Author Topic: The New Korean War: Discuss it here  (Read 42267 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: The New Korean War: Discuss it here
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2013, 05:45:05 pm »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline ShadowFan-X

• Neonate
« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2013, 01:49:02 pm »
North Korea has multiple missiles in launch position. The US and South Korea have declared WATCHCON 2.
http://www.news.com.au/world-news/united-states-and-south-korean-armed-forces-placed-at-vital-alert-watchcon-2/story-fndir2ev-1226617936354

I wonder if Kim is unaware of the fact that the U.S. could squash him like a bug if he steps too far out of line.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:02 pm »
In all honesty, I don't think it'd matter if he did.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's a puppet of the military right now.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2013, 07:48:35 pm »
In all honesty, I don't think it'd matter if he did.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's a puppet of the military right now.
Of course he's a puppet; all Kim Jong-un is is an overfed, greenhorn brat who only came into power because his oldest (half) brother disgraced their already despicable family name.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:26 pm »
*sighs* So NK is doubling down? Well, if that's the case, and they do fire those missiles, well, we might not be seeing a NK much longer.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2013, 11:38:15 pm »
*sighs* So NK is doubling down? Well, if that's the case, and they do fire those missiles, well, we might not be seeing a NK much longer.

There's no "might" about it in nuclear warfare. Despite North Korea's intent to use the nuclear threat to force other nations to do their bidding, they don't seem to realize that other nations don't respond well to nukes. They've escalated this far beyond what anyone with any bit of sanity would do. Maybe they looked at the Middle East and were afraid that the US was going to spontaneously invade, but that's still not a nuclear problem. But they're escalating it into one, and the US will never use nukes unless the other side does first.

The reason the US and USSR didn't go to war was because neither side would use nuclear weapons unless the others did (or the others decided to invade in a conventional ground war). So they were angry and pointing things at each other a lot, but no actual shooting went on outside of a few isolated incidents and proxy wars. The thing is, each side was roughly equal in power. Equal enough that a nuclear shooting match would turn the world into a radioactive fireball. North Korea's only got a few nuclear ICBMs at the most, and they're probably not very reliable or long ranged. North Korea can't hit very many targets and they stand a good chance of their missiles being intercepted as soon as they cross over Japanese, South Korea, or American airspace. On the other hand, the US WILL respond to a nuclear attack with nukes of their own, and the B-2s (among other planes) can carry them. We can literally wipe out the entire upper half of the peninsula before they realize what's going on.

In short, North Korea's doing very, very stupid things. Even if they think that they're right in trying to defend themselves from American or South Korean invasion, using nuclear weapons is opening up a can of worms that they're not prepared to handle. They could have avoided problems by backing down, but now they're continuing to escalate until everyone's got their fingers on a hair trigger and all the guns are pointed at the DPRK.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Blood God Nipso

• Apprentice
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2013, 12:33:41 am »
Would the US really nuke the Korean peninsula and risk the fallout spreading to SK?

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2013, 12:59:06 am »
Would the US really nuke the Korean peninsula and risk the fallout spreading to SK?
Uhhh...do you really want an answer to that?

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2013, 01:40:15 am »
I would actually say that the US wouldn't nuke NK, by virtue of the MOAB. Besides which, allowing nuclear collateral damage to extend to South Korea and China would be a very dire blunder on our part. Besides which, it would be considered an act of mercy if we didn't, and a triumph of good sense besides.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2013, 01:51:43 am »
Nuke?  No.  Bomb it back beyond the Stone Age and into the Mesozoic?

Ironbite-yes.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2013, 02:07:23 am »

Ironbite-yes.

Didn't they try that with some other Asian country?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Blood God Nipso

• Apprentice
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2013, 03:32:52 am »
So would the US send ground troops do you guys think? Or just bomb from the air Libya style?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #222 on: April 13, 2013, 03:39:36 am »
South Korea would certainly send ground troops. That'd probably be enough.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #223 on: April 13, 2013, 04:43:04 am »

Ironbite-yes.

Didn't they try that with some other Asian country?

And Vietnam was also a learning experience in how NOT to engage in a war, especially in Asia. You'll notice that in conflicts afterward, we didn't end up with a repeat.

Not to mention that North Korea is much less likely to have untrained guerrillas supporting the regime and making hit-and-run attacks and ambushes against troops for years after the invasion finishes. The closest it'll probably come is the Worker-Peasant Red Guard, which is effectively the state-run militia. The populace mainly has fear and reliance on whatever resources the government provides to keep them in line (though they still need to use the black market to survive), and I'd be surprised if the majority of the populace really has a fanatic love for Dear Leader and the rest of his family. The sheer amount of people trying to flee the country constantly doesn't paint a good picture for their morale.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2013, 05:15:12 am »
Do we know that? You may well be right, but I'm not sure that we know all that much about Korean society.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR