Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551408 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6405 on: June 20, 2015, 10:45:54 pm »
Cept, it wasn't all that stupid.  Anita's said plenty of dumb shit, but that ain't much of an instance of it.  The only bone of contention is the "leap to an exclusively female lead," but given current trends in gaming, an exclusively female lead (as in, she doesn't share the spotlight with a male lead) would be a pretty big jump, from my experience.

There are two things wrong with that.

1. Anita claims she's all about equality, so this statement flies in the face of that.  You'd think she'd celebrate a game giving the option to play as a woman.  This just comes off as being sexist against men.

2. There are plenty of games with exclusively female protagonists.  Metroid, Tomb Raider, Portal, Okami, and Beyond Good and Evil just off the top of my head.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6406 on: June 20, 2015, 11:04:45 pm »
Wait. If it's sexist against men for Sarkeesian to want a game with an exclusively female protagonist*, does that mean that every single game with an exclusively male protagonist is sexist against women and thus Sarkeesian was right all along that there is a huge amount of sexism in videogames?

*I think it's dumb, certainly, but not sexist.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6407 on: June 20, 2015, 11:06:48 pm »
Wait. If it's sexist against men for Sarkeesian to want a game with an exclusively female protagonist*, does that mean that every single game with an exclusively male protagonist is sexist against women and thus Sarkeesian was right all along that there is a huge amount of sexism in videogames?

*I think it's dumb, certainly, but not sexist.

Having a game with exclusively male or female protagonists isn't necessarily sexist in itself.  Complaining about gender inclusivity without good reason, on the other hand...

In fact, let's change things around.  Imagine some guy bitching and moaning about a game giving you the option to play as a woman.  What would you think of him?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:13:55 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6408 on: June 20, 2015, 11:46:37 pm »
Without knowing why he objects, I don't know if he's being sexist or just stupid. Same as Sarkeesian.

I think Sarkeesian's point is something to the effect that there are too many games with male protagonists and some balance is needed. Or something. I don't claim to be able to read her mind, this is just a guess. Assuming that is her reasoning, I don't think it's sexist. I don't agree with it, either, but for reasons independent of sexism.
Σא

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6409 on: June 21, 2015, 12:08:08 am »
Complaining about gender inclusivity without good reason, on the other hand...

Anita's not the one making a big deal out of something trivial.

Maybe UP meant for his post to be self-demonstrating worst-of-social-justice?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #6410 on: June 21, 2015, 01:18:30 am »
I feel rather uncomfortable about mocking Anita after the crap she got.  She may have said some dumb or hyperbolic things but when someone 's gotten that level of abuse making a big deal about a tweet where she says she wanted a video game to have a female protagonist comes off as a false equivalence.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6411 on: June 21, 2015, 11:49:54 am »
I feel rather uncomfortable about mocking Anita after the crap she got.  She may have said some dumb or hyperbolic things but when someone 's gotten that level of abuse making a big deal about a tweet where she says she wanted a video game to have a female protagonist comes off as a false equivalence.

Does Anita deserve harassment?  No.  But she does deserve mockery and criticism.  Her comments at E3 basically revealed her to be Jack Thompson 2: Electric Boogaloo.  And even before that, she'd proven herself to be a liar.

Don't believe me?  Have some video evidence:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk1qmh3zHlo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk1qmh3zHlo</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRSaLZidWI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRSaLZidWI</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-69xXD734" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-69xXD734</a>

She's also a thief, stealing footage and artwork for use in her video series:

http://victorsopinion.blogspot.com/2013/07/anitas-sources.html

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6412 on: June 21, 2015, 02:12:22 pm »
You really want A.S. to become irrelevant and forgotten, UP? Then quit posting so much shit about her. You and all the other people who obsess about her just keep her video and blogs views up in the stratosphere. Find some other webtard celebrity to squeeze one out to...
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6413 on: June 21, 2015, 03:45:46 pm »
You really want A.S. to become irrelevant and forgotten, UP? Then quit posting so much shit about her. You and all the other people who obsess about her just keep her video and blogs views up in the stratosphere. Find some other webtard celebrity to squeeze one out to...

I guess you have a point.  But here's my question: what about her admirers and supporters?  Don't they bear some of the responsibility?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6414 on: June 21, 2015, 04:37:22 pm »
No. People are free to like and admire whatever they want.

You cannot tell them not to admire A.S. any more than they can tell you not to like Doom.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6415 on: June 21, 2015, 05:36:40 pm »
You want her to go away?  Stop retweeting her, pointing out when she drops a video, or just does anything.  She craves this attention.  Best way to ignore her is to literally ignore her.  Don't argue with her, don't debate her, just drop her.  She wouldn't even have the following she has if you people didn't get so fucking hot under the collar when she pointed out that your little hobby has issues that every other form of media has.

Ironbite-and no, her fans don't have any responsibility to not watch her shit. 

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6416 on: June 21, 2015, 05:44:50 pm »
You want her to go away?  Stop retweeting her, pointing out when she drops a video, or just does anything.  She craves this attention.  Best way to ignore her is to literally ignore her.  Don't argue with her, don't debate her, just drop her.  She wouldn't even have the following she has if you people didn't get so fucking hot under the collar when she pointed out that your little hobby has issues that every other form of media has.

But they do put her on a pedestal.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6417 on: June 21, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

But they do put her on a pedestal.
So? I know people who put Stephanie Meyer on a pedestal, but I'm capable of leaving them be. We get that you hate Anita. You've said your piece. Nobody cares.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6418 on: June 21, 2015, 06:05:28 pm »
For fuck's sake, people, are you still on about this shit? You were having the same arguments when I had to leave, all the way back in February. Drop the gods bedamned subject, UP. Please.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6419 on: June 21, 2015, 06:06:12 pm »
Okay, let's talk about this somewhere else.

Back to the subject at hand, idiots praising Robert Mugabe's anti-white policies.

https://archive.is/PqBUp