Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551380 times)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #2745 on: February 22, 2014, 12:10:56 pm »
Aah, that's good.  The whole "women can have a little power, but not too much!" thing kinda bugged the crap outta me.

Because Disney never portrays males as letting power corrupt them.  Nope.  Never happens.  Or if it does it's okay because they're guys, amirite?
You seem upset.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2746 on: February 22, 2014, 12:33:05 pm »
Also, to the "fat and bad are synonymous for Disney women", I offer my rebutal : Maleficent and the Queen from Snow White.

Not to mention that the Queen from Snow White, and in some ways Maleficent, have often been fetishized and viewed as attractive in a femme fatale sort of way. Even to the point where Maleficent not only got her own film, but is being played by Angelina Jolie.

I think there's a tiny bit of reversal, thanks to Frozen.  Elsa becomes queen, and the only real threat at the time is that she can't control her abilities.  She's not malevolent herself.  She's most definitely loved and appreciated by the end of the film.

Frozen is basically one gigantic reversal of every bad trope and stereotype Disney princess films have used over the years. Among others:

* Familial love and friendship are a "true love" just as much or more than romantic love.

* You shouldn't jump into a relationship with someone you just met the same day, and ESPECIALLY don't jump right into marriage; you don't know each other nearly well enough and they probably have some bad things hidden from you.

* Everyone is flawed and you can't just fix everything. But that's okay, and you should just try to fix the things that can be fixed and love the people that you want to love in spite of their flaws.

* You don't need a tough man to save the day. Women can do it themselves.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2747 on: February 22, 2014, 01:54:09 pm »
Aah, that's good.  The whole "women can have a little power, but not too much!" thing kinda bugged the crap outta me.

Because Disney never portrays males as letting power corrupt them.  Nope.  Never happens.  Or if it does it's okay because they're guys, amirite?
Queen Maleficent.

Coincidence?  ;)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2748 on: February 23, 2014, 12:57:43 am »
Friendly reminder that “depressed” is a mood and “depression” is an illness

Just because someone is saying they feel depressed doesn’t mean they are pretending to have depression
…no. Mental disorders are not adjectives. Saying “depressed” instead of “depression” still spreads the idea that mental illness is a mood. It still trivializes mental illness. There are much more accurate words, like sad, melancholy, etc. Why use a word that’s for a medical condition? When a person with depression says, “I have depression,” or “I’m depressed,” it means the same thing—they are suffering from a mental illness. But if a person who’s not depressed says, “I’m depressed tonight,” it’s inaccurate.
Look up “mental illness stigma” or “mental disorders are not adjectives”. Here’s a start: [link] [link] Even if you have/had depression, please understand the wider implications of using mental illnesses as adjectives.

And a quote from the article:

"The stigma surrounding mental illness is very high. Society treats mental illness like a joke. This is evident in our language, in the way we use these very real disorders to describe frivolous things. I’m guilty of it. You’re probably guilty of it. We’ve all done it before, perhaps not intentionally, but slips of the tongue happen.

We want people to take these illnesses seriously. We want people to understand the severity of a diagnosis like depression, bipolar disorder, or anorexia. We want them to realize that a panic attack isn’t simple nervousness, but a terrifying, paralyzing experience. In order for this to happen, one thing we must do is change how we talk about these things. Depression is more than a bad day. Insomnia is more than a bad night. OCD is more than being a neat and clean person.

Not only does carelessness in our word choice reduce these disorders to temporary emotional states, but think about how this makes the person struggling feel. Those struggling with mental illness already often suffer in silence. If they hear you joking about what they are struggling with, why would they confide in you? We reduce their very real struggles to a sarcastic remark…”

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2749 on: February 23, 2014, 01:41:53 am »
So quick to whine about how one fat chick in a Disney movie is an antagonist, yet they never complain about Disney's disturbing tendency to portray queens as a cadre of completely untrustworthy assholes; that if women gain any real authority and power, they become evil.  Then again, they may have reversed this trend, I dunno, I'm...not a huge fan of Disney, to be honest.  Even when I was a kid, I was largely unimpressed by them.

Admittedly, fuck the aristocracy. So there's that.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2750 on: February 23, 2014, 03:06:45 am »

Someone's a mite sensitive, ain't they?  B-Man, re-up on your Chill Pills, bro.  Been down that road, it leads to nothing but frustration...and possibly acid reflux.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #2751 on: February 23, 2014, 06:06:30 am »
Friendly reminder that “depressed” is a mood and “depression” is an illness

Just because someone is saying they feel depressed doesn’t mean they are pretending to have depression
…no. Mental disorders are not adjectives. Saying “depressed” instead of “depression” still spreads the idea that mental illness is a mood. It still trivializes mental illness. There are much more accurate words, like sad, melancholy, etc. Why use a word that’s for a medical condition? When a person with depression says, “I have depression,” or “I’m depressed,” it means the same thing—they are suffering from a mental illness. But if a person who’s not depressed says, “I’m depressed tonight,” it’s inaccurate.
Look up “mental illness stigma” or “mental disorders are not adjectives”. Here’s a start: [link] [link] Even if you have/had depression, please understand the wider implications of using mental illnesses as adjectives.

