Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551007 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7365 on: October 25, 2015, 12:42:13 am »
Tumblr is a shithole. Hell 4chan is better than tumblr, imo.
It's bad, but I don't think Tumblr ever egged someone on a shooting spree.

Did that actually happen?  I thought it turned out to be a hoax.
Huh? I didn't hear about that.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7366 on: October 25, 2015, 12:45:10 am »
Yeah the post times did not work out to match with egging on the shooting.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7367 on: October 25, 2015, 08:48:04 am »
horseshoe theory in action... i swear, it's scarier because those bullies are underage. i'd never've been caught dead saying anything meaner than putdowns on the internet when i was a teen (even now) and you've got kids who with sociopathic glee target a person with mental problems and in an abusive relationship to the point of suicide? geez, kick the dog, much?!
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7368 on: October 25, 2015, 11:33:54 am »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7369 on: October 25, 2015, 11:52:52 am »
ok, ultie, i read it three times and i still don't get it. which one is saying that mary-sues are bad and which one is for mary sues? and how is being the hero of your story a)the same as being a mary-sue (often, not always), and b) how is it a radical act?

last time i wrote a story, i was a mediocre electrician in a post-apocalyptic world who was an expert climber, so he always had to redo the ceiling's electric circuits. he had a knack for dodging and parrying attacks, but could not hit anything. it's easy to create a good protagonist without going into mary-sueism, but i fail to see how it's a radical act. hell, it was mostly wish-fulfilment in my case, because i can't understand electricity. and that was the point of the story. mary-sueism is wish fulfilment taken to its extreme, and it gets boring for the reader, but it's the best thing ever for an amateur writer self-insert.

that's the reason superman sucks kryptonian donkey balls.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7370 on: October 25, 2015, 11:58:09 am »
The first one is a complaint about Mary Sues that says that rather than making a "perfect" self insert you should making characters that aren't "perfect."

The second one is defending Mary Sues because they are defending self insert characters.

Neither one of them is defending the annoying "perfect" Mary Sue that everyone loves and who is always "right" because they share the views of the writer. (which in my mind is really annoying and makes the story unlikeable.)

I don't even mind self inserts if they are done well and aren't annoying and I agree with the latter writer that putting a self insert into a story you write might be good for a teenager. ...It might not improve the story but not every story needs to be perfect anyway.

And for the record: not every character that is a self insert is a Mary Sue (at least with the definition that I am using.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #7371 on: October 25, 2015, 01:42:19 pm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #7372 on: October 25, 2015, 01:50:15 pm »
*headdesks*
Seriously? FFS. Prostate cancer is a hallmark of privilege. Deal with it.

Isn't movember dealing with it, by raising money to help treat and prevent it? Fucking hell. Just... seriously fuck you opinion writer. Fuck you.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7373 on: October 25, 2015, 02:25:43 pm »
*headdesks*
Seriously? FFS. Prostate cancer is a hallmark of privilege. Deal with it.

Isn't movember dealing with it, by raising money to help treat and prevent it? Fucking hell. Just... seriously fuck you opinion writer. Fuck you.

it's like saying that because a short life expectancy is commonplace in the world, cancer is a 1st world problem. a) no it's not. b) it's callous. c) it's fractally wrong.

the "people have it worse" fallacy strikes again. also, what if a guy wants to grow a beard? or show some friggin' compassion? something this author clearly has no idea that the notion even exists.

reverse it for breast-cancer awareness, and you'd hear about misogyny from every shrub. this isn't even misandry. it's misanthropy. besides, if i had the funds, i'd rather donate to cancer research than to some get-rich-quick scheme hiding behind "give to oppressed women" or some other vague buzzword filled cause. at least with cancer research it benefits humanity as a whole, 1st or 3rd world (well, not in the case of prostate cancer, but my point still stands).

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7374 on: October 25, 2015, 02:31:26 pm »
That post really clonks my bonkers.

Even Then

« Reply #7375 on: October 25, 2015, 05:06:23 pm »
Yeah, people with prostrate cancer have so much privilege.  Like... dying! And... living in constant fear of a remission!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7376 on: October 25, 2015, 05:09:46 pm »
Yeah, people with prostrate cancer have so much privilege.  Like... dying! And... living in constant fear of a remission!

isn't remission when the cancer abates?

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #7377 on: October 25, 2015, 05:12:03 pm »
I think the word he meant was "recurrence."
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Even Then

« Reply #7378 on: October 25, 2015, 05:41:09 pm »
Yes, that ^^;

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7379 on: October 26, 2015, 10:24:24 am »
A dear elderly friend of mine was just diagnosed with stage 3 prostate cancer. He's 87. He's toast. Fucking hell it makes me wanna slap a certain internet bitch.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.