Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550610 times)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1065 on: August 23, 2013, 07:05:59 am »
Except not even because I've seen people who qualify as "thin" get mocked for being fat.

Yeah, forgot to mention that.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1066 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:38 am »
I'm overweight because of 1) medical problems. I can't walk right now and it's not because of my weight. My right leg doesn't seem to have any proper muscle to it and my brain isn't able to send the proper signals to get my leg to lift. 2) metabolism. Tied into 1 because I can't move very much I can't exercise much at all. I try to do simple things but you'd be surprised how little exercise you can do with only one leg that actually works. 3) depression and stress. A lot of people dismiss out of hand that mental problems can cause you to gain weight. You can also lose weight. In my case, I've gained rather than lost. And I don't even 'eat my feelings'. I eat less when I'm depressed but I still gain weight.

With that said, none of these things have been able to get me to be too big for a tub or shower.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1067 on: August 23, 2013, 04:08:30 pm »
A lot of people dismiss out of hand that mental problems can cause you to gain weight.

Likewise, many medications taken for mental health issues can causes changes in appetite and weight. Weight gain or loss is one of the most common side effects people experience when they first start taking SSRIs and SNRIs, and it's also associated with a number of anti-psychotics, mood stabilizers, and so on.

When I first started taking Effexor, I had some annoying weight fluctuations and general appetite weirdness. I recall having zero appetite and losing an entire dress size over the first few weeks, then suddenly feeling like I was constantly starving and gaining back the weight I'd lost plus an additional dress size, then going back to having no appetite, etc. before things finally stabilized and I returned to my normal size.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #1068 on: August 23, 2013, 08:51:23 pm »

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1069 on: August 24, 2013, 04:49:10 am »

Yeah, no. While there's some wiggle room for cultural differences when it comes to older teenagers, child marriages don't magically become any less abusive and traumatic just because they're the norm in another culture.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #1070 on: August 24, 2013, 04:11:54 pm »
If you've reached the point where you can't actually fit in a regular bathtub or shower, you've gone past being able to say "I have trouble losing weight due to my metabolism." This is now a serious medical problem and you're in desperate need of professional assistance.

That's when you should probably stop talking about thin privilege and start looking for a doctor.

According to TITP doctors are fat shamers.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1071 on: August 24, 2013, 07:01:55 pm »
If you've reached the point where you can't actually fit in a regular bathtub or shower, you've gone past being able to say "I have trouble losing weight due to my metabolism." This is now a serious medical problem and you're in desperate need of professional assistance.

That's when you should probably stop talking about thin privilege and start looking for a doctor.

I really hate to play Devil's Advocate here but some doctors really do believe that losing weight will cure you of certain problems.

My own doctor said 'lose about fifty pounds and your back won't hurt anymore'. Anyone care to guess why that wouldn't magically fix anything? Answer: I have scoliosis and spina bifida. Pain in the back is common no matter a person's weight for those afflictions. Yet this one doctor was really, really convinced weight loss was the key to getting rid of all my pain.

Try again, doc. And I have lost weight and guess what? The pain is still as bad as it was. If anything, I think it's actually worse. And all the doctor did was make me depressed over my weight and not being able to lose that magical fifty pound number.

But no, not all doctors are like that. But there are some who are as convinced that losing weight will cure all your ills as conspiracy theorists are convinced 9/11 was an inside job.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1072 on: August 24, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »
My mom's doctor wanted her to lose 14 pounds in one month.  The nurses quickly convinced him that this was an unreasonable number.

As it is, mom's having a hard enough time losing weight, even when eating around 1000 calories per day, avoiding as much sodium and sugar as is healthy, and exercising each day for a combined hour.  She's actually GAINING weight, too, and it doesn't seem to be muscle weight.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #1073 on: August 24, 2013, 09:46:57 pm »
One of the major problems I have with TITP is that it is poorly moderated which makes it easy to troll.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1074 on: August 24, 2013, 09:48:08 pm »
My mother was continuously gaining weight no matter how much she ate or exercised up until the fall of 2010, when she was suddenly hospitalized.

Turns out she had undiagnosed pancreatitis due to gallstones, which remained undiagnosed for ages because it required a specific scan to detect and the doctors never figured that it would be worth anything because none of their other scans could find proof that something was wrong. All that weight she was gaining? It was fluid buildup.

Also, she ended up going through surgery with a 20% chance of survival thanks to how far along the illness had progressed without treatment.

Zach, you may want your mother to get checked out. Gaining weight for no reason is never a good sign.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1075 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:34 pm »
My mother doesn't have a gallbladder because it's been removed a long time ago.  As far as fluid build-up goes, that's already a concern due to her heart, so she already limits how much fluid she intakes.

That being said, she goes to rehab three times a week, talks about it with the nurses, and they say that this is just part of the process, so maybe everything's fine.  Dunno.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1076 on: August 24, 2013, 09:51:29 pm »
My mother doesn't have a gallbladder because it's been removed a long time ago.

That being said, she goes to rehab three times a week, talks about it with the nurses, and they say that this is just part of the process, so maybe everything's fine.  Dunno.

I would still take the benefit of the doubt and recommend that she be checked more thoroughly. Again, all it may take is one specific procedure to find out that something's terribly wrong.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1077 on: August 24, 2013, 09:54:15 pm »
My mother doesn't have a gallbladder because it's been removed a long time ago.

I would still take the benefit of the doubt and recommend that she be checked more thoroughly. Again, all it may take is one specific procedure to find out that something's terribly wrong.

I appreciate your concern, but I didn't post about it so that people on the internet could diagnose her from afar.  I posted about it because I'm venting, for her sake, about how frustrating it is to try to lose weight only to gain it.  And it's not a steady increase, sometimes it goes down, too.

She's being monitored, I'm putting my faith in the doctor since he seems to actually be competent, just a little unsure of how easy it is to lose weight.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #1078 on: August 26, 2013, 09:29:53 am »

I really hate to play Devil's Advocate here but some doctors really do believe that losing weight will cure you of certain problems.

My own doctor said 'lose about fifty pounds and your back won't hurt anymore'. Anyone care to guess why that wouldn't magically fix anything? Answer: I have scoliosis and spina bifida. Pain in the back is common no matter a person's weight for those afflictions. Yet this one doctor was really, really convinced weight loss was the key to getting rid of all my pain.

Try again, doc. And I have lost weight and guess what? The pain is still as bad as it was. If anything, I think it's actually worse. And all the doctor did was make me depressed over my weight and not being able to lose that magical fifty pound number.

But no, not all doctors are like that. But there are some who are as convinced that losing weight will cure all your ills as conspiracy theorists are convinced 9/11 was an inside job.

Yeah, I would have said, to his face, "How the FUCK am I supposed to lose 50 lb with scoliosis, spina bifida, and a non-functioning leg?  The Adipose critters from Doctor Who aren't real, you know."

Also, my heart goes out to Zachski's mom.  :(  Trying to lose weight when your body won't let you does NOT sound like my idea of a good time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:31:39 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1079 on: August 26, 2013, 01:42:52 pm »
Ahaha I totally should have said that. Also, because I tend to fall a lot thanks to said non-functioning leg, having fat on certain parts of my body is a good thing to cushion those falls. So... yeah. My pain doctor always asks me if I've fallen because it can cause more pain if I fall in a certain position.

And yeah, I can't imagine being in Zach's mum's position.

&