Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550786 times)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #2220 on: January 07, 2014, 05:02:59 am »
More importantly, why the hell has that obnoxious little titbit of Tumblr Social Justice Warrior speak that is "People of Colour" somehow caught on around here?
It's an inclusive term for anyone who's not white.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2221 on: January 07, 2014, 05:15:08 am »
More importantly, why the hell has that obnoxious little titbit of Tumblr Social Justice Warrior speak that is "People of Colour" somehow caught on around here?
I know full well what it means. However, it's not only overly flowery and rather redundant, since you can just say "not white", but it's also quite silly, considering that there are plenty of non-whites around who're just as pale, if not more so, than most Europeans.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2222 on: January 07, 2014, 06:09:44 am »
I know full well what it means. However, it's not only overly flowery and rather redundant, since you can just say "not white", but it's also quite silly, considering that there are plenty of non-whites around who're just as pale, if not more so, than most Europeans.

Reminded of a tumblr rant I saw where someone ranted about Americans trying to apply American racial politics: white vs non-white, to the rest of the world, where things are much more complex. Eg: how to apply 'white' in Europe.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #2223 on: January 07, 2014, 06:57:19 am »
Reminded of a tumblr rant I saw where someone ranted about Americans trying to apply American racial politics: white vs non-white, to the rest of the world, where things are much more complex. Eg: how to apply 'white' in Europe.
Plus, PoC feeds the "us vs them" mentality, so... not a good thing. And while it may be inclusive, it also lumps together litterally hundreds of racial backgrounds and cultures, basically saying "you're not white, and that's the only thing that matters! Who cares if you're an inuit, or an australian aboriginal, or a métisse from La Réunion? What matters the most is that you're not one of the white ones!"

So... yeah. A problematic term, to say the least. Perhaps not as much in the US, I don't know, but outside of it, it feels a bit like we're approaching racism from the other side, if you get my meaning.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #2224 on: January 07, 2014, 07:11:14 am »
I dont really like the term PoC because it sounds like a euphemism.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2225 on: January 07, 2014, 09:10:00 am »
"Person of Colour" is considered borderline racist where I live. Using it here would get you some odd looks, at best.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2226 on: January 07, 2014, 09:28:47 am »
Related to the Disney princess discussion:
https://www.riemurasia.net/kuva/Disneyn-Prinsessat/135375

I reblogged that once after it had already gotten a response. Just like in the link, that person said that Brave took place in Ireland.

It's Scotland, guys. Just because someone has red hair doesn't mean that they're Irish. Or did the kilts and Highland Games not clue you in enough?

Scotland has more redheads than Ireland anyway, if I remember correctly.

Scottish-Irish confusion is annyingly common, especially amongst Americans it seems (sorry to our American board members).  Particularly when it comes to accents.  I suppose to be fair the north of Ireland has a lot of people of Scottish origin, so there will be some similarites here and there with people from that part (hence why Northern Irish accents are so different to Southern ones, and why some Irish-Americans have suspiciously Scottish sounding surnames), but they are still very distinct accents.  I bet even some of you have no idea one of the dwarves in the Hobbit movies is Irish (Northern Irish specifically) and that the actor is talking in his normal accent.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:32:42 am by Katsuro »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2227 on: January 07, 2014, 09:34:03 am »
"Person of Colour" is considered borderline racist where I live. Using it here would get you some odd looks, at best.

Yeah I'm not sure how it's any more PC than "coloured", which seems to be considered racist by most people as far as I can tell.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2228 on: January 07, 2014, 09:47:19 am »

Now that you mention it, the vast majority of people who use "people of colour" are American. I'm surprised I never noticed that before.

wrightway

« Reply #2229 on: January 07, 2014, 09:49:55 am »
It's been my experience that PoC is used by the same white cis people who will bitch at you if you don't put an asterisk after "trans". It makes them feel like special snowflakes to absolve their white, cis tumblr-guilt in this manner instead of, you know, doing actual helpful things for other communities.

wrightway

« Reply #2230 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:06 am »
erasingprivilege

Why I am not pro gay marriage

I have come under criticism lately for mentioning that I am not in favor of gay marriage.  As a homoromantic demisexual, in theory I am part of the LGBTQIA+ community and thus should be in favor of this, but I’m not.  Here’s why:

Marriage is a sexist institution and is the first form of slavery to have ever existed.  Even a marriage between two men or two women is oppressive to women.  Since I am all for intersectionality, I can’t be in support of anything that helps one group while harming another.

I do think that people who are not in heteronormative relationships should have all the same freedoms that straight people get, but I don’t think ANYONE should be allowed to marry.  If you give women a ‘choice’ to do something that is inherently unfeminist, most women will take that choice because they have been brainwashed.  This is why PiV sex, certain types of birthing and marriage should be outlawed.  Women take these choices not because they really want them but because they have been indoctrinated into unnatural heterosexuality from such an early age that they don’t even know right from wrong anymore.

I think that people should have the option to sign civil partnership documents that allow them all the same rights that marriage allows- gay or straight or what have you.  But “gay marriage” is an extremely homosexist and cissexist thing and I can’t support it.  #notsorry

I also think that Obama’s focusing on gay marriage is explicitly a cover-up to hide his transphobia, misogyny and internalized racism (He chose a fucking cishet white man as his VP and presumably created his kids through PiV, come on Obama wtf). 

Obama has used gay marriage as a vehicle with which to distract us from his shortcomings in regards to intersectionality.  For this reason I will never be in support of it.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #2231 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:16 am »
How can a marriage between two men be in any way oppressive towards women?

Even if you agree that marriage is slavery, there are no women in that marriage to be enslaved.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2232 on: January 07, 2014, 10:21:15 am »
erasingprivilege

As a homoromantic demisexual...

...Even a marriage between two men or two women is oppressive to women....

...heteronormative relationships...

...I don’t think ANYONE should be allowed to marry.  If you give women a ‘choice’ to do something that is inherently unfeminist, most women will take that choice because they have been brainwashed.  This is why PiV sex, certain types of birthing and marriage should be outlawed.  Women take these choices not because they really want them but because they have been indoctrinated into unnatural heterosexuality from such an early age that they don’t even know right from wrong anymore.

I also think that Obama’s focusing on gay marriage is explicitly a cover-up to hide his transphobia, misogyny and internalized racism.... 

Bet this person is fun at parties.

wrightway

« Reply #2233 on: January 07, 2014, 10:25:47 am »
Following the rabbit hole got me this one:

"Because mislabeling people and telling them their identity isn't real is only okay if *I* do it" award?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2234 on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:29 am »
Have to show my ignorance and ask, wtf is "cis"?