Author Topic: About Obamacare  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
About Obamacare
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:43:57 pm »
My mom's boss and his wife have been in a panic recently because, according to them, Obamacare is forcing the wife to sign on to his insurance plan. This is their claim: if you (or a family member) are currently on a private insurance plan, then starting in 2013, if your job offers insurance, you have no choice but to leave your private insurer and accept your job's insurance. The two are panicking because the wife has MS and the husband's insurance has a low prescription cap, so they wouldn't be able to afford her meds.

Question: Is this true? I've done research and haven't been able to find anything like that in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, though I haven't read through the entire document. Does anyone know if there's a provision even remotely similar to this in the act, or is my mom's boss full of shit? I know he's strongly anti-Obama, but my mom is worried about this now due to an upcoming job switch and her expensive cancer meds. Any info proving or disproving this would be great.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

QueenofHearts

Re: About Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:02 pm »
Well wikipedia has no mention of this. Not to mention it does sound like something the right wing fabricated to create a panic. In spite of such, I can't offer any thing comparable to a definitive no.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:59:26 pm »
I think there would've been a lot more panic about this before hand if this was remotely true.  As it stands, this is the first I've heard of it.

(Then again, I could be wrong)

I think it may be a(n intentional) misinterpretation of how offspring up to 26 years of age remain on their parents' insurance if they don't have any of their own.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:22:41 pm »
My mom's boss and his wife have been in a panic recently because, according to them, Obamacare is forcing the wife to sign on to his insurance plan. This is their claim: if you (or a family member) are currently on a private insurance plan, then starting in 2013, if your job offers insurance, you have no choice but to leave your private insurer and accept your job's insurance. The two are panicking because the wife has MS and the husband's insurance has a low prescription cap, so they wouldn't be able to afford her meds.

Question: Is this true? I've done research and haven't been able to find anything like that in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, though I haven't read through the entire document. Does anyone know if there's a provision even remotely similar to this in the act, or is my mom's boss full of shit? I know he's strongly anti-Obama, but my mom is worried about this now due to an upcoming job switch and her expensive cancer meds. Any info proving or disproving this would be great.

They need not worry.

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/rights/grandfathered-plans/index.html

A person can keep what ever health insurance plan they have (established before March 23, 2010) and this plan will not have to meet the new requirements of "Obamacare."

Plans started after March 23, 2010 will have to meet the laws minimum requirements, but nothing in the law states that a person must go with employer provided insurance. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »
Alright, that's fairly reassuring. I think it's suspicious to begin with because such a thing wouldn't make sense for a ton of citizens in terms of practicality. Lots of retail jobs offer shitty insurance, so that would screw over many young adults who're working full-time but want to remain on their parents' insurance plan. Still odd though, since the boss insists he's been fighting with his insurance companies over this.

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:28:20 am »
Alright, that's fairly reassuring. I think it's suspicious to begin with because such a thing wouldn't make sense for a ton of citizens in terms of practicality. Lots of retail jobs offer shitty insurance, so that would screw over many young adults who're working full-time but want to remain on their parents' insurance plan. Still odd though, since the boss insists he's been fighting with his insurance companies over this.
If the wife's insurance company is the one he is fighting with over this it's possible they are just trying to screw him over. I'm sure the company would love to pass an expensive client to another insurance company.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:14 am »
If the wife's insurance company is the one he is fighting with over this it's possible they are just trying to screw him over. I'm sure the company would love to pass an expensive client to another insurance company.

Good point. Her meds are several thousand each month.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:03:43 am »
Sounds like a mix of the requirement to have insurance, and the requirement of employers over a certain size (50?) to offer insurance.  Both result in a tax if not complied with.

As has been mentioned, this misinformation is likely being pushed by an insurance company that wants to push off an expensive customer to another agency