Author Topic: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread  (Read 28563 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 10:26:57 pm »
<Spuki rant snipped for length>

Y'know, every single time you post one of your rants on spirituality and the age of aquarius and whatnot, I am tempted to reply and actually argue the point. I then decide to let it go because it would pointless antagonising and I generally like you as a poster, so why pick a fight.

But it gets hard to hold my tongue when your reaction to disagreement is to call the forum at large: weak, stupid, inferior, pus-bags, worthless, sons and daughters of shit, children of losers, shitbag nihilists, and who knows what else because I lost track.

It's not that it offends me. Words on a screen and all that. It's that clearly whatever measure of respect and desire for civility I hold towards you is not reciprocated. Given the tone you have set, I'm not going to bother with that anymore.

You're wrong. You're wrong about spirituality, but you already knew we disagree on that. You're wrong about progressives being a superior breed of person and conservatives being dumb lazy idiots and I'm running out of polite ways to try to show you that. The reason you are always confused as to why progressives don't win is because of your tribalistic thinking where your ingroup is always right and the outgroup is always wrong.

Many progressives are lazy, dumb, ignorant, or selfish. Many conservatives are honest, clever, educated and kind. They are not intrinsically evil. They happened to end up in the side opposite you mostly by accident of birth*, and because of the way politics works, their position seems reasonable to them as yours seems to you. Are they wrong on many things? Absolutely. So are progressives.

Reality tells you, over and over again, that it's not enough to boldly declare "We are right! We are better!" and expect a victory to come out. Your reaction to that is to say "But we are right! How could we not win?", every time. And when someone tries to argue some nuance, to point out why things don't quite work like that, you get mad and insult them for being pessimists. That's not how you get progress (You also don't get progress through invoking magic and new age fluff, but that's tangential to the point)

I'm not sure if you've decided to quit for good. I hope you haven't. If you are still here and reading this, chill for a bit and decide how you want to continue this conversation, if at all. Fair warning, don't expect respect for your views if you are are unwilling to grant it to others'.

*and if you think where you were born and who your parents are does not influence your politics, well, that's a whole other argument we need to have.
Σא

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2014, 10:43:59 pm »
Hoping now we can just talk about the election...

It seems as though Republicans will grab the Senate, as predicted.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2014, 10:49:32 pm »
Now to see what they'll do with it.

I expect an impeachment notice by January 21st.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2014, 11:02:48 pm »
They don't have the votes to convict.

Ironbite-Majority does not equal conviction.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 11:06:08 pm »
They're going to do it anyway, even if they can't convict. Tea party nutjobs.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 11:08:11 pm »
Voted for Wendy Davis and Lettica Van de Putte. Now that the polls are closed I am sure the Texas state is still as red as it has been for the last 20 years and we're confirmed 100% hopeless for anything wonderful. In other words, we've tried and we've failed.

You guys must be doing something right if the Texas GOP is scared enough to pass voter suppression laws. They won't be able to hold the demographic shift for much longer...
Keep in mind that the voter suppression isn't necessarily a deliberate goal of "stop voter fraud" laws. One of the biggest issues that the Republicans have right now is Tea Party candidates who sincerely believe the Fox News propaganda. You never want to have people representing you who believe your questionable propaganda and talking points. And right now, many Republican voters are terrified that the Democrats are (somehow) stealing elections.

(click to show/hide)

On a tangent, a friend of mine at work (I don't know his leanings) noted my sticker for having voted and said he refused because he didn't like the candidates. Specifically, he noted that the person running for county commissioner (held the job for years, running unopposed) is a freaking lunatic. My friend's father apparently works for the county government and has far too much.... personal insight into this, apparently. And to think, a few weeks ago I was shooting for a job there.

Oh yeah. Like I said: the Tea Party believes their own propaganda, in this case, the idea that President Obama has somehow committed some high crime or misdemeanor. Ironically, I would agree that he has sorta done so by signing the NDAA 2012, as well as various other "war on terror" measures, but even if you could legally impeach him for that, Congress would also have to impeach itself for approving of all that stuff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:10:57 pm by Nemo »
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 11:10:25 pm »
Yeah and it'll be the death knell of the Republican party as a whole as the Tea Party nutjobs see that the people they put in Congress can't get the scary brown person out of the White House.  Seriously impeachment is suicide as there is nothing, absolutely nothing, they can impeach him over and it'll stick.  Thanks the Patriot Act, Obama's Teflon.  And when the GOP does this insanely stupid thing and it fails, the Tea Party won't blame the Democrats.  I mean, they're a minority after all.  They'll go after the GOP because they're not Conservative enough.  Sarah Palin will ride that wave like she does her husband's dick, thinking she's a shoe in for a nomination for President.  But all it'll do is split the party.  And Bob's your Uncle, Hiliary's President, Congress goes Blue, and the GOP is in ruins.

