Author Topic: Germany expands flag-burning ban  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
Germany expands flag-burning ban
« on: May 15, 2020, 11:16:41 pm »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52674809

Funny how Germany has tried so hard to not go Nazi again... and yet just can't resist restricting people's rights.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
Re: Germany expands flag-burning ban
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 11:35:58 pm »
Makes perfect sense to me.  They decided that just outlawing the burning of German flags and only German flags didn't make sense, so burning flags period is outlawed.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 12:30:02 am »
Denmark takes the opposite approach (to what Germany used to take): they only outlaw burning non-Danish flags. Burning the Danish flag is free speech, period, full stop. Burning other flags, on the other hand, potentially impacts on Danish foreign policy, which is an exclusive prerogative of the government.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 07:25:54 am »

Funny how Germany has tried so hard to not go Nazi again... and yet just can't resist restricting people's rights.

Not a fan of your insinuation that modern-day Germany is just oh-so-tempted to rip off the mask and unfurl the swastika again and that they have to physically try not to do so. No one in Germany or in any other country for that matter (with the United States as the sole exception) has the "right" to burn a national symbol in effigy. There's no "right" there to restrict.

While we're here I would just like to ask, why are you so eager to toss out the Nazi card the moment the German government does something you don't like? Like, you didn't even wait a post.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:45:00 am »
Makes perfect sense to me.  They decided that just outlawing the burning of German flags and only German flags didn't make sense, so burning flags period is outlawed.

Consistency is not that much of a virtue when what you're consistent about is a bad idea in the first place.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 01:33:08 pm »

Not a fan of your insinuation that modern-day Germany is just oh-so-tempted to rip off the mask and unfurl the swastika again and that they have to physically try not to do so. No one in Germany or in any other country for that matter (with the United States as the sole exception) has the "right" to burn a national symbol in effigy. There's no "right" there to restrict.

While we're here I would just like to ask, why are you so eager to toss out the Nazi card the moment the German government does something you don't like? Like, you didn't even wait a post.

https://constitutional.findlaw.ca/article/is-it-illegal-to-burn-the-canadian-flag/

Flag burning is protected speech in Canada.

I've also seen references to flag burning being legal in places such as Belgium, Denmark (as noted, domestic flag only), Japan (ditto), possibly Australia, possibly Ireland, possibly Romania, and sometimes Switzerland (you can burn your own Swiss flag, but you can't burn one on a government building).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:07:23 pm »
K so it's not ok to burn a flag in Germany.  Guess that's a short step to gassing people because they pray to god in a certain way.

Ironbite-you fucking moron.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 09:51:54 pm »

I was being facetious.

K so it's not ok to burn a flag in Germany.  Guess that's a short step to gassing people because they pray to god in a certain way.

Ironbite-you fucking moron.

No need to be rude.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 01:39:53 pm »
But you implying that Germany is going Nazi and is opressing people isn't rude?

False politeness while saying hateful things is just a bullshit way to try to prevent others from retaliating to your insults.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 06:35:24 pm »

False politeness while saying hateful things is just a bullshit way to try to prevent others from retaliating to your insults.

There's a difference between dark jokes about a government's authoritarian measures and calling someone a "fucking moron" over a bit of facetiousness. I don't get butthurt when people compare my president to a literal comic book supervillain, so what's the big deal?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 07:23:33 pm »
You came onto a left-leaning message board and thought you'd get a pass?

Ironbite-oh buddy...got news for you.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 10:51:31 pm »

There's a difference between dark jokes about a government's authoritarian measures and calling someone a "fucking moron" over a bit of facetiousness. I don't get butthurt when people compare my president to a literal comic book supervillain, so what's the big deal?

He's not even really our President. He VERY much belongs to Vladdy-daddy.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 08:07:20 pm »

Because being left-leaning means supporting arbitrary restrictions on freedom of expression?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 05:40:11 am »

Because being left-leaning means supporting arbitrary restrictions on freedom of expression?

You're the only one here who thinks these restrictions are arbitrary.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 05:03:02 pm »

You're the only one here who thinks these restrictions are arbitrary.

I didn't call anyone a nazi over it, but I did specifically call this a bad idea. Flag burning should be protected speech.
Σא