Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550395 times)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6525 on: July 07, 2015, 08:14:43 pm »
I would tell you you're full of so much shit that you would make a fucking toilet blush.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6526 on: July 07, 2015, 09:19:01 pm »
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

That American flag has 51 stars, and I'm not sure if that's because the artist was too lazy to check their work or it's part of the point they're making.
Σא

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #6527 on: July 07, 2015, 10:02:23 pm »
"Oh, they wear something that slightly resembles a skirt?  They must be a transwoman, men can't wear skirts!"

*plays bagpipes*
(click to show/hide)
Barbarians please go and stay gone. Our skirts are clearly better.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6528 on: July 07, 2015, 10:49:25 pm »

Crab mentality in action.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6529 on: July 07, 2015, 11:38:21 pm »
I don't even. Horseshoe theory so strong.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #6530 on: July 08, 2015, 12:39:40 pm »
What is gaslighting?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6531 on: July 08, 2015, 12:43:02 pm »
What is gaslighting?

Gaslighting is deliberately trying to drive someone mad by altering their environment without their knowledge, then denying it; or in a more general sense, by denying someone's perceptions of reality causing confusion, anguish, and paranoia.  Social Justice types, both good and bad, often use the term to describe attempts at delegitimizing somebody's grievances.  For example, if a woman brings up something that she perceives as sexism and someone responds that it’s really not that big a deal, or that she’s overreacting, or that she’s just being silly, or that it was just a joke or similar, that is interpreted (rightly or wrongly) as “gaslighting.”
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:47:04 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #6532 on: July 08, 2015, 12:44:50 pm »
So like the gardening method. Ok. But is that a real thing people do to each other?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6533 on: July 08, 2015, 12:55:48 pm »
So like the gardening method. Ok. But is that a real thing people do to each other?

Yes.  It's a common tactic domestic abusers use to control their victims.  It's also a favored technique of cults.  The Manson Family did it as a terror tactic in preparation for the race war they thought was right around the corner.  And the Stasi used it to psychologically torture suspected dissenters.

But I think they mean "gaslighting" in the Social Justice context, where it's used to describe an attempt to make people believe that legitimate grievances are in fact not by repeatedly stating that the person raising the concern is overreacting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:57:34 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #6534 on: July 08, 2015, 01:01:26 pm »
That makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6535 on: July 08, 2015, 01:29:37 pm »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6536 on: July 08, 2015, 02:13:44 pm »
And now radflakes have an actual death on their hands:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/civil-servant-commits-suicide-after-facebook-accusations-of-racism/

That article may have glossed over details I'm unaware of but it sounds like he never made a public apology about the alleged incident. If there's something people should learn in communications class, it's that you sometimes have to swallow your pride and apologize over a perceived slight instead of doubling down. It's unfortunate that he ended up committing suicide but he kept on doubling down and escalating what otherwise may have been a manageable situation.

Blaming this on radflakes reminds me of Bill O'Reilly blaming the recent high-profile murder in San Francisco on Obama. I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion in any way other than desperation to pin something on a group you have a vendetta against.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6537 on: July 08, 2015, 04:35:12 pm »
And now radflakes have an actual death on their hands:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/civil-servant-commits-suicide-after-facebook-accusations-of-racism/

That article may have glossed over details I'm unaware of but it sounds like he never made a public apology about the alleged incident. If there's something people should learn in communications class, it's that you sometimes have to swallow your pride and apologize over a perceived slight instead of doubling down. It's unfortunate that he ended up committing suicide but he kept on doubling down and escalating what otherwise may have been a manageable situation.

Blaming this on radflakes reminds me of Bill O'Reilly blaming the recent high-profile murder in San Francisco on Obama. I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion in any way other than desperation to pin something on a group you have a vendetta against.

Wait, are you saying it was his fault?

And I'd say this is a pretty clear-cut case of exactly that happening.  Some radflake gets offended and starts a smear campaign, leading him to commit suicide.  Really, this reminds me of homophobes cyberbullying gay people and driving them to suicide.

Besides, he was an older guy who didn't keep up with internet culture, and from suicide note he emphasized how he had fought against racism his entire life.

I'd assume he was a decent person, and had made the "label" of anti-racist an essential part of his identity.  Then he got attacked for being "racist" by a new internet phenomenon that doesn't care even the slightest bit about such things as "evidence", and he thought their allegations had actual validity because of inexperience with them, and took them as valid attacks on what he considered a core of his identity.

The woman's passive-aggressive non-apology was just the icing on the cake.

For years I have experienced discrimination in Israel. On the only occasion in which I told my story a man was hurt. There is no one more sorry than me. If I could (go back), I would have remained silent this time as well.

Assuming the translation accurately captures what she meant, "I would have remained silent this time as well" implies that her not saying anything would have been yet another chapter in the story of brave black women being silenced in order to keep the white (or white-ish) man happy.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:43:56 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6538 on: July 08, 2015, 04:53:35 pm »
You're stretching pretty far on this one, UP.

Having to deal with the consequences of your actions online isn't always the same thing as cyberbullying. It sounds like a shitty situation to be in and it's unfortunate that he committed suicide but I'm not buying your convenient little black-and-white story that the feminazis had him on a hit-list and launched a coordinated attack.

For years I have experienced discrimination in Israel. On the only occasion in which I told my story a man was hurt. There is no one more sorry than me. If I could (go back), I would have remained silent this time as well.

Assuming the translation accurately captures what she meant, "I would have remained silent this time as well" implies that her not saying anything would have been yet another chapter in the story of brave black women being silenced in order to keep the white (or white-ish) man happy.

If that sounds like a notpology to you, you should look at social justice from the point of view of a minority and not a privileged accelerant. It's always easier to keep silent and not start conflicts with more powerful people than you.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6539 on: July 08, 2015, 05:15:04 pm »
You're stretching pretty far on this one, UP.

Having to deal with the consequences of your actions online isn't always the same thing as cyberbullying.

What are you talking about?  There's no hard evidence that Mr. Ronis actually did anything wrong.

It sounds like a shitty situation to be in and it's unfortunate that he committed suicide but I'm not buying your convenient little black-and-white story that the feminazis had him on a hit-list and launched a coordinated attack.

I never said that was what happened.  Sorry if I wasn't clearer.  I don't think it was a "coordinated attack", I think it was a combination of radflakes using it as an opportunity to "smash the kyriarchy", regular people caught up in a frenzy of outrage, bystanders afraid to speak up, and typical yellow journalism from a news media looking to sell a story.

If that sounds like a notpology to you, you should look at social justice from the point of view of a minority and not a privileged accelerant. It's always easier to keep silent and not start conflicts with more powerful people than you.

Except she did start a conflict.  And in that light, her "apology" sound like she's making his suicide out to be just another part of the kyriarchy.  I really hope I'm wrong about that, because if I'm not...