Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551183 times)

Even Then

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6855 on: September 03, 2015, 04:50:46 am »
Fair. To my knowledge, there are at least some nonwhite characters in the earlier games so it's not like the entire series is White Supremacist Fantasyland.

But I still think that homogeny in fiction is creatively lazy (unless it serves a narrative point). However, as I said to someone else I had this conversation with, I don't want to instate minimum quotas of diversity or anything (hell, Okami's one of my favourite games and it's pretty damn homogenic). It's not "you need to include X minorities or you're racist", it's "it's fiction, it can be anything you want, why are you making it so homogenic".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6856 on: September 03, 2015, 06:56:28 am »
And here's their "evidence":

Fucking lighting, how does it work?

And are you seriously citing a Tumblr blog?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6857 on: September 03, 2015, 07:56:47 am »
^ I cannot believe you resisted the urge to say; "And then everything changed when the white people attacked."

Then again, that Avatar meme is getting pretty old.

"On that day, people of colour realized that safety was a pen, people of colour...the cattle."

Thus making white people man-eating giants.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6858 on: September 03, 2015, 08:32:06 am »
^ I cannot believe you resisted the urge to say; "And then everything changed when the white people attacked."

"On that day, people of colour realized that safety was a pen, people of colour...the cattle."

Thus making white people man-eating giants. Maybe.

Sorry.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6859 on: September 03, 2015, 08:56:36 am »
Oh my god, I found the pride-flags-for-us master list of orientations and genders, which are six and ninteen pages long respectively. I suggest listening to this while scrolling.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6860 on: September 03, 2015, 09:48:49 am »
That compares to the list of Inuit words describing different types of snow. Except not useful.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6861 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:59 pm »

You'd think so, but I saw it used twice today (not counting this).
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6862 on: September 03, 2015, 01:38:40 pm »

You'd think so, but I saw it used twice today (not counting this).

Some people have claimed that this joke has gone for too long and has become too predictable, but then everything changed when the Fire nation attacked...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6863 on: September 03, 2015, 03:17:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

It's really nice that modern goalposts have wheels on them to move them around more easily.  Could you image how hard it would be if they had to dig them up to move them each time?!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6864 on: September 04, 2015, 03:02:19 pm »
Um...9% is almost 1/10.

For comparison, that would be like having a game set in the modern USA, but with no black people anywhere.  Black people are 1/10 of the US population; to make it so that even the extras include zero black people sends a message, and not a very good one.  (And that's without getting into the growing Latino population, Asian-Americans of various ethnicities, or the 4 million Native Americans still here.)

1 or 2 extras of differing ethnicities programmed in would honestly make games like that look a lot more realistic, and wouldn't take any more time or work than making one of the white extras that's already in the game.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6865 on: September 04, 2015, 03:24:06 pm »
Um...9% is almost 1/10.

For comparison, that would be like having a game set in the modern USA, but with no black people anywhere.  Black people are 1/10 of the US population; to make it so that even the extras include zero black people sends a message, and not a very good one.  (And that's without getting into the growing Latino population, Asian-Americans of various ethnicities, or the 4 million Native Americans still here.)

1 or 2 extras of differing ethnicities programmed in would honestly make games like that look a lot more realistic, and wouldn't take any more time or work than making one of the white extras that's already in the game.

And most of that 9% was made up of Jews.  Most Polish Jews look basically white to me.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6866 on: September 04, 2015, 03:28:39 pm »
Honestly the descriptor of "white" is kind of useless anyway. A Swede and a Greek look about as alike as an Indian and a Chinese man, but they're both put under this umbrella of "white", along with Armenians, Spaniards, Scotsmen, and Italians - but not Turks for some reason, and not Roma for some reason. So I have to ask... just what is "white"?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6867 on: September 04, 2015, 03:46:54 pm »
Honestly the descriptor of "white" is kind of useless anyway. A Swede and a Greek look about as alike as an Indian and a Chinese man, but they're both put under this umbrella of "white", along with Armenians, Spaniards, Scotsmen, and Italians - but not Turks for some reason, and not Roma for some reason. So I have to ask... just what is "white"?

I have no clue.  Other than people from the "right" parts of France, Germany, Scandinavia and the British Isles, it seems like nobody is unambiguously white.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6868 on: September 04, 2015, 06:19:29 pm »

1.  Adrian Peterson is still playing for the Minnesota Vikings.

2.  Ray Rice is eligible to play.

3.  Aaron Hernandez committed first-degree murder.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6869 on: September 04, 2015, 06:45:40 pm »
4. Roger Goodell didn't like the verdict.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.