Author Topic: Animal Breeders vs Rescue  (Read 1840 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Animal Breeders vs Rescue
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:52:06 am »
This is a issue that people feel passionately about. I'm thinking this might be a good place to talk about this rather than take up too much more of Things People Say on the Internet.

With that in mind, there are many many issues to pet overpopulation. You cannot realistically point the finger at any one segment and say this here is the problem, if we can fix this we'd have the problem taken care of. I'm talking about breeders, about the buying public, about rescues. All need to work together to reduce the pet population.

Rescue is a wonderful thing, if it's for you. But it isn't for anyone. I have a bunch of kids and they're pretty young. I believe a puppy would suit me best as then the puppy would grow up knowing nothing other than a loud house and getting loved up the way only a 4 year old girl can love up a puppy. I know breed characteristics don't promise a bullet proof temperament, but it sure stacks the deck in my favor.

I really enjoy hunting. A mutt  (the non pc word for mixed breed) would be good for walking in the woods with me. But I haven't seen too many with the stylish points of my Andy-Dog. Do I need a hunting dog? Of course not. I don't really need a smart phone either though.

I have a bunch of kids and they're young. I've been turned down by several rescue groups for that. I live in the city. That's been turned down by rescue groups for that. I don't really like certain breeds. Nothing against them, just don't care for them. And then there's BSL crap issues I might have to deal with.

Did you know animal rescues are completely unregulated? Anyone can call themselves a rescue provided they filled some paperwork. It's really that Radu. I'm not knocking rescuing or groups. They do good. But they aren't for everyone.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Animal Breeders vs Rescue
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 01:07:56 am »
Have you tried your local animal shelters??

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 01:21:45 am »
Sure have. All 26 Maryland counties plus the State's. Not a fan of pitties or look alikes. That's one of the breeds from above that just don't do it for me. I like hounds. No, that's not true. I love them. But it wouldn't be fair for a hound to live in the city. Not fair to the neighbors either. Plus my household isn't ready for a hound. Shepherd and husky prominent don't quiet have a harder temperament than I think we're ready for. The biggest reason is lack of pups. Apparently rescue groups come in and adopt up the pups for their rescues. I'm not moving off of it has to be a puppy for the next 9.5 years. After that, I'd love to take in an older dog.

ETA: In my situation and my situation only, a rescued older dog is a larger roll of the dice for my family and quite frankly not worth the risk. At the end of the day, the kids come first. Andy is a member of the family, sort of. He's below the kids and he knows it. Which is good because the 2yos haven't really developed a command voice yet. And the infant, he's no good at establishing pack alpha attitudes or mentality.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 01:29:04 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 01:41:19 am »
The fact is, breeders are an issue because they go directly against the effort we're putting into lowering the rate of euthanasia due to overcrowded shelters. No, they're not all puppy mill horror fests, but that doesn't mean they're not a problem. In addition, plenty of animals have extreme medical problems due to breeder practices.

So breeders are the problem and not the assholes who dump their pets into shelters or don't bother to get them fixed?

You might as well say Purina is a problem because they sell affordable dog food which means more people can buy a dog.

Well, that's putting words in my mouth. Did I say that breeders are the ultimate source of all issues ever? No. There are many problems that result in the overcrowding of shelters. People who dump animals or don't spay/neuter are a major problem, and there's currently not a good way to combat this because there are very few (if any) related laws in place. However, breeders are also a problem because many don't work with their customers to determine whether they will be a good fit for the adopted animal. This results in customers who buy animals due to appearance and perceived characteristics (huskies are common here), but wind up with an animal they cannot handle due to temperament or energy level. This leads to animals being dumped in shelters or abandoned. Breeders and owners are both at fault, here. It is a breeder's responsibility to help place animals appropriately to prevent this, and it is the customer's responsibility to do their research and not buy an animal for such trivial reasons.

Figured I would bring this from the other thread instead of continuing it there.

As much as I like the idea of adopting a rescue animal, it is not for me. For starters, I have had chow chows my whole life, and they are the only breed I want as a pet. Sadly they dont often appear in shelters because people who own chow chows seem to look after them. However the breeder I went to to get my new puppies, made sure that I understood chows and was an excellent home for her puppies. Both previous breeders I have been to went through the effort to meet me as an individual first to evaluate if I was a good match for their dogs before allowing me to adopt. Lastly, I believe in responsible pet ownership, so although I would have loved to have puppies of my own, I have had both neutered.

