Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice III  (Read 10904 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Worst of Social Justice III
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 05:09:03 pm »
Like you person who posted that?

Ironbite-not you niam but whoever you're quoting.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 11:03:26 pm »
How DID you know this was posted by a guy?

...yeah it was posted by a really, really cringey guy.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 03:33:10 pm »
Cause I can use my human brain meats and think things through.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 08:16:06 pm »
Kind of makes me think of an incel, really.

Chloe Bennett is free to date whoever she wants. She definitely doesn't need to date who her fans want her to date. And she does not need to apologize to you, random internet guy, for dating Logan Paul, or ANY of her fans.

...Sheesh this celebrity culture kind of starts to resemble Korean "Sasaeng".

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2019, 05:19:57 am »
That reminds me of that one "Myth of consent" meme
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-myth-of-consensual-sex

Famous girl: I do
Famous guy: I do
Some fucking random on the internet, who nobody at all asked: Well, I don't!

Wasn't there somebody you forgot to ask?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2019, 02:37:48 pm »
Yeah - and depending on certain things, those random internet nobodies can get really scary really fast.

As I alluded to with the sasaeng, some of them have taken to threatening boyband members' girlfriends, others have sent their blood with a note begging for the guy to drink it so they can be together forever, still others have engaged in some nightmarish bullying if someone gets too close to a singer or something.

There's also idol culture, which is mostly horribly ill-behaved men, which has recently included a petition to ban female idols from ever associating with men ever again "because they're supposed to be pure."

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2019, 09:47:52 pm »
We just need to stop trying to out-woke people. Terry always seemed like a good guy and it seems he follows what many feminists have suggested and tries informing men how to be better and examine themselves. Not to mention having studied anthropology for a while now in college we've been taught about the importance of rolemodels, fathers, alloparents, etc in a child's life.

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2019, 06:15:30 pm »
Now the Twitter mobs have turned on Terry Crews for... talking about the importance of having a father figure.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/03/01/deadpool-2s-terry-crews-accused-of-misogyny-after-comments-on-the-importance-of-fatherhood/

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/03/04/after-accusations-of-misogyny-brooklyn-nine-nine-actor-terry-crews-defends-himself-against-accusations-of-homophobia-from-woke-twitter/

I can't believe people are STILL falling for that shit, if you know what I mean, but here we go again.

The first article is the one that's actually about Terry Crews talking about the importance of having a father figure. From the underwhelming nature of the exposed tweets and my inability to find any other reference to this particular "controversy", I am inclined to believe that this website, that appears to be specialized in SJW-related clickbait and features all of our "favorite" lolcows... was, in fact, making a mountain out of a molehill. Shocking, I know.

The second article is the one that's actually about the Twitter mobs turning on Terry Crews. For stating that the children of single or same-sex parents are emotionally malnourished, that is. While some of you probably share this opinion, and I know many people do, you have to admit that it is decidedly more controversial and inflammatory than advertised by our new buddy Chaos Undivided.

As usual, the worst behavior seems to come from the so-called influencers that spearheaded the outrage: Nerdist "journalist" and professional shit-stirrer Rachel Heine, and Instagram model Emily Sears. Passive-aggressive insults, using other people as shields, ad hominem attacks, talking past a point by misrepresenting or outright ignoring it, the usual bad faith debating tactics. There is a bit of a catch, however, in that the article puts a lot of positive spin on Crews' tweets, and once you look past it... there are times where he really wasn't acting any better in those regards. For those who wants to play "spot the fallacy", all the relevant quotes are right there in the article.

To Crews' credit, not only did he delete the incriminating tweet for being "hurtful and poorly worded", he later issued a vague apology for his own behavior throughout the ensuing drama. Not sure how many of his most fervent opponents and defenders will display the same ability for self-reflection. It's almost as if the so-called "rational" and "socially conscious" sides are feeding each other's toxicity with their snappy hot takes, at the expense of both ideals. Oh, well, what do I know.

As silly as this one particular nontroversy really is, this trend of misrepresentation has always been a problem in SocJus threads. It personally worries me how much we tend to internalize the noxious inanity that pervades Internet culture, but if that's you folks really want... keep on with those topics, I guess.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 04:31:49 am »
Murdin is like King Arthur coming to our aid whenever the Double barrelled named one returns

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 03:28:56 am »
Now the Twitter mobs have turned on Terry Crews for... talking about the importance of having a father figure.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/03/01/deadpool-2s-terry-crews-accused-of-misogyny-after-comments-on-the-importance-of-fatherhood/

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/03/04/after-accusations-of-misogyny-brooklyn-nine-nine-actor-terry-crews-defends-himself-against-accusations-of-homophobia-from-woke-twitter/

I can't believe people are STILL falling for that shit, if you know what I mean, but here we go again.

