Author Topic: Identical twins: not as identical as we thought  (Read 2955 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Identical twins: not as identical as we thought
« on: January 07, 2021, 12:51:10 pm »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/identical-twins-1.5864630

New research on the genetic code of identical twins indicates that in around 15% of cases, there are significant differences between the DNA of the two.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Identical twins: not as identical as we thought
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 04:27:13 pm »
It's interesting to me that the afterword was from a psychologist, I wonder if people really do assume that because two siblings look alike they're psychologically the same.

There's also a whole lot of mythology about the genetic similarity of identical twins which is straight up fantasy, including that the condition is genetically inherited, the consumption of yams increases a mothers chance of getting them and that they can communicate telepathically. They aren't bloody elves or vampires people. 

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 12:12:47 pm »
Reminds me of when our server at a Chinese restaurant swore she thought my brother and I were twins.  Don't see how, considering he's 5 years older than me and has a notably different face.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 06:31:35 am »
Reminds me of when our server at a Chinese restaurant swore she thought my brother and I were twins.  Don't see how, considering he's 5 years older than me and has a notably different face.

Some people aren't good with faces, that might be part of it. Anothers probably we're more able, generally, to notice things about the faces of people we know extremely well.