Author Topic: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread  (Read 28565 times)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2014, 02:34:34 pm »
What would you even call a government run by comedians?

An improvement.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2014, 06:56:22 pm »
I'm starting to wonder if elections are rigged by the comedians to ensure that they'll have material for the following years.

Damn it, he's onto us.

Dane Cook, is that you?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
What would you even call a government run by comedians?

An improvement.

'Senator Fluffy' has a nice ring to it, if you ask me.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2014, 08:27:16 am »
I'd vote for Lewis Black.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2014, 09:13:06 am »
Knowing how these things tend to go, it would probably end just as badly as regular politics. Each election would be between the likes of either Dane Cook or Paulie Shore. Come to think of it, I think we're much better off with things as they are.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2014, 10:28:12 am »
If he were still alive, I'd suggest we make Moe Howard the President, but alas...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2014, 10:35:55 am »
Rick Mercer for PM!

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2014, 12:03:49 pm »
Don't forget that Al Franken is a Senator.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2014, 03:53:58 pm »
They have to get a super majority vote to bypass a veto. Even though the republicans control the senate, I don't believe they have enough for a 2/3rds super majority vote.

They'd need about 45 Democratic Representatives to defect in the House, and at a bare minimum 13 Democratic Senators (if every outstanding race goes to the Republicans) to defect, in order to override a veto. That's not going to happen.

Which means they can screw up everything Obama has done and still blame him.  What are the chances that we could enter yet another recession soon?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2014, 04:33:49 pm »
They have to get a super majority vote to bypass a veto. Even though the republicans control the senate, I don't believe they have enough for a 2/3rds super majority vote.

They'd need about 45 Democratic Representatives to defect in the House, and at a bare minimum 13 Democratic Senators (if every outstanding race goes to the Republicans) to defect, in order to override a veto. That's not going to happen.

Which means they can screw up everything Obama has done and still blame him.  What are the chances that we could enter yet another recession soon?

Depends. The Fed will probably keep cushioning the blow.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2014, 07:11:56 pm »
Ugh. 4 more years of a batshit-crazy GOP governor.  At least the state House remained Democrat, so that'll keep the state from sinking as far down as it could go in 4 years.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2014, 07:16:35 pm »
I take it that none of you head about this 65 percent possibility that we'll be in another Republican Recession by the end of 2015? Worth a read anyhow. http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Predictors-1929-Stock-Market-Crash-Recession-Economy/2014/11/11/id/606657/

Even if it does not happen, and there is a good chance it won't, Republicans are nothing but bad news. You never hear of Republicans recovering this country from depressions and recessions, because they are the cause of them.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:02 pm »
Just remember, the last time Republicans controlled this many state governments was 1928. Hmmm, anything happen shortly after that?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2014, 01:29:33 am »
Just remember, the last time Republicans controlled this many state governments was 1928. Hmmm, anything happen shortly after that?

Yes. Joseph Stalin launched the first five year plan. A British court declared that Canadian women are technically "persons" and therefore allowed to be in the senate. And Martin Luther King was born soon after that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2014, 01:34:15 am »

Yes. Joseph Stalin launched the first five year plan. A British court declared that Canadian women are technically "persons" and therefore allowed to be in the senate. And Martin Luther King was born soon after that.

Al Capone orchestrated the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre.  Color TV was publicly demonstrated for the first time.  Vatican City became a sovereign state.