Ironbite-2016 can't come fast enough.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2014, 11:17:41 pm »
Yeah and it'll be the death knell of the Republican party as a whole as the Tea Party nutjobs see that the people they put in Congress can't get the scary brown person out of the White House.  Seriously impeachment is suicide as there is nothing, absolutely nothing, they can impeach him over and it'll stick.  Thanks the Patriot Act, Obama's Teflon.  And when the GOP does this insanely stupid thing and it fails, the Tea Party won't blame the Democrats.  I mean, they're a minority after all.  They'll go after the GOP because they're not Conservative enough.  Sarah Palin will ride that wave like she does her husband's dick, thinking she's a shoe in for a nomination for President.  But all it'll do is split the party.  And Bob's your Uncle, Hiliary's President, Congress goes Blue, and the GOP is in ruins.

Can you say "Pyrrhic Victory"?

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2014, 11:18:14 pm »

Meh, President Obama didn't sign the Patriot Act, but he chose to extend it. He chose to sign the NDAA. He chose to continue the "War on Terror". His rhetoric is a vast improvement over President Bush, but that's about it.

That said, the Tea Party probably wouldn't be all that opposed to any measures which prosecute foreign sounding people, and I doubt they understand why the NDAA and war on terror is unconstitutional, if they understand that such things are problematic at all. As for 2016, don't brag about how great things are for us and how terrible they are for the Republican Party until Hillary Clinton is actually being sworn in. It all comes down to voter turnout. It is rare for a party to hold the White House for more than eight years, so the Democrats need to run someone who can get people excited to vote. But I honestly don't care too much about 2016. I'm worried about 2020. If the Democrats can win that year (a stretch regardless of how 2016 goes), they can finally undo some of the Republican gerrymandering. What the GOP did to the Democratic districts in my own state of Ohio is almost comedic.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 11:18:41 pm »
-Spunki having a stroke-

Only explanation I have.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 11:19:44 pm »

That would be the best thing that could possibly happen for Obama's legacy and the Democratic Party in general.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 12:41:27 am »
Meh, President Obama didn't sign the Patriot Act, but he chose to extend it. He chose to sign the NDAA. He chose to continue the "War on Terror". His rhetoric is a vast improvement over President Bush, but that's about it.

That said, the Tea Party probably wouldn't be all that opposed to any measures which prosecute foreign sounding people, and I doubt they understand why the NDAA and war on terror is unconstitutional, if they understand that such things are problematic at all. As for 2016, don't brag about how great things are for us and how terrible they are for the Republican Party until Hillary Clinton is actually being sworn in. It all comes down to voter turnout. It is rare for a party to hold the White House for more than eight years, so the Democrats need to run someone who can get people excited to vote. But I honestly don't care too much about 2016. I'm worried about 2020. If the Democrats can win that year (a stretch regardless of how 2016 goes), they can finally undo some of the Republican gerrymandering. What the GOP did to the Democratic districts in my own state of Ohio is almost comedic.

I strongly suspect voter turnout will be low, especially for democrats. Obama basically abused the democratic support base by being more of a republican than Bush was, even after his whole campaign of change. In many ways this has made a lot of people who were hoping for the corrupt moneyed up politics to change to give up and realize that they really only get to choose between red corporates or blue corporates.

As for that gerrymandering, I wouldn't hold your breath, the democrats are weak willed in general and will either leave the districts as is because they honestly dont care, or back down when republicans challenge them about fixing the districts.

Obama did a lot of damage over these last 8 years to the democratic brand, while despite the craziness of the tea party the republican image has remained pretty constant. In some ways the crazy racist homophobic bigoted nut job tea partiers are preferable because as true believers they are at least honest, albeit regressive.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 12:52:11 am »
I'm worried about 2020. If the Democrats can win that year (a stretch regardless of how 2016 goes), they can finally undo some of the Republican gerrymandering. What the GOP did to the Democratic districts in my own state of Ohio is almost comedic.

The thing is, it's not Congress that a party has to win to set Congressional districts, it's the state legislatures. And the districts for the state legislatures are set by those same state legislatures.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 01:15:05 am »
I'm happy that my home state of Oregon at least is an oasis from the Red Sea of Fear & Ignorance that's been sweeping over the nation thanks to the combination of an angry, uninformed voter base, the influence of money in politics becoming unlimited, and the demagoguery of the GOP and their sycophants in talk radio, Wingnut blogs, and Fox News. That, and the Democrats spinelessness And inability to stand for something. Even before the 2010 midterms, when the Democrats controlled all three sectors of government, they couldn't get much done because of the obstructionism of the minority GOP. Face it, they're complete cowards who are far to afraid of republicans for their own good.

They can't expect "let's curl up in a ball and hope the GOP nutballs self destruct" to be a working strategy.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:20:33 am by mythbuster43 »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:17 am »
As my mother put it, "Democrats couldn't keep hold of their dicks if they had superglued them to their hands."
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet