Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551208 times)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6345 on: June 08, 2015, 03:01:55 pm »

because it could lead to thinking that it's just a preference not to be attracted to trans people, or to POC, or to any marginalized group.

Because it is.

Despite the fact that I have never met a (non-asexual) white person who wasn't attracted to at least some non-whites, attractiveness is still an utterly subjective and personal experience.  You don't ever get to tell a person whom they have to find attractive. It's simply not your business.  And even if it was, it wouldn't matter because we don't really get to consciously decide who is and who isn't attractive for us.

Try to change the overall cultural understanding and representation of beauty, if you want to, that's a noble goal, but don't make this personal.  It just makes you seem like an authoritarian asshole.

to be fair, they are. i find this reasoning to be blatantly missing the point of the term "preference". almost as if they think that it's a fad or something. "welp, we're week 2 of june 2015, might as well stop being attracted to physically handicapped marmosets for it's time to start the transnigger love." that gets me thinking, maybe they don't even know what sexual preference even is. i'm not attracted to boys, or blacks (usually), why do they think i have to be attracted to black boys? out of fairness?
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6346 on: June 08, 2015, 09:20:54 pm »
I think the biggest problem here, in my opinion, is that if you take this "not being attracted to X is badwrong" idea to its logical end you are taking away other people's rights. If a person is not allowed to "choose" who they are attracted to are they also not allowed to reject advances from anyone? You end up in a situation where you are saying that if A wants to date (or simply have sex with) B then B is not allowed to refuse because doing so would imply that B is not attracted to A.

I mean other than that the whole idea is stupid enough already. Whether or not I consider person 24423 to be attractive or not it is still my own preference and does not matter in any way. I am not likely to consider them less of a person if I am not attracted to them or vice versa. This only becomes an issue if a) I decide to act like an asshole and go insult them because I am not attracted to them.  b) that person is attracted to me but things don't work out because I don't feel the same.

In either case, a is just one excuse why people are assholes and not limited to this issue and b is just something that happens, not all romances will work out. Anyway, a is simply part of a bigger problem (some people are assholes) and b cannot really be fixed unless we are make a law saying that people are not allowed to refuse sex... (well, maybe if we modify every single persons brain so that they think that anyone they see is beautiful. But that would again be violating their free will.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #6347 on: June 09, 2015, 10:48:57 am »
I agree with the tumblrina. To go further, I truly believe 21 year old coeds should be attracted to middle aged men.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6348 on: June 09, 2015, 08:16:01 pm »
afro-textured hair along with big exaggerated painted lips and a big fake red nose. the whole idea of circus clowns stems from racism and the mockery of black men who were slaves at the time

Clowns have red curly hair, white faces, freckles, red noses, walk funny, and wear patched, oversized clothing.  If anything, they're Irish, not black.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6349 on: June 13, 2015, 09:21:57 am »

In that case, I guess African-Americans who aren't Republican deserve to be enslaved.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6350 on: June 13, 2015, 09:56:19 am »

In that case, I guess African-Americans who aren't Republican deserve to be enslaved.

Is there more to this story than that quote because as it stands the only 'worst of' here is your comment?

If you are against feminism (as opposed to simply thinking society has progressed far enough and will continue to progress towards true equality just fine without it) then you are, on its face, against at least some of the rights feminism has managed to win. To suggest that you would support repealing those rights isn't even a hyperbolic statement when you look at 'the war on women' that the right has been quietly and not so quietly waging for years now. It's fair to lump all these rights together rather than just the subset they are currently concerned with because, frankly, if one right is at risk, eventually they all are.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6351 on: June 13, 2015, 10:15:29 am »
Hell, I'm gonna go post that Jessica Valenti tweet in Best of Social Justice right now.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6352 on: June 13, 2015, 10:23:54 am »

Is there more to this story than that quote because as it stands the only 'worst of' here is your comment?

If you are against feminism (as opposed to simply thinking society has progressed far enough and will continue to progress towards true equality just fine without it) then you are, on its face, against at least some of the rights feminism has managed to win. To suggest that you would support repealing those rights isn't even a hyperbolic statement when you look at 'the war on women' that the right has been quietly and not so quietly waging for years now. It's fair to lump all these rights together rather than just the subset they are currently concerned with because, frankly, if one right is at risk, eventually they all are.