It really all depends on the person. Too many people dont understand the commitment a dog entails, and there are also a lot of dubious breeders who are just in it for a fast buck.

There is no single solution to the problem. All we can really do is try and help out rescue shelters when possible, and encourage people to do their research, and be responsible.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 03:01:01 pm »
I hear you about the the problem with shelters having pittie type dogs up the wazoo. I have no problem with them, I just prefer small dogs myself(I have an Bichon), and they seem to get grabbed up real fast. Not sure if you've tried any out of state rescues, not sure if you would have any better luck with them, but my bro in law and sister got their younger dog through this one in Tennessee, and they got a response right away(though they don't have any kids, like you do). I overall,  have no problem with Breeders, as long as you're able to see the environment they come from first hand, given the worse thing you can do is get a pet store puppy, which more or less likely has come from some puppy-mill with some shittastic conditions.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:09:47 pm by nickiknack »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 04:54:55 pm »
People's irresponsible behavior is what drives this issue. People are often very appearance-oriented when it comes to animals, so if they are unable to find the look/style they'd prefer after viewing shelter animals (if they even do that), they will simply head to a breeder to get exactly what they want. Here, an irresponsible breeder will give the customer exactly what they want without any additional screening, and we have the beginning of a disaster. Perhaps the owner will be mindful enough to realize their new dog is a living creature that requires care, and they'll work to provide that care. However, if the owner bought the animal purely for looks, what's more likely is they will get rid of the animal whenever it becomes too much of a "nuisance." And so the poor dog is dumped somewhere else, and the cycle continues. Both parties are in the wrong with their actions here - the breeder carelessly pawning dogs off for profit, and the owner being negligent with the dog they just had to have.

Far too many people get their dogs from breeders. Yes, there are legitimate reasons that you may require a certain type of dog (allergies, for instance), but plenty of people do it for insignificant reasons. As I stated above, appearance is a common one. I find this extremely sad because appearance should not play a huge role in choosing an animal to add to your family. If you’re superficial enough to reject shelter dogs in favor of purebreds because you want to maintain a certain look, then you probably should not have a dog at all.

Another common issue is the assumption that a purebred dog will have the owner’s desired traits due to the breed’s temperament, making purebreds less of a gamble. This is rather silly because valued traits like loyalty or friendliness are not exclusive to purebred dogs, and it's unwise to assume those traits are guaranteed simply because of breed. Both genetics and environment play a role in their development, so breed does not guarantee much in terms of personality. Additionally, good shelters are happy to help you find the personality you’re looking for in a dog, along with alone time to see if you’re a good match.

In general, people need to adjust their attitudes when it comes to shelter dogs. Some people view them as damaged goods. Others don’t want to put in the extra effort of going to more than one shelter to see if there’s a dog that’s right for them. If we want to help curb the population problem, we need to resolve this poor attitude. We also need people on all sides to make responsible choices. Breeders need to ensure their dogs are going to the right homes. This is an absolute necessity if you are going to engage in breeding and selling of living creatures. And owners need to choose a dog responsibly – not solely based on appearance or preconceived notions about a breed. All of these would help with our problematic dog population. Spaying/neutering is a whole separate issue to tackle.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 08:54:22 pm »
Sleepy, there are certain genetic characteristics that tend to be generally true for different breeds. For example the golden retriever really is that happy and friendly as a general rule. The German Shepherd will challenge you for the pack alpha position as a general rule.

As far as appearance goes, I'm kinda with you. I believe looks should count, but after personality and activity level and other things are factored in. This dog is going to be with you for an average of 12 years (less for big dogs, more for small). You're going to be much happier with your furry best friend if you think he's a real looker. For example, if you're a daily jogger and have no small children around and can handle a dog that'll probably go deaf, then there's nothing at all wrong with choosing a dalmatian over say a visla because you really dig spots.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:28:35 pm »
Also, not all purebreds are created equal.  Some breeds are known for a lack of hereditary defects.