of life cover are most definitely bullshite, however vanilla life insurance (the kind that pays out only if you die before you retire) certainly has its place.

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:50:05 am »
You know, since Capitalists and conservaties as so big on people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and making their own way, why do they make such a fuss about inheritance? the people who inherit it didn't earn it.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:40 pm »
You know, since Capitalists and conservaties as so big on people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and making their own way, why do they make such a fuss about inheritance? the people who inherit it didn't earn it.

They are also against handouts and goverment help except when it is a company that needs help. Too big to fail? Fuck you bank, you should be allowed to go bankrupt because that is what happens in a capitalistic system to corporations that fail.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »

They are also against handouts and goverment help except when it is a company that needs help. Too big to fail? Fuck you bank, you should be allowed to go bankrupt because that is what happens in a capitalistic system to corporations that fail.

But what about the millionaires whose deposits aren't covered by the insurance????
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:13:24 pm »

But it was government regulations that caused (big) businesses to fail so the government owes them.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 04:33:33 pm »

But it was government regulations that caused (big) businesses to fail so the government owes them.
Of course, why the fuck didn't I think of that? Everything is the gubberment's fault!
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:30 pm »

Don't you see? The rich are always breaking their backs to earn those inheritances and public subsidies and massive political influence. We should worship their ability to work hundreds or thousands of times harder than a mere mortal. The lazy poor on the other hand are just welfare queens living large with their refrigerators and home computers and directing the upper class around like they're slaves or something.

And don't you question it!
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:09:37 pm »
This topic reminds me of these overly detailed parent permission forms I got for a school trip once.

For some reason they felt the need to tell you about all the different amounts of compensation you would get if your child lost an eye or a limb or died. And you got less if your child died than if they lost an eye.

It was just weird, because it wasn't like we were doing extreme sports or anything like that, we were only going to a castle.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 08:21:14 pm »
For some reason they felt the need to tell you about all the different amounts of compensation you would get if your child lost an eye or a limb or died. And you got less if your child died than if they lost an eye.

Wrongful death is a horrible thing for a family to go through, but I bet the extra compensation for eye injury is intended for the lifelong costs of being blind.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.