Author Topic: Putin Critic Gunned Down in Moscow  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
Putin Critic Gunned Down in Moscow
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:06:39 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/russian-opposition-leader-boris-nemtsov-reported-killed-in-moscow/2015/02/27/972e15f0-becb-11e4-b274-e5209a3bc9a9_story.html

Boris Nemtsov, a longtime Russian opposition leader and sharp critic of President Vladi­mir Putin, was shot and killed in central Moscow, the Russian Interior Ministry said early Saturday.

I would be really surprised if somehow Mr. Nemtsov was actually a victim of a random violent crime.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Putin Critic Gunned Down in Moscow
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:14:47 pm »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 02:39:24 am »
I was just about to make a thread for this.

Apparently Russian media is already blaming this on Ukraine...

...Because obviously they are the people who would want to kill a loud critic of Putin's regime and the corruption in Russian politics. Who, if I may point out, was going to a protest against the war in Ukraine and in fact made his last tweet just before his death encouraging people to join the protest!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:50:42 am »
A drive by shooting. How gangsta of you, Putin. Keepin' it classy.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:59:43 am »
I would be really surprised if somehow Mr. Nemtsov was actually a victim of a random violent crime.

It could very well be random. Representative Giffords was shot at a rally in Arizona but nobody blames that on an assassination attempt by the GOP -- even though Palin arguably gave instructions on whom to shoot:

Putin and co. encouraging this violence isn't the same as Putin directly carrying it out.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 08:07:48 pm »
Yeah, in all likelihood, it was some fanatical Putin supporter, rather than the government itself. There's certainly no shortage of those idiots in Russia.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 02:13:52 am »
The killer used a Makarov PM pistol and those are in use of the Russian military, police and government BUT it is also so damn common that the gun is no proof of who the killer was working for (if anyone.)

Really, a Makarov could be obtained by CIA or random criminals or anyone.

In other news, the Russian news are ALSO certain that the victim was an agent working for USA.

They are also 90% certain that the killers were CIA agents.

...So they think that the CIA killed their own agent (who was a traitor to all Russia and trying to weaken the great motherland from inside) because by killing (this patriotic Russian) they would harm Putin (by silencing one of the loudest critics he had.)

Makes perfect sense.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 06:35:40 pm »
HOw does Russia function?

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 06:36:28 pm »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 06:48:36 pm »
HOw does Russia function?
Better than some other countries. I mean, it was just one guy, rather than an entire school full of kids.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:31:16 am »
My money is on organized hit. If not by Putin, then equally likely the military or the Russian mafia. Lets be honest, you pretty much cant trust anyone in power in that country right now. Its like they are striving for the good old days of the cold war.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 05:34:21 am »
My money is on organized hit. If not by Putin, then equally likely the military or the Russian mafia. Lets be honest, you pretty much cant trust anyone in power in that country right now. Its like they are striving for the good old days of the cold war.
I doubt the Mafiya has a reason to kill Putin's opposition. Most likely this was done under orders from Putin. (The only other reason I could accept would be a really convoluted false-flag operation, but that seems unlikely.)

Based on the video the hit was well timed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFdS332BQg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFdS332BQg</a>

A carbage truck follows the victim and just as it drives past him (blocking the view from the only camera directed at the scene) the murder takes place (with the assassin presumably hanging off the back of the truck?) and the assassin walks away and is picked up by another car. Some even claim that the traffic lights may have been manipulated since there is a gap between the escape vehicle and other cars following it. (to prevent them from seeing the assassin well.)

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:36 am »
There are a lot more cameras around there. We'll never get to see the videos from them. It's a super high security area next to the Kremlin. It's equivalent to an assassination within yards of the Capitol or White House here. As soon as I saw that a garbage truck was the "drive by" vehicle, with an innocuous looking escape vehicle following, it clearly looked like an organized act. Hired hit men, or military ops, same result. If it wasn't ordered by Putin himself, it was ordered by a wealthy and powerful crony...not a spontaneous murder by ordinary "patriot" Putin fans.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 11:51:45 am »
Man, I miss the days of Glastnost & Peristroika.  :'(

Is it me or are there a lot of reversals of great reforms & stuff? In the 20th century, we had labor reforms, the Civil Rights Act, the end of the Cold War in the 90's and a new era of Russia being sympathetic......Suddenly, everything's now like a second Gilded Age, parts of the Civil Rights Act were repealed (and 'anti-voting' laws rife) & Russia is becoming "The USSR 2.0".

That said, I guess the reason Putin became "Dictator For Life" was due to the fact that Russia under Yeltsin was apparently even worse, economically & the Russians got a bad case of "Ancient Hebrews in the desert longing to go back to Egypt" Syndrome. I could be wrong or the facts wrong but I guess while the "Free World" was like "Yay! The Cold War's over! Russia is our friend! Glastnost! Yippie!" the Russians were like "Man! This sucks! Yeltsin is an incompetent drunken ignoramus!"....leaving them susceptible to the sweet-talk of that snake, "Ol' V-Poo".

On the upside, LGBTA rights in America's growing by leaps & bounds and Progressives are slowly waking up and doing something about it. I just have to be patient, these movements take time to "come together" and strengthen (especially without the money from Big Business). I'm not alarmed by MSNBC's drop in ratings because I realize that Progressives generally don't watch TV news, period! All TV news is stupid....plus, the suits at MSNBC have been ditching all the good anchors/commentators and they just keep Maddow (who's awesome) around just to stay afloat. MSNBC has become a corporate-shill like the rest of them. As for FAUX Noise, they're losing the younger demographics & the old ones who keep their ratings up will eventually all dance with Mr. D.

Over time, hopefully, things will change for the better.....but it will take time and Idealism must be combined with Realism. Humanity is flawed by nature and it takes a while for those of Human Nature's Good Side to put one over on Human Nature's Bad Side.

I also realize that one must apply the basics of the "Serenity Prayer" to life & activism....Accept what can't change, change what can & the wisdom to know the difference. You can't change everything in the whole world, but if you leave YOUR world better than it was when you die, you've done much!

As an American, I say that it's best to focus on changing America for the better. Should that be done, then perhaps the rest of the world will follow, since our influence is felt, for good or ill, in major & minor ways all over. Can you imagine how different the world would be if the U.S.A was like Norway or Sweden....super-Progressive & peace-loving?

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 04:20:28 pm »
The shooting was a mere football field distance from the Kremlin, an area usually monitored by closed-circuit cameras. But the business newspaper Kommersant reported Tuesday that most cameras at the scene had been taken out of service for maintenance Friday.

Okay, maybe my suspicions weren't too wild at all. I'm assuming the quote from Kommersant meant the Friday prior to the assassination. Sorry, but I can't imagine a good reason to take a whole slew of security cameras out of service and leave a big area unmonitored, thereby.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/girlfriend-of-slain-kremlin-critic-boris-nemtsov-is-in-hiding/ar-BBieZVd?ocid=U147DHP