Author Topic: The Cult of the Baby  (Read 9439 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
The Cult of the Baby
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:31:59 am »
As many of you have no doubt noticed, I am a man who will never father children, either biologically or through adoption.  I refuse to have them in my life to such a degree, and I will go so far as to literally castrate myself if it comes right down to it.  Why?  There's lots of reasons actually.

• There's way too many people in this world already.  Using the biological process to become a father adds yet another mouth to feed, yet another drain on our ever more limited resources.  I view it as selfish to the point of stupidity to reproduce at anything beyond replacement rate.
  • With 1, you might think that, then, I'd want to adopt.  You are sorely mistaken.  I cannot stand children.  Babies are disgusting shit factories, toddlers are infuriating, young kids are almost always covered in a layer of filth a millimeter thick, and teenagers are assholes.
  • I have a vast swathe of potential psychological and medical ailments I could pass on to a child.  Depression, ADHD, borderline personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder, bipolar disorder, brain cancer, schizophrenia, and lupus, just to name a few.  The fact I can think even halfway normally, and am not currently fucking dead, is nothing short of a miracle.
  • I am extremely uncomfortable around children.  Conversing with them is difficult bordering on impossible, depending on their age.

There are more, I'm sure, but you get the idea.  I'm not a kid person.  Yet, when I reveal this to people, do they treat me with respect?  Do they at least admit that I might have a salient point?  No.  Society has indoctrinated them into believing that they must reproduce.  That, without a child, a man isn't really a man and a woman is merely a girl.  This is patently ludicrous, yet we're viewed as assholes, at best, pariahs at worst.  Why?  Well, its because of a system I refer to as the Cult of the Baby.

The Baby Cult has a disturbing fixation on reproduction, going so far as to deny reproductive autonomy to both men and women.  Think about it: if you're under 30, what are your chances of a doctor allowing you to choose to remove your reproductive capabilities?  Slim to god damned none.  What's the bullshit line he throws at you when denying you your right as both an adult and as a paying customer?  "You might change your mind, one day."  I might also change my mind about not wanting a Prius, too, but that doesn't mean its anywhere near the realm of possibility.  Yet, they feel it is not only their right to deny you your autonomy, but their moral obligation.  Again, it all comes back to society's distressing fixation on reproduction.

Don't get me wrong, reproduction is a necessary act to maintain a stable population and perpetuate the species.  However, I think its fairly safe to say that there are more than enough people, already.  If memory serves, there's over seven billion of us.  Few things on this planet outnumber us, and not a single other species can match our technological capabilities.  If we kept at replacement rate, and nothing more, then we'd still get all the brilliant doctors, scientists, and lawyers the next generation has to offer, but we wouldn't be overburdening our already heavily-taxed natural resources.  Yet, even with the threat of imminent overpopulation, with no possible way to solve it as of yet, we still have our basic, primate urge to propagate beyond our ability to sustain ourselves.  Those who contain their base, animalistic urges are viewed as cold, hateful, and unfriendly.  Ironic, considering a lot of us tend to have the best interests of our entire species in our hearts.  But, the Cult persists.  Continues to insist that we are the ones that don't care.  They hold people like Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar as paragons instead of the unthinking beasts that they are.

Why?  We have to evolve.  We must evolve.  The sooner, the better.  Well, that, or find a way to colonize another planet.  Probably Mars.  Either one would work.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

Re: The Cult of the Baby
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:47:16 am »
Personally, I'll never ever have kids because I simply hate kids. Nothing more to it than that, really. Well, I guess if you want a higher reason than that, it's also because I know that as a father I'd be neglectful at best and outright abusive at worst, but that's just a result of me hating kids. Other than that, eh, I'm not going to pretend I'm trying to save the earth by not breeding or anything like that.

That said, boy to I hear you. People who expect you to have kids are utterly insufferable. I wouldn't go so far as to call them a cult (seems just a tad melodramatic, if I'm totally honest), but I can more than understand why you'd want to punch the lot of the smug little cunts in the face. Multiple times. While wearing steel gauntlets.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:54:19 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:51:22 am »
Those same people get weird if you have more than the considered norm as well.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:14:55 am »
Personally, I'll never ever have kids because I simply hate kids. Nothing more to it than that, really. Well, I guess if you want a higher reason than that, it's also because I know that as a father I'd be neglectful at best and outright abusive at worst, but that's just a result of me hating kids. Other than that, eh, I'm not going to pretend I'm trying to save the earth by not breeding or anything like that.

That said, boy to I hear you. People who expect you to have kids are utterly insufferable. I wouldn't go so far as to call them a cult (seems just a tad melodramatic, if I'm totally honest), but I can more than understand why you'd want to punch the lot of the smug little cunts in the face. Multiple times. While wearing steel gauntlets.

It might be a bit...dramatic, but, at least from where I'm sitting, its at least somewhat accurate.  They invite you in with promises of happiness and personal fulfillment (the two biggest arguments I see from people regarding having kids), but the moment you start displaying individual thought, or worse, actively reject their offering, you are shamed for it, if not outright ostracized.

