Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111548 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #510 on: February 03, 2019, 10:04:55 am »
I know the game well. Maybe I just live in the wrong place. I see violence all around md to the tune of almost (but not quite) a murder a day with over 700 non fatal shootings a year. Muggings, robberies, car jacking, and sexual assault up to and including rape are all at 20 year highs and rising. My hometown feels less safe than Iraq because at least there I was allowed to shoot back. So I see people calling for violence as I sit here in Baltimore where that is more a portent of things to come rather than a silly little turn of the phrase.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #511 on: February 03, 2019, 04:00:44 pm »
I'll admit I have a bit of a different perspective. The most violent thing I've ever been involved in was a punching match in middle school, one that ended after about a minute - not exactly high tier stuff. And I'm itching to see my elected leaders, well. Let's not say "put up a proper fight", but actually stand up to the right-wingers that have been degrading and sliming them for over a generation now. To actually put their foot down and say "No, we're not going to work with you, because you won't work with us", and actually mean it for once. We got a glimpse of that with Pelosi recently and I loved it. She stood firm, she didn't give Trump what he wanted, and in the end he was forced to cave. That's the kind of thing I want to see more of. Not literal kneecapping, obviously, but political obstinancy.

I hope that helps clear things up.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #512 on: February 04, 2019, 10:59:04 pm »
If men got pregnant, abortion would be declared a divine right. Change my mind.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #513 on: February 07, 2019, 06:07:42 pm »
I knew tumblr radfems had no morals… But watching some of them vehemently defend two women sexually assaulting a trans woman in a bathroom is disgusting. There is no way around it - groping someone’s butt and their chest and exposing your genitals to them and locking them in a bathroom absolutely is sexual assault and it should be condemned by everybody, especially feminists. Imagine having so little empathy for others that you will defend sexual assaulters because they are women and the victim is trans. Some of you post graphics that say “believe survivors, trust survivors, respect survivors” until the victim is part of a group you don’t politically approve of. Absolutely disgusting. Some of you truly have no empathy for anyone who is outside of your in group.

For the record, they're talking about the reactions to this. The women who did this are disgusting human beings, and the same goes for anybody who defends them knowing what they did.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #514 on: February 16, 2019, 05:08:20 am »
I knew tumblr radfems had no morals… But watching some of them vehemently defend two women sexually assaulting a trans woman in a bathroom is disgusting. There is no way around it - groping someone’s butt and their chest and exposing your genitals to them and locking them in a bathroom absolutely is sexual assault and it should be condemned by everybody, especially feminists. Imagine having so little empathy for others that you will defend sexual assaulters because they are women and the victim is trans. Some of you post graphics that say “believe survivors, trust survivors, respect survivors” until the victim is part of a group you don’t politically approve of. Absolutely disgusting. Some of you truly have no empathy for anyone who is outside of your in group.

For the record, they're talking about the reactions to this. The women who did this are disgusting human beings, and the same goes for anybody who defends them knowing what they did.

Remember that only males do this kind of sick, evil shit to other people according to TERFs

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #515 on: February 16, 2019, 06:21:59 am »

Remember that only males do this kind of sick, evil shit to other people according to TERFs

Remember that, according to TERFs, trans women are actually male, therefore it must have been the trans woman who was at fault here.

<barfs>
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #516 on: February 16, 2019, 11:04:05 pm »

Remember that, according to TERFs, trans women are actually male, therefore it must have been the trans woman who was at fault here.

<barfs>

She has a penis, so obviously she wanted it therefore its not rape.

brb chugging bleach because it tastes better than my mouth after even thinking about typing that shit.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #517 on: February 23, 2019, 05:20:33 am »

Once again: It doesn't matter if 4Chan started this "ironically" or not, if the end result is that a bunch of Neo-Nazis and White-supremacists are using the meme unironically it is a racist meme.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #518 on: February 24, 2019, 03:33:44 am »
Didn't twitter people start censoring names of problematic people they didn't like at one point? No wonder /pol/ would pick it up and make it into some kind of anti-semite thing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #519 on: February 24, 2019, 06:18:34 am »
Unfortunately, that meme doesn't really work on black people because there's no character that looks even remotely like a watermelon or bucket of fried chicken.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #520 on: February 24, 2019, 10:16:21 pm »
I have never understood why either fried chicken or watermelon are considered bad. They're both delicious. Although not as good as Mangos.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #521 on: February 25, 2019, 01:01:06 am »
All I know is that it's a stereotype. Why watermelon and fried chicken are considered bad, if at all, is well outside of my knowledge.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #522 on: February 25, 2019, 02:17:25 am »
All I know is that it's a stereotype. Why watermelon and fried chicken are considered bad, if at all, is well outside of my knowledge.

I think it's because they're food traditionally associated with African-Americans (because they were cheap so masters could give them to slaves, and black people could afford them back in the Jim Crow days) so now the association of fried chicken and watermelon to black people is a racist trope.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #523 on: February 25, 2019, 02:27:59 am »
Yeah, raising chickens was something cheap that the slaves (and poor free men) could afford to do and watermelon contains a lot of water which makes it a good snack for someone who is doing physical labour in the sun.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #524 on: February 25, 2019, 04:59:46 pm »
Another part of the reason for the stereotype was because a lot of freed slaves started growing watermelons after the Civil War. This was mainly for reasons of practicality: watermelons are easy to grow since nature does all the real work, which made them very attractive crops for beginner farmers.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.