Author Topic: Employers allowed to refuse birth control insurance, says Supreme Court  (Read 13215 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Or a Mormon-owned company with no coffee machines...
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard

Or a Scientologist-owned company where they will fire you for seeing a psychiatrist, then shortly thereafter you suffer an "accident" and die.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast

Or a Scientologist-owned company where they will fire you for seeing a psychiatrist, then shortly thereafter you suffer an "accident" and die.

They just issue company credits instead of wages -- redeemable at the company church.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard

They just issue company credits instead of wages -- redeemable at the company church.

Reminds me of how some mining towns would pay their workers in vouchers instead of money, which were only redeemable at that town - preventing anyone from actually moving away.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
How about a Muslim company that forbids taking meds in gel capsules because they're made from pigs?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
How about a Muslim company that forbids taking meds in gel capsules because they're made from pigs?

Better yet, a Muslim-owned company where you're forced to arbitrate with Sharia law.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/

Better yet, a Muslim-owned company where you're forced to arbitrate with Sharia law.
Image how fast conservatives would do a 360 and walk away.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:55:51 am by I am lizard »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard

Image how fast conservatives would do a 180.

Despite it being functionally similar to a Christian-owned company where you're forced to arbitrate with Biblical Law.

Either would suck harder than the vacuum of space.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast

Reminds me of how some mining towns would pay their workers in vouchers instead of money, which were only redeemable at that town - preventing anyone from actually moving away.
"...I owe my soul to the company store..."

I seriously hate the whole concept, it is one step removed from slavery. I mean, the only reasons for paying with the company "money" is to gain more control over the workers. EVEN if the company would make the prices be fair and not screw over the workers (which is always a temptation) it makes it harder for the workers to move to another job and just makes lots of extra hassle for everyone.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
"...I owe my soul to the company store..."

I seriously hate the whole concept, it is one step removed from slavery. I mean, the only reasons for paying with the company "money" is to gain more control over the workers. EVEN if the company would make the prices be fair and not screw over the workers (which is always a temptation) it makes it harder for the workers to move to another job and just makes lots of extra hassle for everyone.

That particularly glaring method of not-payment fell by the wayside as the elite started realizing they could keep wages stagnant while financing the rising cost of living with credit -- redeemable with interest to the lenders. It's a more sophisticated con; sophisticated enough that many Americans are drowning in it without realizing the ruse or rationalizing it away as a "lack of personal responsibility".

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Yes, and people then have the choice to refuse to work for them, see how that works?

If you like the freedom to spend your own damn money which you've worked in return for how you want, you can just starve to death. Wages are charity. See how that works?

Personally, I want to found a corporation and then coerce my employees not to use their wages to drive to church, on the grounds that me paying for them to do so violates my religious liberty.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:11:03 am by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
America is a baffling place to me.
I just dont understand how companies pick and choose their employees medical aids with such minute detail.
Over here, the only thing a company can do with regards to medical schemes is to recommend a company supported scheme and offer to pay for that scheme before taxes as a tax reduction. They cant choose what gets supported by the scheme or what their employees can claim or not.
The companies support only extends towards choosing a single medical aid provider who still provides normal individual coverage for each employee.

I dont know how a company can be so involved in someones medical insurance. It is just strange to me. Does each company in America run their own medical aid? It must make things really confusing.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Well, fuck. So the SCOTUS is saying employers can force their individual religious mandates on employees? In a corporation like Hobby Lobby it's not the employer's responsibility to provide insurance -- it's the corporation's. Strange that employers want to be responsible as individuals here, but with liabilities they prefer to deflect responsibility to the organization as a whole (can we sue individual shareholders in a corporation yet?) They can't have it both ways.

Apparently, according to the Supreme Court, they can.

Now, a true Christian would forbid their employees from eating fish, or from wearing mixed fabrics while in the workplace. But I doubt any of these people realize that.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
How about that my corporation argues that I have a religious objection to you not giving half your wage back to me? If you don't like my First Amendment right to religious freedom, you can go find a job somewhere else. Though, of course, that will make you lazy.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Oh I can't wait for a company that's primarily controlled by Jehovah's Witnesses denying an employee life-saving medical treatment because part of the treatment involves blood transfusions, citing this case, and having it all blow up in their faces.

Ironbite-I can't wait!

I'd rather not...if only because it'd likely end up killing someone.  That, and other than Watchtower and Awake Magazines, I know of exactly zero Witness-owned companies.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if this move starts driving employees away from Hobby Lobby to one of its competitors, like Michaels.  ...Which is endlessly amusing considering Michael is the name of the archangel.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.