@Rookie: I'll grant ya that, but they still treat you a hell of a lot better than if you decide to have none.  Again, look at the Duggars.  Whenever its revealed that their sparkly-clean image is little more than a facade, a mountain of people come to their defense, lionizing them as victims of unjust persecution.  Its not just Quiverfull whackjobs that do this, either, but otherwise sane, normal people.  Its a system of indoctrination every bit as insidious as rabid nationalism, and just as damaging to us as a species.

Thing is, I accept that I'd probably at least be an okay father.  Not the best, certainly, but not abusive or intentionally neglectful.  I just don't want to be one.  I'm much more comfortable being the cool uncle that teaches my brother's kids to troll their parents and light their farts on fire.  Bro teaches them how to be productive members of society, I teach 'em how to have fun.  I just don't want 'em in my life 24/7.  I have a hard enough time taking care of myself.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:19:19 am »
i'd love to have kids someday, but since my diagnosis (and my checking the family history), i don't want to pass on my bad brain.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:21:04 am »
Personally, I think the demonization of childfree people is sick and appalling.  It's a legitimate lifestyle choice, and it doesn't hurt anybody.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 10:24:35 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if we were less trusted than atheists.  Then again, being an atheist, I'm likely less trustworthy than Ultra Zombie Hitler-Stalin.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 10:37:27 am »
Children can eat up your spare time like a pack of rabid piranhas.  This I'm understanding of and I don't think you're selfish for not wanting children.

But I'll gripe that there are members of the CF community acting like the CF demographic spokesman who give me the impression that I should hide them from the public until they've reached adulthood.  I guess it's the mirror of the "pro-family" demographic and that it's not a big slice of the CF crowd, but I happen to take more notice because of complaints like "pictures of children is what spoiler tags are for because they're pressuring me to sprog" are difficult not to take personally.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 10:55:40 am »
Every group has its assholes, that's for sure.  However, CF folks' default behaviour isn't to socially outcast those who disagree with them, or treat them like children.  Contrast to members of the Baby Cult, who do that almost every single time someone mentions they don't want children.  The child-free people who treat others like shit are outliers (really, Firefox?  "Outliers" isn't in your dictionary?).

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 02:07:48 pm »
Every group has its assholes, that's for sure.  However, CF folks' default behaviour isn't to socially outcast those who disagree with them, or treat them like children.  Contrast to members of the Baby Cult, who do that almost every single time someone mentions they don't want children.  The child-free people who treat others like shit are outliers (really, Firefox?  "Outliers" isn't in your dictionary?).

They're that rare group, much like the alleged atheists that make a big deal at a restaurant when people at another table are praying.

I'm sure there are a few of them out there, but the trope is born out of a feverish mind searching for persecution where there is none.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 02:30:47 pm »
I have a couple of the little monsters and love them dearly but kids really aren't for everyone. Counseling someone with reservations to have a child is one of the most irresponsible things you can do since it's liable to directly fuck up three lives and indirectly fuck up several more when the inevitable shit hits the fan.

What we parents as a group should be doing is saying "look, you have NO idea what you are getting yourself into..."

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 02:51:15 pm »
Ravynous, do you really get that Baby Cult attitude from everyone who's a parent?  Because I could say that the default behavior of parents is that they have rewards from the experience they wouldn't trade, but they wouldn't think you need to be a second class citizen for not agreeing.  That's generally what I've experienced in this area. 

And while I'll say that I enjoy the rewards that come with parenting, I'd be the last person to look down my nose at you if the tougher moments and lost time are too high a price.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 03:02:08 pm »
A lot of the reason why people are so adamant about "you must have children" and why they can't understand why someone wouldn't want them is due to biological instinct. Every species has an innate drive to reproduce, including our own, and despite how far away from our origins we've come, we still feel the same instinct and view people who don't act on it as somehow defective.

I do agree with your reasoning, to be honest, and I would respect someone who chose not to have children much more than someone who wound up having a lot of them for ridiculous reasons like the Duggars. Personally, I'm undecided on whether I want to have children, though at the moment I'm leaning towards not wanting them. My financial situation has never been very stable (a hazard of my career path) and I've made some bad decisions that have left me uncertain as to how to keep proceeding in life. If I can't get my life under control and direct it where I need it to, what makes me qualified to tell someone else how to do the same?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 04:02:46 pm »
i'd love to be a father, and more than that, i'd love to be a good father, but i'm just not sure i can pull it off. what's for sure is that if i can't provide stability for any future children (financially, emotionnally, etc...), i'll hold it off until i can.

that's if i take the leap and risk them being cursed with mental illness. my mom's depressive, my sister's bipolar, mental illness runs in the family like usain bolt on the track.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 04:04:18 pm »
A lot of the reason why people are so adamant about "you must have children" and why they can't understand why someone wouldn't want them is due to biological instinct. Every species has an innate drive to reproduce, including our own, and despite how far away from our origins we've come, we still feel the same instinct and view people who don't act on it as somehow defective.

Kinda. There's lots of nationalism mixed up in there; just ask people who would normally oppose cult-of-the-baby what they think about countries with zero or negative population growth. Heads explode.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.