Author Topic: The whole muslim ban debacle  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
The whole muslim ban debacle
« on: January 28, 2017, 11:46:54 pm »
Yeah, this needs its own thread. Protests are heartwarming, support for it is horrific. I'm scared for the future of our country and I'm not sure I wanna be an American anymore.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: The whole muslim ban debacle
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:07:39 am »
Well, this was the last straw to cut the guy I used to call my best friend out of my life after constantly seeing his blind obsession with Trump. So that's a thing that happened. I mean, obviously, this is nothing compared to the fact that our wonderful President decided that the Constitution doesn't apply to him, but it should paint a nice picture of just how done I am with Trump's and his supporters' bullshit.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:17:33 am »
http://fortune.com/2017/01/28/nationwide-stay-trump-executive-order-immigration/

The ban has been stayed.

http://fortune.com/2017/01/28/read-the-full-text-of-the-judges-order-blocking-trumps-immigration-ban/

Text of the order:

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 03:46:52 am »
So we're worrying about terrorists when we're a lot more likely to be killed by idiots with more bullets than sense, morons chatting on their phones when they should be watching the road, leaded water, and drivers drinking when they should be sober...

Seems to me that someone doesn't have their priorities straight.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 03:51:18 am »
And WTC attacks were used as a justification for this but the ban does not target any of the countries that the attackers came from.

EDIT: This didn't take long... https://thinkprogress.org/islamic-center-of-victoria-fire-8a683f632a7a#.a818lr8z5
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:53:08 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 04:00:23 am »
Fact: Since September 10, 2001, there have been more deaths in the US attributable to climate change than to terrorism.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 06:48:51 am »
http://nypost.com/2017/01/29/customs-agents-ignore-judge-enforce-trumps-travel-ban-aclu/

Wheeee! That's an escalation and a half!

Does this mean that the police will have to arrest the customs agents? Would that mean that the airports have to be shut down because no one can check the travelers or would it mean that everyone could go as they please as no inspections can be made in the customs office? Can the president override the judge? I don't know but I bet we are going to find out next week!

EDIT: troublemaker.com/2017/01/29/federal-judge-sends-u-s-marshals-
Dang phone https://professional-troublemaker.com/2017/01/29/federal-judge-sends-u-s-marshals-to-prevent-trump-from-enforcing-muslim-ban/
Shit just got real.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:10:13 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 10:39:15 am »
It's like he's trying to be the worst POTUS in history.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 11:10:49 am »
What? How does Bannon even have the authority to do that?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 02:20:13 pm »
Topical, especially here on the product of the old FSTDT board. From Nesrine Malik:

This did not start with Trump, it’s something that is only reaching its climax. For years, as people warned against the mainstreaming of Islamophobia, they were met with equivocation. “Islam is not a race”, “we are criticising Islam, not Muslims”, “we condemn all religion, not just Islam”. Mosques were attacked, women were spat on and had their hijabs snatched from their heads. Western media, led by the British tabloid press, established an industry of hysteria against Muslims with fake news. The niqab and its banning commanded hours of debate in European parliaments.

All the while Muslims repeatedly hit the panic button and were told that they needed to stop overreacting and being so precious. Rightwingers exploited Islamophobia to channel anti-immigration hatred, and liberalism took refuge in intellectual handwringing and posturing over prophet cartoons and freedom of speech and women’s rights, unable to ally itself with what it perceived to be a backward Muslim tradition, and failing to understand that the danger to everything the west stands for is not from Islamic extremism but from the response to it.

When Thunderf00t started posting memes like "I'll see your Jihad and raise you a Crusade" I saw it coming. When EDL thugs started co-opting atheist memes you could smell the xenophobia under the memes. When Australia's own Pauline Hanson rapidly switched gears from racist panic about Asian people to sectarian panic about Muslims the connections were plain for anyone who cared to look.

Us oh so snarky critics of religion allowed criticism of entire cultures, languages and ethnicities to sneak through under the radar. We forgot that historically, since Britain's original occupation of Ireland at least, that sectarianism and racism go hand in hand. Collectively atheist and religion-critical folks the world over gave the green light to anti Islam sentiment that allowed an actual Christofascist government in the most powerful nation state on Earth. Someone missed the forest for the trees on that one!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 03:08:30 pm »
What? How does Bannon even have the authority to do that?

Simple: https://thinkprogress.org/trump-bannon-national-security-council-a25f85f73a1f#.6pcqlhrb8 Trump is doing weird and crazy stuff like giving a lot of power to Bannon and reducing the power of actual officials who know their jobs.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 03:13:33 pm »
I can't believe there's still four years left of this. This whole week has felt like four years of bullshit. It at least takes some presidents a couple of Years to piss a large portion of the population off and cause mass protests. Trumps done it in seven days.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 03:21:01 pm »
Wonder if "Mr Trump goes to Washington" should be changed to "Mr Bannon goes to Washington" in light of who's actually running the country.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 03:29:31 pm »
I can't believe there's still four years left of this. This whole week has felt like four years of bullshit. It at least takes some presidents a couple of Years to piss a large portion of the population off and cause mass protests. Trumps done it in seven days.

There is very little chance of Trump lasting that long. The Democrats will have plenty of material to impeach him and as soon as the Republicans agree that Trump does more harm than good for them they will drop their support. (Honestly, I am kinda confused that they haven't done so already.)