Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2071266 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #6015 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24:32 am »
^Sounds like you and I went to the same college.  The University of Taught My Damn Self.  I have several doctorates from there.

Know what would be handy? If testing high enough in certain categories meant you could get credit for it and skip ahead. Like, you test so high in Subject A that you can skip all of freshman and half of sophomore-level Subject, you'd be able to just jump into the one you still need. Obviously if you want a degree or certificate you'd have to take some actual classes (because that's how universities work, and some stuff you can't do without that kind of training) but I wonder how many people could get through college with less debt if this was allowed?

Some Ivy League universities are already making some free online classes- the way I see it a dedicated person mastering some subject on their own, getting credit for them, and paying for as-needed classes could get their diploma at far less cost.

That's something I've wanted to see for a long time.  I've studied programming for 12 or 13 years (a little hard to gauge since I started in 7th grade, and my school ages were a little wonky as my birthday's in very late September), and I'd like to have some of that credited toward me in a meaningful way.  No, I'm not a professional, and there's still more for me to learn...there always will be, but I know enough that a lot of the entry-level college courses would probably be, for the most part, a waste of time rehashing shit I already know.  I know object-oriented programming (fun fact: my two favourite languages are C++ and C#), I effing know data structures and how to manipulate them, and I'm even beginning to learn about threading.

It would help if the college which I plan on attending would teach real languages, and not either weird esoteric ones like R (which is mainly for statistical programming) or ones that fucking nobody uses anymore, like pure C.  The closest they get, currently, is Java and even THAT is demonstrably inferior to anything in the .Net library of languages.  If I could convince a professor to use C# and Visual Studio, I'd be a happy sailor.

Though, if nothing else, I'd be happy if I could move them toward a real IDE that's NOT fucking Vim or Vi.  I don't want to touch the filth that's Linux if I can help it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:26:08 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6016 on: November 14, 2013, 12:20:14 pm »
I'm so tired of hearing about Rob Ford.
This. So much this. Gods, why won't he just go away?

I've never heard of Rob Ford...

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6017 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:16 pm »
I'm so tired of hearing about Rob Ford.
This. So much this. Gods, why won't he just go away?

I've never heard of Rob Ford...

Ford's the mayor of Toronto. The media is obsessing over him right now because of a substance abuse non-issue.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #6018 on: November 14, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »
It's just the way the masses live vicariously through other people. We saw the same shit happen with Marion Barry, the Mayor of DC, decades ago.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6019 on: November 14, 2013, 06:25:24 pm »
The biggest problem I have with the Ford fiasco is that he's done countless horrible things in his professional life, ranging from homo/transphobia, classism, sexism and racism to being abusive of the people around him, yet all people seem to care about is substance abuse in his personal life. Don't get me wrong, I can absolutely see why all of this calls his judgment into question (to say the least), but there was plenty to criticize long before his use of alcohol and drugs came to light.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #6020 on: November 14, 2013, 09:02:48 pm »
Transphobia is hardly even a blip in the public consciousness right now. Judging by today's standards, I wouldn't care too much if politicians said stupid things about that subject.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #6021 on: November 14, 2013, 09:11:24 pm »
Transphobia is hardly even a blip in the public consciousness right now. Judging by today's standards, I wouldn't care too much if politicians said stupid things about that subject.

Most people tend to give their friends a free pass on transphobia, or well, bigotry in general. That doesn't mean it's right or that such bullshit should be allowed.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #6022 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:09 pm »

Most people tend to give their friends a free pass on transphobia, or well, bigotry in general. That doesn't mean it's right or that such bullshit should be allowed.

Yes, but there are a lot of social justice issues out there that most people give short shrift to. Hell, I support quite a few causes that the public either doesn't care about or foams at the mouth at the mere mention. The only way to make transphobia an issue that the public understands is to run a media campaign educating people about it.

If public figures say stupid things about those issues in the meantime, it doesn't get me too riled up. With a successful media campaign, they'll be eating those words later.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #6023 on: November 14, 2013, 10:01:52 pm »
So, I don't deserve dignity lest I meet some bullshit social burden of proof... You are effectively saying I don't matter as a human being.

I'm glad you weren't alive in the 1950's, cause you would be, and you are, on the wrong side of history.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6024 on: November 14, 2013, 10:05:25 pm »
Well, this should be amusing. Anyone else for popcorn?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6025 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:27 pm »

One step ahead of ya there. *plops down big bowl of popcorn*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #6026 on: November 14, 2013, 10:15:45 pm »
So, I don't deserve dignity lest I meet some bullshit social burden of proof... You are effectively saying I don't matter as a human being.

When did I say that?

I was just saying that I assume ignorance first when a public figure says something stupid, especially with a topic that the public is not educated about.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6027 on: November 14, 2013, 11:59:35 pm »

One step ahead of ya there. *plops down big bowl of popcorn*
*noshes Juinior Mints*
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #6028 on: November 15, 2013, 01:00:51 am »
I don't want kids. I have PCOS. I can't find to many forums out there where there are PCOS sufferers who also see infertility as their silver lining. I've actually been told I'm terrible for saying I don't want kids; seriously, it's not like I'm going around to the people talking about how they hope to conceive/not miscarry this time and going "hahaha, glad I'm not you!".
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6029 on: November 15, 2013, 09:18:16 am »
I don't want kids. I have PCOS. I can't find to many forums out there where there are PCOS sufferers who also see infertility as their silver lining. I've actually been told I'm terrible for saying I don't want kids; seriously, it's not like I'm going around to the people talking about how they hope to conceive/not miscarry this time and going "hahaha, glad I'm not you!".

Can I hug you? I have PCOS and I'm quite glad that it comes with infertility. I've gotten the whole "You'll change your mind about kids" thing a million times, and people saying I must be heartless for not wanting a little bundle of joy. Right, I'll change my mind about having a little screaming shit machine because it's so joyous...gotcha.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades