Author Topic: Yoga, stealing your faith and body fat  (Read 4597 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Yoga, stealing your faith and body fat
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:42 pm »
Suddenly sane and rational school districts!

California judge refused on Monday to block the teaching of yoga as part of a public school's physical fitness program, rejecting parents' claims that the classes were an unconstitutional promotion of Eastern religions.

Judge John Meyer acknowledged that yoga "at its roots is religious" but added that the modern practice of yoga, despite its origins in Hindu philosophy, is deeply engrained in secular U.S. society and "is a distinctly American cultural phenomenon."

He also said the Encinitas Unified School District had developed its own version of yoga that was not religious but distinct and separate from Ashtanga yoga.

"A reasonable student would not objectively perceive that Encinitas School District yoga does advance or promote religion," he said.

While school district officials were pleased by the ruling, the lawyer for the parents said they probably will appeal.

"If yoga is a religion and has religious aspects, it doesn't belong in the public schools," said Dean Broyles, who represents Stephen and Jennifer Sedlock, whose two children opted out of yoga for physical education. "There is a consistent anti-Christian bias in these cases and a pro-Eastern or strange religion bias."[URL]

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo</a>

This is even more of a nonissue because and posters with Sanskrit and Namaste had been eliminated, positions renamed. Thus enter an additional fundie, Candy Gunther Brown:

However, the plaintiffs' expert, professor of religious studies Candy Gunther Brown, testified that yoga practice indoctrinates Hindu religious practices whether the individual knows it or not.

Brown cited research suggesting yoga practice changes the user's brain and thoughts, a sort of gateway drug to the occult, Meyer said.

The judge did not agree with her, saying, "Dr. Brown has an obvious bias and can almost be called being on a mission against yoga."
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
Re: Yoga, stealing your faith and body fat
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:48:13 pm »
That's about as close as a judge gets to calling the plaintiff a drooling idiot.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:59:53 am »
Quote from: Dean Broyles
There is a consistent anti-Christian bias in these cases

What's it like, seeing anti-christian persecution in everything? Do these people crap themselves in fear of everything not overtly christian? This is just ridiculous.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:10:45 am »
First, it's the yoga. Then, they get you into the heavier stuff, like Wicca. Before long, you're doing 3 Ozzies an hour, and when that starts not doing it for you, they get you on the Satanism. By then, you're willing to blow a man for a drop of China Cat.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:54:25 am »
Alternatively, fundamentalist Christians lose cases on both sides not because of a bias, but because they make shitty arguments.

Yeah, the hypocrisy of this pisses me off. First they want to say that it's totally not an endorsement of religion to have mandatory Bible readings or whatever & that we should all just chill out, now yoga is promoting "strange religions"?

Fuck are they even trying to gain? If they win, it means that tradition & secularization are no longer valid defenses. Christmas trees, Santa Claus, Rudolph, Frosty, say goodbye to all of that shit. This case would do more damage to the normalcy of Christian icons than the ACLU & American Atheists ever could. Pure idiocy.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 12:02:42 pm »
Personally I think yoga is a great alternative to volleyball, pull-ups, and the other tortures of the average gym class.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 01:04:10 pm »
Yoga's how, at 29, I can still nearly do a full splits... and make every other guy around cringe.  Between that, martial arts, sword work and walking, yeah, I'm still heavy, but I'm cutting down.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »
There's something suspicious about being quiet and contemplative, and not bothering other people.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 03:34:05 pm »
There's something suspicious about being quiet and contemplative, and not bothering other people.
[Fundie]"That doesn't sound very christian."[/Fundie]
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 07:09:00 pm »
Anti-Christian bias eh?  For something that promotes a healthy lifestyle and making kids physically fit eh?

Ironbite-dude...you got your ass handed to you.  Let it go before you do further damage.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 08:15:19 pm »
And, for a not-over-the-top and insane comment, they're fundies. They can't accept anything outside their own worldview. Because of that, an exercise routine, especially one with roots in another religion, from another culture, is something that's going to freak them out. What I find amazing is that fundies don't kill themselves due to living in CA. You aren't going to find a more diverse state, with more diverse cities, elsewhere. You've also got all those celebrities who, for the most part, are crazier than a bag of cats.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 08:21:29 pm »
19th century European exercise craze = Hindu religious indoctrination

wrightway

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 12:01:51 am »
Yoga is why I could do a full routine even though I'm a land whale; and had better blood pressure (until the pregnancy) than people at ideal weight. Yes, how awful to teach it to children.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 12:58:08 am »
Personally I think yoga is a great alternative to volleyball, pull-ups, and the other tortures of the average gym class.

Yeah I have to agree with this. Yoga is very low intensive and probably would be good for kids who are nominally active and perhaps a bit out of shape than other kids. It's also might be good for kids who may have fibromyalgia.

I did some yoga in the past and would like to really get back into it.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 01:55:03 am »
I dont get why its so hated.

I do half the poses just when im stretching when im getting out of bed.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.