Author Topic: Tony Abbott New PM of Australia  (Read 11763 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Tony Abbott New PM of Australia
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 07:46:05 pm »
Labor Party. Greens.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:48:21 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 08:01:43 pm »
"Little l" liberals = decent people. "Big L" Liberals = Tories.

The reason they're called the Liberals is that Menzies regarded himself as an old-fashioned 19th century liberal. In fact, he was a conservative.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 08:27:28 pm »
I love being on tumblr cause I follow a handful of aussies.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 08:38:11 pm »
A few thoughts:

Kevin Rudd has been a very effective Prime Minister, probably in the top three of governments in the last fifty years. Very early in his term he faced one of the most severe recessions in decades: we forget in this country exactly how serious, and it's worth going back into it. A huge proportion of Australia's superannuation industry literally went bankrupt one day. American banks that also operate here were on the very edge of literally vanishing, leaving our economy relying on a bunch of worthless bits of paper. Kevin took the very unpopular decision to do something about it, rather than ignoring the problem. He was completely successful- it cost money in the short run, but in the long run it saved probably tens of billions, not to mention hundreds of thousands of jobs. Now, this decision was unpopular, largely because the government had to spend money. He did it anyway. This was one of the most important decisions, economically, in a generation. That we have kicked him out of office for doing so is not only outrageously unfair- but, more importantly it creates a terrible lesson for the next government: don't act, because we hate you spending money, even at the cost of our jobs.

Tony Abbott hasn't really been able to give an indication of why he should be in government. All (bar one) of his major talking points are criticisms of Labor, rather than alternatives to it. That's not illegitimate, I think, but he really ought to have spent at least some time outlining an alternative policy, rather than demonstrating Labor's faults. He has not done so- to the extent that he continued to criticise Labor's approach to budgeting even after indicating he intends to basically follow it.

This neatly leads into the other thought: you're all basically idiots. When told that Labor has "great big new taxes", why didn't you look it up, try to find out whether it was true? When Tony told you Labor was the "worst government like evah" why didn't you take his view, look up what they've actually done on the internet, and come to your own conclusion? Every single one of the LNP's major talking points are obviously false. Nobody forced you to believe Tony's bullshit, you chose to. A kingdom lost for want of a five-minute google search. This is, I think, the most troubling part of this election: people are mostly gullible fools. Obviously Labor didn't sell their policy well, but it shouldn't matter. You have brains. You should be able to work stuff out by yoursef. Sadly, there is no independent institution of skepticism standing between what politicians tell us and what we believe. We basically take at their word whichever party can best dress up their claims with the nicest trim. This is troubling.

My final point: this would all be pretty much alright with a strong senate. Obviously the megaphone press is on the Tories side, not an independent accountability body- but the senate should be able to maintain oversight. Scott Ludlam, for instance, is probably the single strongest accountability body on tech issues in the country.

But, of course, we've gone with the crazy-house instead of serious policy-making. Anti-intellectualism is deeply Australian, but it's also deeply irresponsible. People are going to die because of this decision. They will die.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 08:41:31 pm »
25 Mbps? Holy hell man, I only get 2.5 down and 0.48 up. THe down is supposed to be 5, but the ISP can't do shit and the current junction box was only upgraded a couple years back to get anywhere near this speed, and the "upgrade" was literally some extra bits jury rigged to the old set-up. Before that the only options where really dial and similarly "fast" satellite.

I mean, fucking hell, I wish it could get half what you all plan to get. At this point it's a pain in the ass to try playing online games when my little brother is watching youtube videos, and naturally I can never host anything. Any substantial downloads usually take overnight to do.

Edit: I just looked back at the speed test and it's not 2.5 down, it's 2.24.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 08:52:34 pm »
We pay for 5 down, but that's so everything can work reasonably okay, and it still refuses to host all our devices.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 08:56:02 pm »
We've been having problems with the Internet at my house and every time I tried to explain the need for a new modem and router and why it was needed, the landlord would stick his fingers in his ears and go lalala. I tried explaining the need for the NBN and he did the same. Did I mention that he has said outright racist and homophobic things in front of me when he knows I'm both Aboriginal and queer?

Aside from being of Greek Orthodox ancestry, he's your typical blue-collar Aussie. That is what voted Abbott in.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 09:20:55 pm »
was Menzies a good pm (an aussie made him the leader for his mod)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 09:24:26 pm »
was Menzies a good pm (an aussie made him the leader for his mod)

You know Eisenhower? He was a lot like Eisenhower: he took up a lot of time doing no a lot, he was a (very) safe pair of hands, was extremely sentimental- but he didn't rip up all the things Labor had achieved in the brief time they were allowed office, either. We've rarely had a less bad Tory PM.

-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:58 pm »
I did know he was the only pm who wasn't kicked out. Eisenhower was a very safe president

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 10:04:13 pm »
I did know he was the only pm who wasn't kicked out. Eisenhower was a very safe president

He was also very popular, and the reason why I laugh at how the Republicans pushed through the 22nd Amendment--it didn't apply to Truman (he ended his campaign for the 1952 election early in the primaries after losing to Sen. Estes Kefauver in New Hampshire), but did apply to the popular Eisenhower, meaning that in 1960 the Republicans had to run the decidedly less popular Nixon against Kennedy.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 10:41:10 pm »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 11:05:59 pm »
Hm... "Again" and "PM" rhyming are a tad forced, but otherwise... good job, whoever did it. ;)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 06:20:14 am »
Tony Abbott's reign has started and we have:

There are now no longer cabinet ministries for:

Homelessness
Science
Climate Change
Disability Reform
Mental Health

And added cabinet ministries for:

Border protection
'ANZAC day'
Sport
AND there is now only one woman on the front bench..

And the Racial Discrimination Act has apparently been rescinded.

If anyone can confirm or deny, that'd be great.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:48 am »
Can confirm the first four, haven't heard anything on the last.

The new Indigenous Affairs Minister was born in Britain. Who says colonialism is dead?
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."