Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549549 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #5775 on: March 15, 2015, 11:25:54 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/11/06/we-should-stop-putting-women-in-jail-for-anything/

After hunting down that article I have come to the conclusion that the title is ac clickbait that isn't just misleading, it lies about the subject and the idea is quite different and not that stupid when you get down to what they are ACTUALLY trying to do:

The goal is to stop putting non-violent criminals in PRISON and instead giving them community sentences and placing them in custodial centers near their families. Not all women. Not just women. The non-violent offenders, regardless of gender, who can be rehabilitated without confining them behind barb wires. Which, apart from bringing their family along, is not unlike what most civilized countries already do to small time criminals.

But the article concentrates on women and complains how the prisons are horrible for women because "women make up a small minority of prisoners" and the prisons are "designed for men." Fuck whoever wrote the article.

EDIT: Ok, after going to the BBC article it seems that the project IS focused on women because "women are vulnerable and victims of the society and why won't someone think of the children who are cruelly torn away from the mother just because she committed some crimes" but even then it is only focused on non-violent criminals. The women who are a danger will just be placed in the same prison with men from now on if this project is successful.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:42:19 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #5776 on: March 15, 2015, 03:04:39 pm »
While we're talking about defining "white":

I'd like to know if this person thinks non-whites (I refuse to say "POC") can be racist against other non-whites.

I wonder what they think of these:

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #5777 on: March 15, 2015, 04:45:23 pm »

If you're cis and you know it, then your genitals will surely show it!
If you're cis and you know it kill yourself!

(Just a little light humor, folks. I'm more or less cis myself.)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5778 on: March 15, 2015, 10:38:13 pm »
Damn. Now the song is an earworm. XD
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5779 on: March 16, 2015, 09:16:38 am »
@Jebusfire:  Aah, good old-fashioned Asian xenophobia.  Its not just for Americans, ya know!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5780 on: March 16, 2015, 08:16:04 pm »

A Chinese guy feels threatened that a white Irish person is perceived as just as much of a minority as him?

What is this, 1850?

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5781 on: March 16, 2015, 08:24:42 pm »

A Chinese guy feels threatened that a white Irish person is perceived as just as much of a minority as him?

What is this, 1850?

Arthur Chu needs to take a look at our last census around these parts, because he'd hate us.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5782 on: March 16, 2015, 08:39:32 pm »
I've never seen anyone who actually does this, but besides that, people who do have some good reasoning behind it. Sure, there's no explicit institutional anti-Irish racism today, but they're still the butt of oh so many jokes (remember that gingers don't have souls?) and they still faced just as much racism against them as any other race, with the possible exception of African-Americans, historically speaking.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5783 on: March 16, 2015, 09:38:36 pm »
I have met white Americans who have told me that they know what "real racism" feels like because they are of Irish descent, almost always to deny actual racism against black people, etc. If these conversations happened 150 years ago I wouldn't have disagreed with them, but the definition of "whiteness" in the USA is always evolving and changing, and right now "Irish" is considered white.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to equate anti-Irish racism to anti-Black racism. But you're still going to face more jokes if you're Irish than if you're, say, Anglo-Saxon in ancestry.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5784 on: March 16, 2015, 09:43:32 pm »
While he has a point...he's a fucking prick who can't seem to figure out trying to bring up a sexual assault that didn't happen the way he said it happened isn't going to win him any unconverted fans.  Especially when the victim of said sexual assault asks him on twitter to stop and he blocks her and keeps bringing it up.  He's an ass.  A well and truly documented ass who only got famous because he could memorize trivia and he's not even that famous.

Ironbite-such a sad little man.

Offline Jessibel

• Neonate
« Reply #5785 on: March 17, 2015, 01:10:48 am »
I have met white Americans who have told me that they know what "real racism" feels like because they are of Irish descent, almost always to deny actual racism against black people, etc. If these conversations happened 150 years ago I wouldn't have disagreed with them, but the definition of "whiteness" in the USA is always evolving and changing, and right now "Irish" is considered white.

Yeah I had an ex whose family always tried to pull the whole "we know what oppression is like because historically the Irish were indentured servants just like the blacks", completely ignoring that there is a big difference in being a servant for 7-10 years in exchange for passage across the Atlantic, and being taken from your home land, forced to give up your culture, and sold into slave labor until you die. Oh and any children you have will also be taken from you and forced into slavery.

Not to mention that aside from being the butt of a few jokes, people of Irish heritage in the US don't really have to deal with discrimination. It was never worth trying to explain to my ex' family that nobody said they were alcoholics because they were predominately of Irish stock, people said it because the three of them (one of whom was 19) would buy two big bottles of cheap rum on Friday night and it would be gone by Sunday morning.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5786 on: March 17, 2015, 08:29:39 am »

Sounds like you receive the exact amount of respect you deserve. Now show us ur tits!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5787 on: March 17, 2015, 09:26:31 am »

Yeah I had an ex whose family always tried to pull the whole "we know what oppression is like because historically the Irish were indentured servants just like the blacks", completely ignoring that there is a big difference in being a servant for 7-10 years in exchange for passage across the Atlantic, and being taken from your home land, forced to give up your culture, and sold into slave labor until you die. Oh and any children you have will also be taken from you and forced into slavery.

Not to mention that aside from being the butt of a few jokes, people of Irish heritage in the US don't really have to deal with discrimination. It was never worth trying to explain to my ex' family that nobody said they were alcoholics because they were predominately of Irish stock, people said it because the three of them (one of whom was 19) would buy two big bottles of cheap rum on Friday night and it would be gone by Sunday morning.

Actually, the Irish were enslaved too.

http://www.yale.edu/glc/tangledroots/Barbadosed.htm

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5788 on: March 17, 2015, 10:08:27 am »
Is it significant that this thread conveniently veered off into sniping "Irish Oppression" on St. Patrick's Day? Yes... I think it is...<belches green beer vapor>
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5789 on: March 17, 2015, 10:57:25 am »

So we’re not allowed to like what they don’t like and we’re not allowed to like what they like.