The first article is the one that's actually about Terry Crews talking about the importance of having a father figure. From the underwhelming nature of the exposed tweets and my inability to find any other reference to this particular "controversy", I am inclined to believe that this website, that appears to be specialized in SJW-related clickbait and features all of our "favorite" lolcows... was, in fact, making a mountain out of a molehill. Shocking, I know.

The second article is the one that's actually about the Twitter mobs turning on Terry Crews. For stating that the children of single or same-sex parents are emotionally malnourished, that is. While some of you probably share this opinion, and I know many people do, you have to admit that it is decidedly more controversial and inflammatory than advertised by our new buddy Chaos Undivided.

As usual, the worst behavior seems to come from the so-called influencers that spearheaded the outrage: Nerdist "journalist" and professional shit-stirrer Rachel Heine, and Instagram model Emily Sears. Passive-aggressive insults, using other people as shields, ad hominem attacks, talking past a point by misrepresenting or outright ignoring it, the usual bad faith debating tactics. There is a bit of a catch, however, in that the article puts a lot of positive spin on Crews' tweets, and once you look past it... there are times where he really wasn't acting any better in those regards. For those who wants to play "spot the fallacy", all the relevant quotes are right there in the article.

To Crews' credit, not only did he delete the incriminating tweet for being "hurtful and poorly worded", he later issued a vague apology for his own behavior throughout the ensuing drama. Not sure how many of his most fervent opponents and defenders will display the same ability for self-reflection. It's almost as if the so-called "rational" and "socially conscious" sides are feeding each other's toxicity with their snappy hot takes, at the expense of both ideals. Oh, well, what do I know.

As silly as this one particular nontroversy really is, this trend of misrepresentation has always been a problem in SocJus threads. It personally worries me how much we tend to internalize the noxious inanity that pervades Internet culture, but if that's you folks really want... keep on with those topics, I guess.

I personally think we should keep being critical of people ostensibly on our own side in topics like this one, but I'm glad you were here to clarify that Chaos wasn't being entirely accurate. I'm just glad Crews can still take a step back, we all need that ability ourselves. Nuance is good.

What do you think CU?

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 12:28:51 pm »
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Murdin. To start, Terry's "severely malnourished" tweet was in response to this:

Quote from: rach
love is not gendered. a child will not starve with only one gender loving them

He wasn't throwing shade at single mothers or same-sex couples, he was saying that a child needs both maternal and paternal love. Neither one necessarily has to come from a literal parent.

Now, let's talk about the fallacies Terry supposedly committed. I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure what Murdin's talking about. The only thing I could find was a rather blatant play of the race card, which, taken in a vacuum, certainly doesn't make him look good. But again, context is important. I'd say it's likely he was trying to shame the people dogpiling him into backing off and being less hostile.

That being said, I'm willing to concede that he might have a point about the articles having inaccuracies.

P.S. Sorry about the short response, I'm not feeling too well right now.

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2019, 06:07:23 am »
While context can totally change the meaning of a statement, I don't see how that's the case here ; if anything, it makes it clearer that the discussion was indeed, in part, about same-sex parents. It explains how Crews went from point A to point B, but it doesn't really change what he actually said or why people were getting outraged over it. At worst, people could take his tweet out of context in order to misconstrue his intentions as homophobic, but not even the "influencers" stooped to that level.

Some left-wingers, who are not prejudiced against Jewish people in general, tend to slip into antisemitic rhetoric whenever topics like Israeli imperialism or the banking system are brought up. Does the context justify their behavior? I don't think so.

As for the fallacies... *sigh* here we go. I'm only picking one example from each "side", so this is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
  • Passive-aggressive insults: Sears' whole "toxic masculinity" tweet vs Crews calling Sears "dear" and "ma'am".
  • Using other people as shields: Shamia (by Sears) vs random black kids who grew up without paternal love.
  • Ad hominem attacks: Sears calling Crews an abusive person vs Crews accusing Gray of "speaking for black people".
  • Talking past a point by misrepresenting or outright ignoring it: Heine bringing up child-free women vs Crews' entire "conversation" with Gray, but especially his dramatic "fatherhood is not toxic".

As an aside, I am in no way endorsing callout culture. Even indulged in a bit of bothsame in order to express some of my feelings about it, and "hot take culture" in general.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2019, 12:23:41 pm »
@ white girls ask ur self how many white girls you’re friends with, then ask yourself how many women of colour you’re friends with. then, make an effort.

Who the fuck chooses their friends based on skin color?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 12:37:38 pm »
@ white girls ask ur self how many white girls you’re friends with, then ask yourself how many women of colour you’re friends with. then, make an effort.

Who the fuck chooses their friends based on skin color?

True, as far as it goes, but the post can be read as being addressed to white women who just haven't met very many non-white women, and is urging them to make an effort to meet non-white women, with whom they might then become friends.

It could have been phrased better, and the unspoken assumption is aggravating and condescending, but I don't think it's intended to be as bad as "you should choose your friends based on skin colour".
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.