Author Topic: A wonderful confluence of MAGA, racism, and anti-abortion  (Read 5475 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
A wonderful confluence of MAGA, racism, and anti-abortion
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:00:57 am »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/indigenous-march-student-mock-1.4985493

Students from a Catholic high school in Kentucky were at the March for Life, which coincided with the Indigenous Peoples March.

Many were wearing MAGA hats.

One student, with others standing around laughing and jeering, closely approached a First Nations elder, Nathan Phillips, chanting and playing a drum. They were chanting, according to Phillips, "Build that wall, build that wall."

Phillips is a Vietnam veteran who was there to hold a ceremony at Arlington honoring First Nations veterans.

"This is Indigenous lands. We're not supposed to have walls here. We never did."

Rep. Deb Haaland (D-NM), herself both First Nations and Catholic, said on Twitter, "This Veteran put his life on the line for our country. The students’ display of blatant hate, disrespect, and intolerance is a signal of how common decency has decayed under this administration. Heartbreaking."

She alleged that Pres. Trump shares some of the blame, using names such as "Pocahontas" as an insult.

"It is sad that we have a president who uses Native American women's names as racial slurs and that's an example that these kids are clearly following considering the fact that they had their 'Make America Great Again' hats on. He's really brought out the worst in people."

EDIT: To its credit, the diocese of the school in question has apologized, and the school has not ruled out even expulsion as a disciplinary measure.

Also, your reminder that the US has violated literally every treaty it made with the First Nations; that is, most of the US is on stolen land.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/25/weekinreview/the-nation-mending-a-trail-of-broken-treaties.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:03:12 am by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Re: A wonderful confluence of MAGA, racism, and anti-abortion
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 05:53:10 am »
These kids will feel so embarrassed when looking back at how shitty they were as teenagers.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:15:16 pm »
The mother of one of those young men tried to defend him by saying that it was the fault of Black Muslims that he said something like that...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 01:31:10 pm »
Hate to rain on everybody's parade, but this story seems to be bullshit.

ETA: Video removed to comply with the rules.

That kid does have a punchable face, though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:28:28 pm by Chaos Undivided »
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 02:50:07 pm »
Just going to say, Dusty's video might be a good breakdown... but posting it here technically violates forum anti-doxxing rules, as it contains a screenshot containing a phone number for the students' school.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 03:17:55 pm »
Whoops.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 03:27:02 pm »
Just going to say, Dusty's video might be a good breakdown... but posting it here technically violates forum anti-doxxing rules, as it contains a screenshot containing a phone number for the students' school.

OK. Sorry about that.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 04:05:41 pm »

OK. Sorry about that.

Having watched it, though... he makes a good point, but at the same time just wearing a MAGA hat is itself provocative. (I'd like to know when those students think America was last great.)

And there was a great campaign ad by Richard Ojeda that I didn't post here because he gave away his own phone number in it.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 05:10:25 pm »
Hate to rain on everybody's parade, but this story seems to be bullshit.

ETA: Video removed to comply with the rules.

That kid does have a punchable face, though.

Well, it's not entirely bullshit.  The MAGA kids were apparently provoked by a group of Black Jews with big mouths, who were also insulting the Native American elders (so, they were being assholes through and through).  Mr. Phillips actually walked between the two groups to try and defuse the situation, which caused the MAGA assholes to turn on him for some reason (maybe they REALLY wanted to fight with someone?).

Fact is, though, when he attempted to leave, the MAGA assholes surrounded him and prevented him from doing so.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/01/20/it-was-getting-ugly-native-american-drummer-speaks-maga-hat-wearing-teens-who-surrounded-him/?utm_term=.2ba1a59c4d37

“It was getting ugly, and I was thinking: ‘I’ve got to find myself an exit out of this situation and finish my song at the Lincoln Memorial,’ ” Phillips recalled. “I started going that way, and that guy in the hat stood in my way, and we were at an impasse. He just blocked my way and wouldn’t allow me to retreat.”

Arlen Parsa did a great rundown on this school on Twitter here, as well.  Apparently, Covington High School is almost entirely white; all the teachers are white, most of the students are white, and racism and sexism are encouraged by the higher-ups in the school faculty.  These kids are being trained to be the next generation of Bret Kavanaugh fratboy racist assholes by their parents and their high school.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 05:40:36 pm »
Dusty addressed the last point; from the video it appears Phillips could have walked away to his right. Granted the video is pretty close-in on Phillips and the kid.

EDIT: And even if the school is a shithole, and the students are becoming brainwashed Trumptards, if they didn't do anything particularly wrong, the vitriol directed at them over this incident is unwarranted.

And apparently, what Phillips was doing was essentially the equivalent of a few Christians going into an escalating situation, holding hands, and praying for peace.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:48:17 pm by dpareja »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 06:39:05 pm »
Apparently the backlash over what these idiots did was so bad, the school is thinking about expelling them.

Ironbite-so there's something else going on that's not very much apparent.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 06:46:41 pm »
Apparently the backlash over what these idiots did was so bad, the school is thinking about expelling them.

Ironbite-so there's something else going on that's not very much apparent.

There've been competing overreactions. This is one of those situations where I am actually reasonably confident the correct answer is somewhere in the middle of all the different takes.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 12:26:02 am »
They're Trumpsters. Go ahead and expel them.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 02:37:34 am »
They're Trumpsters. Go ahead and expel them.

The entire school's a Trumptard training centre.