And a quote from the article:

"The stigma surrounding mental illness is very high. Society treats mental illness like a joke. This is evident in our language, in the way we use these very real disorders to describe frivolous things. I’m guilty of it. You’re probably guilty of it. We’ve all done it before, perhaps not intentionally, but slips of the tongue happen.

We want people to take these illnesses seriously. We want people to understand the severity of a diagnosis like depression, bipolar disorder, or anorexia. We want them to realize that a panic attack isn’t simple nervousness, but a terrifying, paralyzing experience. In order for this to happen, one thing we must do is change how we talk about these things. Depression is more than a bad day. Insomnia is more than a bad night. OCD is more than being a neat and clean person.

Not only does carelessness in our word choice reduce these disorders to temporary emotional states, but think about how this makes the person struggling feel. Those struggling with mental illness already often suffer in silence. If they hear you joking about what they are struggling with, why would they confide in you? We reduce their very real struggles to a sarcastic remark…”

You know what's funny?  I found the article the second OP is referring to.  The article uses an uncredited image.  I found the source of the image (the second link is a reblogged post since the original post no longer exists on the artist's blog).  And guess what? 

Also, I have received a ridiculous multitude of messages telling me that “depressed” is indeed an adjective, and an emotion. And yes, you are completely correct. People can feel depressed without being clinically diagnosed, obviously.

Although like I said before- I chose the phrase “mental disorders are not adjectives” because my intentions were more so to tell how these words should not be tossed around carelessly AS adjectives. Or at least- even though depressed is an adjective and an emotion, it still should not be tossed around or carelessly used. It is a heavy disorder, word, and emotion, and it should be treated as one.

The “i was feeling depressed yesterday” is supposed to reference those who use “depressed” to describe when they only feel bummed out. It is NOT trying to shoot down those who actually are depressed, or are feeling depressed but aren’t clinically diagnosed, even for a day. Because we are all capable of that.
(NOTE: If you go to her blog post, some of the text is hidden and needs to be highlighted.)

She contradicts the OP, and was misinterpreted by the article writer.  It's almost like you should find out about the source of the images you're using instead of just using them without credit.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #2752 on: February 23, 2014, 05:41:02 pm »
-snip-
-snip-
WhAt!

I'm assuming the author and artist are different people since they both have different names, and I can't find credit to the artist anywhere.  The reblog link I posted was found on the second page of google search.  The first page (the one most people see before leaving) was full of pinterest links that likewise didn't source, as well as uncredited tumblr reposts.  I don't know why the artist removed the image from her own blog but kept the post explaining it, but I'm assuming it's from nasty comments she might've gotten for it.  If you want to make sure it's actually hers, look at the rest of her art (link to her art tag is on her blog).  The drawing style is very similar (lots of crosshatching), and the handwriting is almost the same.

But yeah, the article your OP is quoting used an uncredited image and is saying things the artist didn't mean to say.  The article does the same the thing the OP did, conflating 'depressed' and 'depression'.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:47:09 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2753 on: February 23, 2014, 05:41:38 pm »

Seriously, you need to chill the fuck out. No one said that never happens. We were focusing on Disney's portrayal of women because that's what the past couple images have been about.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2754 on: February 23, 2014, 05:51:11 pm »
Talking about women specifically totally means we're snubbing men, clearly. ::)

Anyways, Disney has been getting better at positive portrayal of women with power. There is still the problem where women wanting attain power/have certain types of ambitions are seen as negative but that's hardly exclusive to Disney. The change from a passive Cinderella to a more active Mulan is a good one but there could always be room for improvement.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #2755 on: February 24, 2014, 10:08:52 pm »
I am sick of people thinking deodorant is optional

i’m sick of people thinking that they can judge others on a normal bodily function and that the only way they can be accepted is to wear something that is harmful/poisonous to your body. just because some men in the 1880’s decided bodily odor was no longer acceptable.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2756 on: February 25, 2014, 01:09:21 am »
I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SMELL LIKE AN OPEN ASSHOLE IN PUBLIC! FUCK YOU!!!

Seriously guys. This is one of the reasons I am scared to enter Anime and Comic shops, yet for some reason I have no problem entering used/international game shops. Film stores are also decent, but I often get sick of seeing the wall scrolls of mediocre/shit anime I do not care for in one store I have been to.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:10:54 am by Alehksunos »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2757 on: February 25, 2014, 01:15:22 am »
Well, I for one am sick of society dictating that I use toilet paper. Just because some rich old stuffy cis white heterosexual christian men from the 1430's arbitrarily decided that a nice, healthy mudbutt was no longer acceptable.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2758 on: February 25, 2014, 01:19:57 am »
I don't really give a shit if someone wants to avoid certain products if they believe they're unhealthy (even if those worries are exaggerated or outright made up in a lot of cases -- not really sure what the current consensus is on pit stick), but the freedom to have smelly armpits is so not a social justice issue.

It's the same with people harping on about tampons. If you don't want to use them, fine, but stop acting like they're an evil conspiracy by the patriarchy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:23:26 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2759 on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:19 am »
I don't really give a shit if someone wants to avoid certain products if they believe they're unhealthy (even if those worries are exaggerated or outright made up in a lot of cases -- not really sure what the current consensus is on pit stick), but the freedom to have smelly armpits is so not a social justice issue.

It's the same with people harping on about tampons. If you don't want to use them, fine, but stop acting like they're an evil conspiracy by the patriarchy.
Die clean scum.