Author Topic: Employers allowed to refuse birth control insurance, says Supreme Court  (Read 13206 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
I can at least have some respect when someone does an actual filibuster and stands there talking the whole time, but if I remember right, congress has a way to filibuster without having to actually do anything.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

That seems like a weird perspective to take.

As I understand it, originally filibustering was just a loophole that people abused to delay or block legislation, which for some some reason now is considered a legitimate tactic. Now, you can argue about whether it is a good idea to allow minority parties to block legislation without sufficiently high support, but ultimately it boils down to two options: either it is or it isn't.

If allowing legislators to delay is a good idea, then why does it matter if they are speaking or not while doing so? Do we expect that only those legislators that don't tire easily and can speak at length for any amount of time are wise enough to know when to filibuster?

If allowing legislators to delay is bad idea, then why would it become good just by exertion of effort? Do we just want them to have a bad time while doing so instead of, I dunno, changing the rules so filibustering is not an option?

I can't imagine what standing up and talking for a long time on an unrelated subject really adds to the legislative process, and the only reason it's there is as a relic of the time it was an abuse of the rules. Either the filibuster is a valid tactic and so requiring that people talk through is just a pointless inconvenience, or it's not a valid tactic and should not be allowed at all.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Honestly, I think we should be rid of filibusters completely.  If you're not actually arguing your point, then sit the fuck down and let someone else have a go.  I think you should have to stay on-topic when speaking in Congress as either a Representative or a Senator.  If you veer off topic, you have 3 minutes to return to topic, or you will be hit with a taser and removed from the building for the duration of the debate.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
I propose we kick it old-school: You MAY filibuster, but get down there and start talking. OWN that filibuster, and own up to any consequences that may happen.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
I propose we kick it old-school: You MAY filibuster, but get down there and start talking. OWN that filibuster, and own up to any consequences that may happen.

I like the rule that your filibuster has to stay on topic. No attempting to derail a civil rights bill by talking about your mother's apple pie recipe.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr

I restate my question above: What exactly does the "talking for a long time" part add to the legislative process?
Σא