Well, the way I see it, there are two main varieties of anti-feminist: those who actually want to scale back women's rights, and those critical of what they think feminism has become.  While I have some problems with the latter (not least of which is their tendency to conflate the various types of feminism into a single movement), they're nowhere near as bad as the former.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 10:26:29 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #6353 on: June 13, 2015, 10:32:05 am »
Mrs. Rookie and I have had several conversions about this. Growing up years, decades ago, feminism was all about getting women on an equal social standing as men. That's what Mrs. Rookie worked for. I am always happy to help that effort. She more than any cannot stand tumblrina feminism though. First whining on the computer isn't doing anything. Second that is not what we grew up with feminism being and neither one of us likes this new direction. That's not equality. I guess the good thing is its not really getting outside the tumblrverse.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6354 on: June 13, 2015, 05:58:46 pm »

People who declare themselves to be against feminism are typically not opposed to women's rights*, they just dislike the feminist movement.

The problem is that some people define feminism to be women's rights, and others to be a specific movement which does specific actions in favour of their idea of women's rights. People who use#womenagainstfeminism are almost always using the second definition, while Jessica Valenti's comment implies they are using the first. I don't know that I'd call it "worst", though, because it seems more of a misunderstanding than a deliberate equivocation.

*typically being the operative word here, of course. Some people are opposed to women's rights.
Σא

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6355 on: June 13, 2015, 10:35:21 pm »
I am guessing the "women against feminism" thing is either right wingers or people who have been given a certain look at feminism by a certain group of people, either tumblrinas or manipulative mras.

They think that feminism calls for them to cut men out of their life or even hurt them (thanks, radfem hub), and have them all become lesbian vegans with a Smash The Patriarchy / Kyriarchy idea firmly put in their head. Due to publicity given to certain kinds of people, this is the kind of image feminism is starting to get - a loud and shrill shriek of CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE and identifying as Quadragender whatevers, and using speech that is, according to people here simply letting off steam and expressing feelings, but to the outside world, resembling a hostile intention and malfeasant notions.

Essentially, Tumblr and some rather cunning MRAs are accidentally working together to poison the well.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6356 on: June 13, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »
I am guessing the "women against feminism" thing is either right wingers or people who have been given a certain look at feminism by a certain group of people, either tumblrinas or manipulative mras.

They think that feminism calls for them to cut men out of their life or even hurt them (thanks, radfem hub), and have them all become lesbian vegans with a Smash The Patriarchy / Kyriarchy idea firmly put in their head. Due to publicity given to certain kinds of people, this is the kind of image feminism is starting to get - a loud and shrill shriek of CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE and identifying as Quadragender whatevers, and using speech that is, according to people here simply letting off steam and expressing feelings, but to the outside world, resembling a hostile intention and malfeasant notions.

Essentially, Tumblr and some rather cunning MRAs are accidentally working together to poison the well.

I just wish the toxfems and redpillers would hatefuck already.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6357 on: June 14, 2015, 04:48:09 pm »

Did I mention how much I hate TERFs?

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6358 on: June 15, 2015, 12:00:21 am »
There's somebody on tumblr who's claiming that Chris Pratt's fake tan in Jurassic World qualifies as "brown face".  They've also apparently gone on about "invisible illness privilege" which I can only assume means "mental illnesses that aren't physically apparent".  I'm guessing they're comparing it to "white passing".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6359 on: June 15, 2015, 01:33:01 am »
There's somebody on tumblr who's claiming that Chris Pratt's fake tan in Jurassic World qualifies as "brown face".  They've also apparently gone on about "invisible illness privilege" which I can only assume means "mental illnesses that aren't physically apparent".  I'm guessing they're comparing it to "white passing".

If there's any privilege in having an "invisible illness," I'm sure as fuck not seeing it. If anything, it makes it worse, because people expect you to act normally since you look normal, and are even more put out when you don't because, well, you aren't normal.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.